PDA

View Full Version : Pistol Suppressor 101

M4Fundi
02-22-12, 04:52
I am trying to get squared away on pistol suppressors. I was reading on Silencer Talk about "boosters", "different springs", "better or worse host weapons", "Threaded vs TriLug", etc.:confused: Lots to read over there, but I changed my email address in the settings and am now some how locked out to post.

I created a NFA Trust recently and my brother wants to get some suppressors ASAP. I know a little bit and have some experience with rifle suppressors (only Surefires) and need to figure out what I need to do to setup pistols to function with suppressors.

Do I just order say a new Glock or Beretta 92 barrel with the correct threading or do I need to buy longer barrels and have them custom threaded?

Do you need to change springs, links, or what?

Any pointers would be appreciated

Ghost__1
02-22-12, 05:45
I can provide limited insight in this. Of course i'm assuming that you don't have a particular pistol in mind. Boosters are used so that the extra weight of the can isn't impeding the action of the weapon. It boosts the blowback motion in effect making it seem to the function of the pistol that the can doesn't exist if you will. The other way to achieve this is to use a weaker action spring. Which may cause reliability issues unsuppressed. Imho the booster is the way to go however some accuracy suffers. I'm not sure if its even measurable though.

As far as threaded or lugged goes or good host weapons I cannot speculate.
If it were my choice I would be comfortable with typical handguns. IE Glock, 1911, HK45.

M4Fundi
02-22-12, 06:31
The plan is to use on 9mm:Glock, Beretta 92 and 45: 1911 and a HiCap 45 as yet to be determined.

Still haven't decided if want to get 45 cans and have 9mm adaptors or buy an actual 45 and an actual 9mm can.

Osprey and the Ti-Rant seem to be the top contenders. I have managed to find a few informative threads recently amongst the many less informative on a few forums. Unfortunately I am on a deadline, so do not have the time to slowly work it all out the way I would prefer.

Thanx!

Jambi
02-22-12, 06:46
FWIW, Ti-Rant on a FNP-45 Tac, no booster or different springs required.
Same Ti-Rant on my SA Hi-Cap 1911, required a lower spring that had to be swapped back out when shooting unsurpressed.
Your results may vary.

rjrivero
02-22-12, 12:52
FWIW, Ti-Rant on a FNP-45 Tac, no booster or different springs required. Same Ti-Rant on my SA Hi-Cap 1911, required a lower spring that had to be swapped back out when shooting unsurpressed.
Your results may vary.

The Ti-Rant has a built in Nielson Device. The Osprey does as well. I like both cans, but if you are only going to get ONE, I would probably do the Ti-Rant. I just like to be able to take them apart and clean them. Don't get me wrong, I love my Osprey(s). But I shoot LEAD through the cleanable suppressors ;)

M4Fundi
02-22-12, 13:54
I thought you could disassemble and clean the Osprey?

cj5_dude
02-22-12, 15:19
You can't take the baffle stack out of the Osprey like you can the TiRant.

I have a TiRant 45 on an FNP-45 Tactical and it runs like a dream with or without the silencer on there. Get something that's a thread on mount. The only things I can think of with a tri lug mount are MP-5's but there may be others, I'm just not well versed.

You can order some pistols from the factory with threaded barrels, and there are aftermarket companies who sell threaded barrel replacements. It's all fun once you get started.

M4Fundi
02-23-12, 02:47
Thanks. Really appreciated

LonghunterCO
02-23-12, 10:23
The Ti-Rant has a built in Nielson Device. The Osprey does as well. I like both cans, but if you are only going to get ONE, I would probably do the Ti-Rant. I just like to be able to take them apart and clean them. Don't get me wrong, I love my Osprey(s). But I shoot LEAD through the cleanable suppressors ;)

As a shooter of reloads (read this a mostly Lead), this is a strike against the Osprey that I can not get past. If you are looking to do seperate 9mm and 45Acp setup I would also add the Octane HD to your 9mm canadates.

montanadave
02-23-12, 10:30
You can't take the baffle stack out of the Osprey like you can the TiRant.

I have a TiRant 45 on an FNP-45 Tactical and it runs like a dream with or without the silencer on there. Get something that's a thread on mount. The only things I can think of with a tri lug mount are MP-5's but there may be others, I'm just not well versed.

You can order some pistols from the factory with threaded barrels, and there are aftermarket companies who sell threaded barrel replacements. It's all fun once you get started.

I have a FNP-45 Tactical also. I'd like to get a suppressor but know absolutely nothing about them. Anything additional required to mount the AAC TiRant suppressor or are they just a "plug n play" kind of set-up? What kind of round counts can you expect to get out of these devices before some of the internals require replacing? And are those parts user replaceable?

Jambi
02-23-12, 11:01
I have a FNP-45 Tactical also. I'd like to get a suppressor but know absolutely nothing about them. Anything additional required to mount the AAC TiRant suppressor or are they just a "plug n play" kind of set-up? What kind of round counts can you expect to get out of these devices before some of the internals require replacing? And are those parts user replaceable?

Order the proper thread (.578x28RH) thats it.
Nothing to change or swap. And as CJ5 said, its a beauty.
A beast of a pistol and durable.
1500 rounds and counting on mine.

M4Fundi
02-23-12, 12:01
Do you order the barrel threaded to the suppressor's threading or do you order the suppressor to match the particular barrel's threads?

Jambi
02-23-12, 12:20
The majority of suppressor manufacturers 'should' thread their cans as you need, but with lead times and the 6 month process (for most of us) its just easier to order a non-custom thread on their can. Finding or threading barrels seems to be less of a hassle.
Only time Ive had this issue was ordering 2 cans (QSM, Delta-P) for an FAL. Both charged ~50 (?) bucks for the custom thread.
All other threads Ive needed have been standard.

mdoan300
02-23-12, 21:05
Great info, guys. Getting an NFA trust and a suppressor for my FNP-45T is also on my list of things to do for this year.

JasonM
02-24-12, 09:33
cool combo:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/45017_440158623887_52234888887_4845129_519650_n.jpg

Pappabear
02-24-12, 12:58
Same Ti-Rant on my SA Hi-Cap 1911, required a lower spring that had to be swapped back out when shooting unsurpressed.
Your results may vary.

And Ti rant and HK45. Want a threaded barrel for FNP45. That HK TI combo is movie quiet. Very nice

M4Fundi
02-24-12, 13:12
After much "high speed(less than my usual thorough)" :p research and then "trying" to find all my options and price them... as of yesterday I plunked down a pile of duckets on a Ti-Rant 9 and Ti-Rant45 and an M4-2000:D I guess I'm an AAC guy now;)

Thanks everyone for the help!

JasonM
02-24-12, 14:09
After much "high speed(less than my usual thorough)" :p research and then "trying" to find all my options and price them... as of yesterday I plunked down a pile of duckets on a Ti-Rant 9 and Ti-Rant45 and an M4-2000:D I guess I'm an AAC guy now;)

Thanks everyone for the help!

Wow! way to jump in with both feet

Pappabear
02-24-12, 14:13
The M4-2000 are a good way to go. The double chamber blackout is an awesome brake , provides best life for your can, but is too loud to run without can. Tirants are awesome. You will love it.

M4Fundi
02-24-12, 14:26

We are still planning on getting a 762 suppressor eventually.

Now it is just to decide which Muzzle Devices:)

M4Fundi
02-25-12, 02:03

Jason, can you tell me a little bit about your AAC 300BLK uppers?

And what makes the SR7 "optimized" for the 300BLK cartridge?

Thanks

mcmillanman5
02-25-12, 10:28
Your results may vary.

So just to be clear you use a fixed barrel spacer when running the can on your FNP45?

Jambi
02-25-12, 13:22
TiRant 45 .578-28 short piston

mcmillanman5
02-25-12, 14:01
TiRant 45 .578-28 short piston

I guess I was just thrown off by the wording when you said yours did not require a booster. That led me to think you used a fixed barrel spacer.

If you are using the piston and spring in the silencer that is a booster. I must have misunderstood, did you mean no modifications to the pistol?

Jambi
02-25-12, 14:12
You are correct.
That the TiRant already has a Nielson device and nothing 'additionaly' is required for purchase, is what I should have stated.

mcmillanman5
02-25-12, 15:44
Got it, thanks for the clarification!