PDA

View Full Version : Those with Sbr's and suppressor's

rapomstage3
02-22-12, 11:47
Im joining the nfa ranks with a kac block 3 sbr tomorrow and was also thinking of getting a suppressor. So my question for those with sbr's is how often do you shoot suppressed vs. unsuppressed? The reason I ask is I'm thinking of going the NT4 triple tap route. But I heard if you plan in running suppressed wait for the mams. I'm sure the mams brake does function well but damn that thing hit every branch on the ugly tree. So if I was going to be suppressed 95% of the time I guess it wouldn't matter too much. Not to mention none of my friends have suppressors so I'll always be stuck wearing hearing protection anyway. Please chime in and let me know how much you run suppressed. Thanks

kwelz
02-22-12, 11:53
My 10.5 is ran suppressed 90% of the time. Mainly because without the can it hurts almost as much for the shooter as it does for the shootee.

rapomstage3
02-22-12, 12:08
My 10.5 is ran suppressed 90% of the time. Mainly because without the can it hurts almost as much for the shooter as it does for the shootee.

Really that loud? Damn

Zhurdan
02-22-12, 12:11
They are loud. Have a KX3 on my 10.5" and it seems to help, for the shooter. ;-)

Now, the 8" 300BLK that I just bought on the other hand, will rattle your teeth! Might consider buying a 7.62 KX3 until the Surefire cans come out.

kwelz
02-22-12, 12:32
Really that loud? Damn

I am running an AAC MB on mine instead of a flash hider. It isn't just loud. You feel your bones vibrate. My buddy Stu fired a couple shots and told me to **** off. LOL

doriwoogie
02-22-12, 13:17
I am running an AAC MB on mine instead of a flash hider. It isn't just loud. You feel your bones vibrate. My buddy Stu fired a couple shots and told me to **** off. LOL

Did he say that because he was jealous or was it really that bad for him? J/k :D

Well all kidding aside, they can be pretty obnoxious especially if you are running a brake for a sacrificial baffle. I shoot mine almost always suppressed except for when people want a comparison or to see the pillars of flame from the Brakeout. The suppressor is also great for shooting at night as it gets rid of the giant fireball, and that works out well even though your friends may not have suppressors and you still have to wear ear protection.

motoduck
02-22-12, 13:32
There is a huge difference between muzzel brakes & Flash hiders on SBRs. MB can be bad enough to rattle your bones and make your friends go away. Not to mention how bad it is for you if you are shooting around structures or barricades. I have a couple of SBRs with MB that I will not shoot without a can for this very reason. As for how much I shoot with or without a can. I shoot 75% without a can. I don't like the extra weight/length and I always were hearing protection reguardless. I use a can mostly at night or when I am shooting someplace that I do not want to attract unwanted attention.
My new favorite can is the Surefire Mini. Light enough and small enough that I don't mind leaving it on. I have a KAC block II SBR, and I shoot it 90% of the time unsupressed. You will love the KAC!

rapomstage3
02-22-12, 14:06
There is a huge difference between muzzel brakes & Flash hiders on SBRs. MB can be bad enough to rattle your bones and make your friends go away. Not to mention how bad it is for you if you are shooting around structures or barricades. I have a couple of SBRs with MB that I will not shoot without a can for this very reason. As for how much I shoot with or without a can. I shoot 75% without a can. I don't like the extra weight/length and I always were hearing protection reguardless. I use a can mostly at night or when I am shooting someplace that I do not want to attract unwanted attention.
My new favorite can is the Surefire Mini. Light enough and small enough that I don't mind leaving it on. I have a KAC block II SBR, and I shoot it 90% of the time unsupressed. You will love the KAC!

What do you use for a muzzle brake on your block II? I use a BC 1.0 on my sr 15. I was thinking of moving it too the 11.5 till I decide my route.

davidjinks
02-22-12, 15:48
If you are going with the KAC can I would stick with the NT4 flash suppressor.

I have the TTT on my 10.5. It's coming off my 10.5 and I'm going with the SF FH556-212A instead. The TTT works and it works well for what it was designed for. However, it is painful. The concussion to the shooter is awful. Every time I drop the hammer I literally feel my teeth rattle. I use M193 as my main training round and can tell you that without a doubt, it is the biggest fireball maker I've seen. The heat is intense to say the least.

I had my brother and friend fire about a dozen mags out of it. They both had the same comment…Are you ****ing crazy!?!

I will say this though, the TTT kept that muzzle down and straight back. I was able to consistently put 30 rounds down at 50 yards and keep the shots in the "A". With an A2 FH, a little worse.

The pros that the TTT gave me, as a shooter, were not enough to counter the cons. I think I gave it a fair shake after 2500+ rounds down range. For ME it was just too much concussion and fireball.

Im joining the nfa ranks with a kac block 3 sbr tomorrow and was also thinking of getting a suppressor. So my question for those with sbr's is how often do you shoot suppressed vs. unsuppressed? The reason I ask is I'm thinking of going the NT4 triple tap route. But I heard if you plan in running suppressed wait for the mams. I'm sure the mams brake does function well but damn that thing hit every branch on the ugly tree. So if I was going to be suppressed 95% of the time I guess it wouldn't matter too much. Not to mention none of my friends have suppressors so I'll always be stuck wearing hearing protection anyway. Please chime in and let me know how much you run suppressed. Thanks

rapomstage3
02-22-12, 16:12
So if I try my bc will that be similar to the ttt? To get an idea of what it would be like? Also once thE suppressor is on does the brake matter then?

davidjinks
02-22-12, 16:40
I cannot comment on the BC as I've never used one. I could speculate that it'll be the same but then again, everyone is different.

Once the suppressor is on, the break does not matter. Meaning, you get a suppressed weapon as opposed to having a straight brake.

So if I try my bc will that be similar to the ttt? To get an idea of what it would be like? Also once thE suppressor is on does the brake matter then?

Magic_Salad0892
02-22-12, 18:32
If you aren't shooting at least 75% suppressed, go with a FH.

TACAV
02-22-12, 19:30
Meh, Im stuck in that decision process too.

"Do I want to put a Battle Comp on my 10.5" MK18?" .....

I wish I could try that setup out before I go buy another BC and install it and then decide to take it off.

But I mean, crap, I don't think people give the standard A2 enough credit sometimes.

motoduck
02-23-12, 05:31
I have been using a KAC QD FS on my Block II SBR. I have not tried the Triple Tap on it yet because (as others have speculated) I think it will be "too loud". I run a Triple Tap on my SR15 and have no issues with it. But, I ran a BC on a Colt 6933 for a while and I took it of and replaced it with a Surefire FH/mount because it was "too loud" for me. I suspect I would have the same reaction to the Triple Tap on the block II but can't confirm this.

rob_s
02-23-12, 06:48
I'm the odd duck. I find suppressors to be virtually worthless on centerfire rifle calibers. I own a can, and am around people shooting them rather frequently.

I still have to, or am supposed to, wear hearing protection as the suppressed 5.56 is not hearing safe. So what's the point? I get the priveledge of adding extra weight and length to my gun for... what, exactly?

I shoot my 9mm SBR suppressed because I shoot subsonics and can shoot without ears if I want to. I also shoot it in a steel match and if the RO doesn't hold the timer just right it means I get extra turns. :dance3:

I'm also weird that I have A2s on my personal guns, and most of my T&E guns. I hear I need to get a comp though. and a trigger.

Magic_Salad0892
02-23-12, 06:51
I'm the odd duck. I find suppressors to be virtually worthless on centerfire rifle calibers. I own a can, and am around people shooting them rather frequently.

I still have to, or am supposed to, wear hearing protection as the suppressed 5.56 is not hearing safe. So what's the point? I get the priveledge of adding extra weight and length to my gun for... what, exactly?

I shoot my 9mm SBR suppressed because I shoot subsonics and can shoot without ears if I want to. I also shoot it in a steel match and if the RO doesn't hold the timer just right it means I get extra turns. :dance3:

I'm also weird that I have A2s on my personal guns, and most of my T&E guns. I hear I need to get a comp though. and a trigger.

Yeah, you're the odd duck.

But hey, look at the bright side. At least you get the full benifit of running an SBR. Which would be length.

I prefer a suppressor. In fact, I hate shooting without them.

rob_s
02-23-12, 06:52
Here's something else I find amusing, from those that never seem to examine what they are doing and why, and forget where they've been.

My gun is too long
I need an SBR
My SBR is lighter and so has more muzzle climb
I need a brake to reduce muzzle climb
That brake is loud!
I need a can to make my brake quieter
I now have a gun just as long as the one I started with and still have to wear ears but now it's heavier too. Plus it's a year later and my pocket is a good $1-2k lighter!
Yay!
Post pictures on teh internets!

rapomstage3
02-23-12, 06:55
Here's something else I find amusing, from those that never seem to examine what they are doing and why, and forget where they've been.

My gun is too long
I need an SBR
That brake is loud!
I now have a gun just as long as the one I started with and still have to wear ears but now it's heavier too.
Yay!

That is kind of ironic. Let's not forget its twice the money too.

rob_s
02-23-12, 07:08
That is kind of ironic. Let's not forget its twice the money too.

thank you, I added that. and the year you had to wait for all the paperwork to circulate. :dance3:

Ironman8
02-23-12, 07:22

My gun is too long
I need an SBR
That brake is loud!
I now have a gun just as long as the one I started with and still have to wear ears but now it's heavier too. Plus it's a year later and my pocket is a good $1-2k lighter!
Yay!

Says the guy WITH SBR's AND Suppressors AND has over Thirteen THOUSAND posts on "teh internet"..... :eek:

rob_s
02-23-12, 08:43
Says the guy WITH SBR's AND Suppressors AND has over Thirteen THOUSAND posts on "teh internet"..... :eek:

yep, learned a lot about what not to do. People miss all the time that I'm not telling anyone to do what I did, I'm telling them not to bother. Money flushed down the toilet... so much money flushed down the toilet... and time wasted. But hey, if you've got money to burn and time to waste, have at it.

Who you going to ask about fires, the guy that's never been near one or the guy with singed hair? :p

Zhurdan
02-23-12, 08:50
Heaven forbid someone buy something because they "want" it.

I have a suppressor for my 16" AR and when I use that upper, it's pretty much suppressed all the time. When I shoot my 10.5" it's not as it cannot be in it's current configuration (KX3) and I don't really see the need to change it at this point as it's my primary training rifle and it gets shot a lot.

Bought a 300BLK because I wanted one. No real reason other than it's short and handy, bigger bullets and I can eventually put a nice can on it as it suppresses well.

I might even post a picture of it when it's all said and done. :D

Not every gun needs to be a super-ninja-50k rounds fired gun.

SHIVAN
02-23-12, 10:00
When I find the 6920 that allows me to take 5" off the barrel, or 30+dB off the report, with the twist of the wrist, and no paperwork...I'll go that route.

In almost every situation I've encountered so far, SBR with suppressor fits my uses, and needs, better than long and loud.

Shooting frangible ammo is the only scenario where it is both imprudent, and unreliable to shoot SBR & suppressor. So take the suppressor off.... :D

Money: I can always make more. Wish people would stop projecting their lack of budgeting skills on me. I keep hearing the, "You can only buy ammo OR suppressor OR training OR ....". Or you can find a way to do them ALL. Nike, bitches!! Just do it.

Time: Unless I get the "You're gonna die in a year" speech, I have nothing but time. It's a passive activity once you submit the paperwork, unless you are 'tard.

Weight: The penalty here is worth the trade-off. But I can drop all the weight with a spin of the wrist. I bet the guys who actually use PEQ's think the weight out front sucks too, but it's use outstrips the weight gain. I feel the same about suppressors. Again, I get huge gains in weight savings though if I choose to twist the can off the carbine. Seems like a net win for modularity.

Length: I lost 1" over the stock 6920 with my SBR and suppressor, but let's call that "a push" when suppressed. Huge gains though when I stow the can in a pouch, and I lose 5". Seems like a net win for modularity and choice. Add in that there are now shorter cans than my 2006 version, that offer just as much suppression, in a shorter and lighter package.

Speed: I keep hearing people tell me they are faster with their 16" carbines. I have never, not once ever, heard someone tell me I am shooting too slowly. Or my first shot was under par, or my splits were anywhere near the bottom of the curve. Sure I'm not Bennie Cooley fast, or LAV fast, but what desk jockey that you know actually is that fast? The top 1% of all desk jockeys? Sweet story, bro. Own that shit!

My nemesis is usually pulling a shot(s) because of bad sight picture and going too fast. Need faster reloads too? Sure that's me. Shooting fast? I got that one covered.

rob_s
02-23-12, 10:23
Heaven forbid someone buy something because they "want" it.

Not every gun needs to be a super-ninja-50k rounds fired gun.

I guess I missed where I said anything different.

In fact, if people would just say that up front we'd all save a lot of wasted time assuming that their dreamt-up fantasy "needs" are actual.

I got no issue with someone that wants something "just 'cause", but nobody says that. It's all about that "need" to remove 30 dB while clearing their house at 3 AM in their underpants. :rolleyes:

I guess I'm the idiot for taking them at face value.

again.

rob_s
02-23-12, 10:29
When I find the 6920 that allows me to take 5" off the barrel and 30+dB off the report, with the twist of the wrist, and no paperwork, I'll go that route.

If you find me the suppressed 5.56 SBR that's 5" shorter than the 6920 AND 30 dB quieter, I'll take it. Let's just go ahead and make it <140 dB at the shooter's ear so I can even shoot it without hearing protection.

rapomstage3
02-23-12, 10:30
You can't buy this kind of entertainment! Thanks for all the responses. I ordered my block III today and have some suppressor/brake dwelling to do. I'm kind of into the surefire mini that someone mentioned.

Zhurdan
02-23-12, 10:45

In fact, if people would just say that up front we'd all save a lot of wasted time assuming that their dreamt-up fantasy "needs" are actual.

I got no issue with someone that wants something "just 'cause", but nobody says that. It's all about that "need" to remove 30 dB while clearing their house at 3 AM in their underpants. :rolleyes:

again.

Wasn't picking a fight or anything. The fact is the OP HAS something already. He's most likely going to spend money on something else based on what he hears from others. At times, while I believe you are most definitely trying to be helpful, it seems very discouraging.

That's probably because, as you said, you've been there done that, bought the T-shirt and realized it wasn't worth it, and that's awesome. In this case, the OP is on the path to buy a suppressor. It appears he's already made that decision weather it is thought out or not. Hence why I mentioned this may very well be a "want" issue, not a need issue. With the amount of knowledge you have, you can even help out the "want" folks, if indeed you "want" to do so.

Wasn't faulting your logic overall, just in cases where people have already made a decision and want the best case scenario. Most likely they aren't going to be receptive to that logic even if it will save them the items on your list. If he'd given a specific "need" for it, totally different.

*ETA* Rob, in the post you quoted, I was typing it at the same time as your post above mine... if that helps to understand what I said in it. You said "But hey, if you've got money to burn and time to waste, have at it." That may have changed my response, but I'm just re-reading it all now. *

SHIVAN
02-23-12, 11:04
If you find me the suppressed 5.56 SBR that's 5" shorter than the 6920 AND 30 dB quieter, I'll take it. Let's just go ahead and make it <140 dB at the shooter's ear so I can even shoot it without hearing protection.

You're right, I wrote that poorly in my attempt at brevity. However, I know you're not ****ing retarded, and you knew exactly what I meant.

I can not make a 6920 barrel 10.3" with the twist of a wrist. It will always be 16.x". Or would be 21" with a suppressor.

I can not make a 6920 30dB quieter and retain the 16.x" length and weight.

I can, however, procure something that allows me to have the length of the 6920 and be 30dB quieter. As well as, with the turn of a wrist, be 10.x" long, and far lighter. Giving me superior modularity without the sacrifice of always being the longer 16.x".

SHIVAN
02-23-12, 13:19
Let me say, before this gets misconstrued: Everyone must assess their own needs, own budget, and own wants.

A COLT 6920, nearly bone stock, is a top shelf weapon and very capable. If I lived in a less than free state, or didn't have any way to acquire the cash, I would get a 6920 and all the ammo and training I could afford, and never worry about a suppressor or SBR.

Those things don't apply to me, so the best combination, for me, was a suppressed SBR.

The ability to change it to suit what I want, and making minor sacrifices in the process, seemed like a no brainer.

When someone described their suppressed SBR to me a decade+ ago, I asked, "So you mean it's the same length as this 6920 we're shooting, but quiet?"

I knew I was in trouble.

Ironman8
02-23-12, 13:46

again.

mehhh

MrM4
02-23-12, 14:15
The only time I run my SBRs without a can is when someone askes to hear them without.

All suppressed all the time.

doriwoogie
02-23-12, 14:52
You can't buy this kind of entertainment! Thanks for all the responses. I ordered my block III today and have some suppressor/brake dwelling to do. I'm kind of into the surefire mini that someone mentioned.

Just fyi, my friend has a sbr (10.5 HK416 upper) and he got a Surefire Mini. Sound reduction is not very good at all in my opinion compared to a regular size AAC (mine, M4-2k) and KAC (another friend's can, QDSS NT4), and it still has quite a fireball out the front. We tried it on a 16" barrel and results were much better. Just my two cents but I'd say get a regular can, it works better on a 10.5".

rapomstage3
02-23-12, 15:24
My local dealer just talked me into a 7.62 can from AAC saying you can fire 5.56 and .308 through it. I guess performances suffers only a little when firing 5.56. I'm pretty sold on all that versatility.

JasonM
02-23-12, 17:53
Just fyi, my friend has a sbr (10.5 HK416 upper) and he got a Surefire Mini. Sound reduction is not very good at all in my opinion compared to a regular size AAC (mine, M4-2k) and KAC (another friend's can, QDSS NT4), and it still has quite a fireball out the front. We tried it on a 16" barrel and results were much better. Just my two cents but I'd say get a regular can, it works better on a 10.5".

No 'free lunch' with mini cans... they are still quite loud. That said, for the size and weight, the sound/concussion versus unsuppressed is still improved.

I prefer the full-size performance and will deal with the extra inch or two and handful of ounces.

MikeCLeonard
02-23-12, 21:22
I must say, I love 10.5"-11.5" SBR's with the option of a suppressor.

An 11.5" rifle to me, feels pretty much perfect for maneuverability, balance, weight, and fun. In the 1:1,000,000,000,000 chance I ever have to use it in defense instead of the pistol that's always with me...I know it'll do that well also.

The suppressors I buy are pretty much for shits n' giggles...and so far, they still make me smile.

If NFA stuff didn't have any restrictions or costs...I don't see why any civilian would want a rifle barreled over 12 inches unless it's for long range shooting. For a civilian, what's the point of a 16" AR15 other than avoiding the NFA hassle?

Turnkey11
02-23-12, 23:16
I run the PWS KAC556 brake on my SCAR SBR, and with M855 it will put fire more than a foot out each side and clear the line of shooters until I put the can on or leave. The can stays on most of the time.

rapomstage3
02-24-12, 05:38
I'm glad I made this thread. It definetly has swayed me. I can say I will not be getting a 3t or full on brake and definetly will be suppressing. Most likely it will be the AAC 762sdn or whatever it's called. And from what I'm hearing in here it will be mounted all the time. Thanks everyone.

Watrdawg
02-24-12, 07:08
About 4 months ago I bought a 10.5" Noveske w/SB and it finally came in last week. I finally got the chance to go take a look at it and put my mitts all over it yesterday. Only thing I can say is "unbelievable". Compared to my 14.5" BCM it feels like driving a sports car compared to my 2500HD diesel. So much smaller and svelt feeling. There really is no comparison. The worst part about this process is waiting. I know you said you have nothing but time SHIVAN but the next 4-6 months are going to kill me.

Oh and by the way I went the SBR route because I wanted to and have no real operational need for it. This purchase was purely a big WANT and not a need.

SHIVAN
02-24-12, 10:05
The worst part about this process is waiting. I know you said you have nothing but time SHIVAN but the next 4-6 months are going to kill me.

First time NFA? If so, I hated it just as much as you. I've done the ATF clusterscrew of a process no fewer than 15 times now, maybe more.

After that first one, it's has become a completely passive activity for me. Send it and forget it.

The hardest one was when I bought an M16. That was torture knowing that I had 10,000 tied up, and it was going to be 3 months, or more, until I got to shoot it.

Watrdawg
02-24-12, 10:17
That would hurt even more. Send it and forget it was easy for the Suppressor. After getting the Noveske in my hands this will be a bit more difficult. Nothing I can do about it but wait, so no need to get worked up about it.

QuietShootr
02-24-12, 11:01
No 'free lunch' with mini cans... they are still quite loud. That said, for the size and weight, the sound/concussion versus unsuppressed is still improved.

I prefer the full-size performance and will deal with the extra inch or two and handful of ounces.

I don't know. I shot the **** out of a friend's new OPS M4S on a 10.5" over the weekend and I'm going to buy one a month for a while. It was MUCH quieter than I expected - I was expecting something like an XM177 moderator, and it was much closer to my M4-96D or HALO than it was to the XM177 unit (and I had one of those right there for comparison purposes.)

JasonM
02-24-12, 11:09
I don't know. I shot the **** out of a friend's new OPS M4S on a 10.5" over the weekend and I'm going to buy one a month for a while. It was MUCH quieter than I expected - I was expecting something like an XM177 moderator, and it was much closer to my M4-96D or HALO than it was to the XM177 unit (and I had one of those right there for comparison purposes.)

I'm not saying the improvement isn't awesome, but you do pay for the size and weight in performance.

If you go into it expecting it to be incredibly loud, you should be pleasantly surprised. But if you go into it thinking it'll be quiet, you'll be disappointed.

The 177 may be a 'silencer' according to the ATF, but it doesn't seem like one during use. ;)

Pappabear
02-24-12, 12:55
I run 3 guns suppressed all the time. If I shot with 5 guys and no Cans, I would pull them off for the day.

rapomstage3
02-24-12, 13:21
Does the ATF accept money orders?

ggp2jz
02-24-12, 13:22
Does the ATF accept money orders?

Yes they do

Watrdawg
02-24-12, 14:10
I did mine by money order. What the wife doesn't see the wife doesn't know about:D Writing a check would have been a dead giveaway.:suicide2:

QuietShootr
02-24-12, 14:44
I'm not saying the improvement isn't awesome, but you do pay for the size and weight in performance.

If you go into it expecting it to be incredibly loud, you should be pleasantly surprised. But if you go into it thinking it'll be quiet, you'll be disappointed.

The 177 may be a 'silencer' according to the ATF, but it doesn't seem like one during use. ;)

No, it sure doesn't. Informally, to me, it makes a 11.5" sound more like a 20", which still isn't quiet but certainly is more pleasant than a bare 11.5". The OPS M4S on a 10.5" LMT was entirely satisfactory for what I want out of a 5.56 can, and you really can't beat the price.

Polymerhead
02-24-12, 19:31
I shoot my 11.5" almost exclusively with the can on, even though it's a heavy AAC 762SD. The AAC 2-baffle brake mount is brutal without the can. With it, it's still loud but much less "blasty".

TehLlama
02-24-12, 20:56
My ears are worth a pretty decent amount of cash right now, which would justify my cans in it's own right.

The biggest item for me is being able to communicate if needed over a radio if I'm having to use that weapon in anger, followed by simply less obnoxious concussion or hearing damage if I have to fire one indoors.

I'm not that impressed with the volume of the M4S on my 10.5", but running it under an awning I really did start to see the difference. The 14th is better by a huge margin, but that compact can will end up on my 16" rifle where I'll be much happier.

The last one I'm not sure about because I haven't had the luxury of running IR equipment on a suppressed rifle - I understand that 5 grand and two pounds of crap isn't the most attractive, but the capability provided by that complete setup was too hard for me to ignore.

SHIVAN
02-25-12, 08:46
Can someone tell me exactly how long I have to own a suppressor, use it under varying conditions, itemize both it's strengths and weaknesses, and categorize the opportunity costs associated with it before I can get the "all clear" that the decision I made is backed up by my own firsthand experience and extensive evaluation?

I can only relate my experience. I can't pretend to speak for every person who feels they "wasted money" or "wasted time" by purchasing a suppressor.

I've shot indoors and outdoors solo, and with teams, and in every case, shooting suppressed was far superior.

Again, if you can clear a house with a stock 6920 (16.x" bbl), you can clear a house with a 15.x" suppressed SBR just as well, and communicate better with your spouse, children or teammates.

I can't account for everyone, but my personal evaluation, over a decade, says that I have not made a mistake, no matter how many internuts try to tell me I did.

What my personal evaluation and testing tells me, again, over a decade:

(15" - 8lbs - quiet) > (16" - 7lbs - loud)

Sorry if anyone, or anyone's friends and loved ones disagree with me.

Iraqgunz
02-25-12, 10:25
I actually agree with you 100%. Even though I have some rude friends who don't like to shoot their suppressors when we go out, I like to shoot mine suppressed and even more so when they join me.

Since I shoot outdoors 99.9% of the time, I like the fact that my signature is greatly reduced. I always recommend to new friends and associates that they should look at a suppressor if they can afford it.

Can someone tell me exactly how long I have to own a suppressor, use it under varying conditions, itemize both it's strengths and weaknesses, and categorize the opportunity costs associated with it before I can get the "all clear" that the decision I made is backed up by my own firsthand experience and extensive evaluation?

I can only relate my experience. I can't pretend to speak for every person who feels they "wasted money" or "wasted time" by purchasing a suppressor.

I've shot indoors and outdoors solo, and with teams, and in every case, shooting suppressed was far superior.

Again, if you can clear a house with a stock 6920 (16.x" bbl), you can clear a house with a 15.x" suppressed SBR just as well, and communicate better with your spouse, children or teammates.

I can't account for everyone, but my personal evaluation, over a decade, says that I have not made a mistake, no matter how many internuts try to tell me I did.

What my personal evaluation and testing tells me, again, over a decade:

(15" - 8lbs - quiet) > (16" - 7lbs - loud)

Sorry if anyone, or anyone's friends and loved ones disagree with me.

TehLlama
02-25-12, 15:16

I'm still having limited second thoughts about going to a 10.5" barrel with the shortest reasonable reflex suppressor - I'm under 16" OABL, and shorter than even my pinned 14.X" units, so if you're willing to make some sacrifices even the length limitation is there - just cost.

I'm pretty sure the SF Mini on a Mk18 style, or even a micro/M4M on a longer barreled unit if muzzle velocity matters more than sound intensity... I'm with Shivan on it being as simple as if you can afford it, it's worth doing.

glocktogo
02-25-12, 16:18
I only remove the can from my 11.5" 6933 to clean the QD mount area.

M4Fundi
02-25-12, 19:05
When I find the 6920 that allows me to take 5" off the barrel, or 30+dB off the report, with the twist of the wrist, and no paperwork...I'll go that route.

In almost every situation I've encountered so far, SBR with suppressor fits my uses, and needs, better than long and loud.

Shooting frangible ammo is the only scenario where it is both imprudent, and unreliable to shoot SBR & suppressor. So take the suppressor off.... :D

Money: I can always make more. Wish people would stop projecting their lack of budgeting skills on me. I keep hearing the, "You can only buy ammo OR suppressor OR training OR ....". Or you can find a way to do them ALL. Nike, bitches!! Just do it.

Time: Unless I get the "You're gonna die in a year" speech, I have nothing but time. It's a passive activity once you submit the paperwork, unless you are 'tard.

Weight: The penalty here is worth the trade-off. But I can drop all the weight with a spin of the wrist. I bet the guys who actually use PEQ's think the weight out front sucks too, but it's use outstrips the weight gain. I feel the same about suppressors. Again, I get huge gains in weight savings though if I choose to twist the can off the carbine. Seems like a net win for modularity.

Length: I lost 1" over the stock 6920 with my SBR and suppressor, but let's call that "a push" when suppressed. Huge gains though when I stow the can in a pouch, and I lose 5". Seems like a net win for modularity and choice. Add in that there are now shorter cans than my 2006 version, that offer just as much suppression, in a shorter and lighter package.

Speed: I keep hearing people tell me they are faster with their 16" carbines. I have never, not once ever, heard someone tell me I am shooting too slowly. Or my first shot was under par, or my splits were anywhere near the bottom of the curve. Sure I'm not Bennie Cooley fast, or LAV fast, but what desk jockey that you know actually is that fast? The top 1% of all desk jockeys? Sweet story, bro. Own that shit!

My nemesis is usually pulling a shot(s) because of bad sight picture and going too fast. Need faster reloads too? Sure that's me. Shooting fast? I got that one covered.

Amen, brother, Amen:)

The "you should not buy a Noveske, but something cheaper and put the $ saved towards ammo and training" comments get old. I will buy a Noveske and still put the same amount of $ toward ammo and training:D

I just bought 3 AAC suppressors in one day and I know I will enjoy them:p

SteyrAUG
02-26-12, 13:30

My SBR with a HALO cracks about like a .22 and while I won't declare that "hearing safe" it is much nicer to listen to than unsuppressed 5.56mm.

That is what you are getting, at the cost of extra weight and length. For some it is worth it, for others not as much.

TehLlama
02-26-12, 15:13

The "you should not buy a Noveske, but something cheaper and put the $ saved towards ammo and training" comments get old. I will buy a Noveske and still put the same amount of $ toward ammo and training:D

I made the switch myself after adding up my net investment in firearms - I have so much rolled into this, the cost difference between bargain units and custom Noveske hardware is minimal averaged out over total cost. Same with the suppressor investment - it's still a single digit percentage of expenditures, but absolutely worth the cost for the added enjoyment, and shootability for family members.

pruitt0212
02-26-12, 16:53
I personally have AAC MB's on both my 10.5" M6A2 and my Sig 556 SBR and run both un-suppressed about 75% of the time. Honestly, I don't mind the concussion force produced by the rifles. Everyone standing near me does though. Maybe I have just gotten used to it.

Watrdawg
02-27-12, 10:38

I also bought a Noveske and am glad I did. It was the 10.5" w/SB and the main reason was that I didn't want to tinker with the weapon to make sure it ran reliably supressed or unsupressed. I guess I took the easy way out. I also purchased the AAC M42K supressor for it. Sure OAL length is about the same as my 14.5" pinned BCM and the extra weight w/Supressor is close to my BCM but this is something I have wanted and not necessarily needed.

As SHIVAN said more money can always be made. If it does come down to a money issue in the future I just won't purchase or take more time to save up for what I want.

silentmark
03-04-12, 00:28
I run my 10.5" suppressed about 95% of the time. I'm using the basic KAC NT4 mount with my KAC can.