PDA

View Full Version : What stops an FSB from tilting?

vram74
02-22-12, 18:28
Forgive the dumb question but what prevents an FSB from tilting? I know they're pinned at the bottom, but that doesn't seem like that would be enough if say you were to drop your rifle or it took a hit to the side of the FSB.

William B.
02-22-12, 18:33
The FSB is fixed to the barrel using taper pins. They actually go through the bottom of the barrel (not far enough to damage the bore) as opposed to just clamping the FSB around the barrel.

vram74
02-22-12, 18:37
The FSB is fixed to the barrel using taper pins. They actually go through the bottom of the barrel (not far enough to damage the bore) as opposed to just clamping the FSB around the barrel.

Ah ok. Thanks for explaining it too me :)

ridgerunner70
02-22-12, 18:40
mine is tilted now:mad:

sinlessorrow
02-22-12, 22:34
here is a picture of a LMT

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/hoplophile/LMT_barrel_1.jpg

Breadstick
02-23-12, 13:11
Gasp...no parkarizedness under the FSB...on a LMT?!

Where are the mil-spec boys on this!! JK

Excellent pic. showing this.

That's why I like pinned vs set screw FSB's low pro or not.

Also shows why it can be a pain to knock those pin loose too.

Moltke
02-23-12, 13:18
I thought this was the lead in to a joke or something.

I suggest you look up the chart and read the explanation of features.

Iraqgunz
02-23-12, 13:34
Do you know why it's like that? Who said LMT was MILSPEC? They are good quality, but not milspec.

Gasp...no parkarizedness under the FSB...on a LMT?!

Where are the mil-spec boys on this!! JK

Excellent pic. showing this.

That's why I like pinned vs set screw FSB's low pro or not.

Also shows why it can be a pain to knock those pin loose too.

Breadstick
02-23-12, 14:19
I know, I was just joking hence the "jk" after the quip.

I apologize for the "bad joke" then.

Yes, I know why. Better/tighter seal. Atleast that's what I've learned in the past, when getting into the details of a DI system.

Yes, I have much respect for LMT.

Iraqgunz
02-23-12, 14:31
The point I was making is that there is a reason why Colt and some others have parkerization under the FSB. It's a difference in the manufacturing process.

Some companies install the FSB after the barrel has been parkerized and set into the upper receiver and some companies install the FSB beforehand.

I know, I was just joking hence the "jk" after the quip.

I apologize for the "bad joke" then.

Yes, I know why. Better/tighter seal. Atleast that's what I've learned in the past, when getting into the details of a DI system.

Yes, I have much respect for LMT.

trackstar55
02-23-12, 14:40
I am pretty sure LMT manufactories to Mil-spec.

They are ISO certified (which is a difficult and costly certification to obtain-it means their quality control is amazing) and they make their MRP 308 for the British military.

Breadstick
02-23-12, 14:49
The point I was making is that there is a reason why Colt and some others have parkerization under the FSB. It's a difference in the manufacturing process.

Some companies install the FSB after the barrel has been parkerized and set into the upper receiver and some companies install the FSB beforehand.

Oh, I guess I was reading to much into the point you're trying to make.

I understand, was just makeing a stab at the ones whom froth at the mouth about the park or nonparked under the FSB. no matter the the maker.

I saw a thread about two years ago where a fellow was going to sell his LMT barrel off because it wasn't "parked" under the FSB...there for was considering it lower tier......it was one of those "reading to much on the 'net" kinda deal.....I was WTF and didn't consider it a big deal....

again I prefer the pinned over the other alternatives, due to the unlikelyness off tilting or the like.

Iraqgunz
02-23-12, 14:52
We are talking about the 5.56 guns. I am pretty sure that LMT doesn't have a copy of the TDP.

Since they designed and refined their .308 rifle the L129A1 then yes, we could say that rifle is MILSPEC.

I am pretty sure LMT manufactories to Mil-spec.

They are ISO certified (which is a difficult and costly certification to obtain-it means their quality control is amazing) and they make their MRP 308 for the British military.

Breadstick
02-23-12, 14:56
I am pretty sure LMT manufactories to Mil-spec. They are ISO certified (which is a difficult and costly certification to obtain-it means their quality control is amazing) and they make their MRP 308 for the British military.

Im sure when it come to materials, testing, gas ports sizes, lower/upper specs etc.etc yes it's "mil-spec" To a point like most m4geries.

But not this

This is why if I'd want to go low-pro for whatever reason with a pinned FSB, I'll just cut it down.

Darkop
02-23-12, 15:07
Also if the barrel nut is over tightened or the pin is sheared or the upper receiver pin slot is enlarged the barrel can move in the direction of barrel nut torque, therefore canting the barrel and front sight assembly.

Just sayin'

Darkop

Eric D.
02-23-12, 16:29
Thank you for posting this. I've been told that the taper pins aren't supposed to pass into the barrel more than half their diameter. I've said before that I have a BCM middy upper with pin holes like the ones in this picture and I do not feel it is a problem.

here is a picture of a LMT

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/hoplophile/LMT_barrel_1.jpg

LMT is g2g but an ISO cert doesn't mean shit. There was a discussion on this and I will link it when I find it.

Page 5
http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=98378&highlight=ISO&page=5