PDA

View Full Version : SBR choices

phirehawk
02-22-12, 18:40
Okay, I'm posting this here because those who read this thread may better understand.

I want a rifle, yes... THE rifle. I'm a romantic who knows that this will never happen, but the idea of one rifle in a pack or one rifle that does it all is just... cool. So, in the world of the AR, there are a plethora of options. This will be an SBR and I'm married to it for life.

I was thinking of getting the Hydra as interchangeable mag wells and barrels would allow one stamp for an AK, Glock carbine, 5.56, 300BLK, etc... reviews have been sketchy and the product is constantly evolving and changing. Customer service according to TOS, isn't service at all. I have a feeling the quad-rail on that thing is HEAVY as well. Then again, a take-down AR that fits in that small a package would be neat. Going from a 9" gun to a 16" gun for a couple hundred bucks is a tempting proposition though. Plus, a barrel and bolt (and if need be a magwell) is a heck of a lot lighter than different uppers. One stamp, endless possibilities! I could also shoot subsonic 300 and 9mm at my local indoor range.

I also have an AXTS A-DAC-F lower with 45 degree BAD lever downstairs doing nothing. I could build a standard SBR, but then I'd carry a separate upper for each caliber (if I even had more than two - 5.56 and 300BLK) and couldn't shoot 7.62x39 reliably or 9mm from my Glock mags.

What to do? Any thoughts on the matter would be appreciated. This will be suppressed, but that's a whole other matter!

SMETNA
02-22-12, 19:07
Oh dear. Oh deary me

Where to start . . . .

LonghunterCO
02-22-12, 19:17
Now to totally rain on your parade. I look for I simple solution to my SHTF weapons. I have no experience with the firearm that you talking about, but "sketchy" review is what they call a clue.
Get a setup in a caliber that you like. Buy your ammo in bulk to get the most bang for your buck. Build a carry/support system to support it (mags, mag pouches, sling,etc.). Go to a good training school and run it with the ammo of choice and don't clean it (outside of lubing it). Totally ring out your rifle/ammo combo and your support gear. Learn your trigger, sights, recoil impulse. Learn your weapon's reloads from your setup (both emergency and admin). You will be light years ahead of the curve.

phirehawk
02-22-12, 20:36
Let me rephrase... I have thousands of rounds down range (over 16k documented in my Glock). I shoot weekly (handgun mostly) and already have a solid rifle as a go to gun. I used to compete in local steel matches and finally have time to do so again this year. This is primarily a toy. IF it pans out, it may make it to my pack, but I doubt it. It will fit in a small bag and will most likely never fire a shot in defense or anger. Since I'll be married to it though, I was just looking for some opinions. Yes, I have plenty of ammo, yes I shoot and train more than most though I'd never consider myself high-speed-low-drag or anything like that. If I need to make a solid hit, I know my limitations and that's good enough for me. So, back on the topic of gear choices...

SMETNA
02-22-12, 20:57
I mean, it sounds like you already know exactly what you want.

If you would, please elaborate on your current solid go-to rifle, as this will help folks better identify what you have vs. where you want to go with your Multi caliber suppressed SBR toy

K.L. Davis
02-22-12, 21:09
I am sending this to the NFA forum... there are like umptibajillion "best rifle for SHTF" threads already.

phirehawk
02-23-12, 14:36
Daniel Defense V5 Lightweight is my current gun. It only has 2300 rounds or so through it though. Fixed front sight, TLR1 in front of that and a folding rear Magpul. I have an EoTech for it, but can't get used to shooting it. I guess I prefer glass or perhaps a std dot style sight. Before that was a 6920 and before that was an Armalite. I am mostly a handgun shooter, but the compactness of a short barreled rifle makes too much sense.

usmcvet
02-26-12, 20:08
You're not married to it you can sell 'em so get what you want/need. That said I have 10.5" and 11.5" guns. The guns have different color furniture but they're set up almost exactly the same.

Check out the Noveske concealed carry back pack or look for a compact Sneaky Bag.

TehLlama
02-26-12, 22:06
I'd go with a 11.5" CHF upper from DD with a 9" OmegaX handguard (closest you can get to your current V5), and use your current lower if going the Form1 route, and then get a new one for your current upper.

Running a standard forged lower and 5.56 upper in a reasonable length isn't exotic, but they're common for a reason - they work, and you can afford to run them.

Kill By Number
02-27-12, 13:13
The LMT MRP In a SBR gives a lot of options in one gun that has a proven track record. I like the "fear the man with one gun..." concept. I chose the 12" piston 5.56 to start with. Don't want to derail into piston vs DI but I own both in this platform and prefer the piston. Yes DI is great and reliable as well from LMT! You can setup this same MRP in piston or DI, 5.56 or 6.8 spc, .204 ruger, and can choose chrome lined or stainless in most from LMT. If that's not enough you can have almost any standard AR barrel caliber (.300 Blk, etc) converted to the quick change MRP barrel for $150. The only downside I've found is that a suppressor won't fit inside the rail so min length for piston is 12" and for DI is 10.5". I run a JP trigger in the lower so i always have a great trigger and larue QD mounts allow great optic versatility with it.

All that said, I also want a MWS for a heavier caliber "one gun!" As I think there are too many size weight tradeoffs trying to do .308 and 5.56 in one gun.