PDA

View Full Version : Well this is embarrassing...

ra2bach
02-22-12, 19:26
I recently traded an M&P 9PRO, with 5" barrel, Competition/FO sights, PRO sear and I installed an Apex Striker Block, for an M&P 9Compact.

and I shoot the Compact better than the PRO I just traded... :confused:

shutup&shoot
02-22-12, 19:59
I've heard of other people that seem to shoot compacts better.

The most important thing is your happy with your trade.

djegators
02-22-12, 20:29
This is probably more common than many people would think. I know a lot shooters, myself included, shoot the GLOCK 19 better than the 17.

Magic_Salad0892
02-22-12, 20:37
This is probably more common than many people would think. I know a lot shooters, myself included, shoot the GLOCK 19 better than the 17.

I denied this for years. But yeah. I do too.

CoryCop25
02-22-12, 20:47
I shoot the Glock 27 and the Kahr K40 better than the Glock 22 and 23.

chewie
02-22-12, 20:56
I'm in the same boat. I shoot my G19 more accurately than my G22 or G23. First shot, successive shots, doesn't matter. It could be the Gen 4 grip for me though.

jklaughrey
02-22-12, 20:56
Ditto for me as well Cory, I shoot the 27 far better than the 22/23.

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk

TriumphRat675
02-22-12, 20:57
Some, me included, report that the 9c is more accurate in their hands than the FS 9. Whether that has something to do with the documented occasional accuracy problems in the FS M&P9's or some unknown strange small-gun factor I don't know...

Magsz
02-22-12, 20:57
Longer sight radius's have more potential for accuracy.

Having said that, they're just plain long guns and they require more muscle control to negate barrel sway. They also require more control under recoil in order to keep the sights aligned.

To each their own.

Rock on and enjoy the hell out of it.

willowofwisp
02-22-12, 21:08

Having said that, they're just plain long guns and they require more muscle control to negate barrel sway. They also require more control under recoil in order to keep the sights aligned.

To each their own.

Another factor I have found. I most often shoot a 6" s&w model 10 PPC revolver..my average score is 591 out of 600. I also shoot a 2" s&w model 10 PPC revolver...this gun has a 4" shorter barrel but my average score is still the same. The bullet is in the barrel for a longer amount of time with a longer barrel, this could be a contributing factor if your shooting slower/heavier ammo.

RagweedZulu
02-22-12, 22:49
Another one here who shoots my G27 better than my 23/22 and my G30 better than my G21. The short, stout barrels, combined with that dual recoil spring make for a tighter lockup and therefore, tighter groups.

ggp2jz
02-22-12, 22:50
Polymers I shoot better but its the opposite for 1911s

jaxman7
02-23-12, 11:57
There is a thread on here somewhere where some guys talk about being able to shoot their G26 better than a 19 or 17. I looked but couldn't find it. That being said I know that out to 20 yards or so, during slow fire, I can shoot his G27 more accurately than his G22. I can't sit here and give you exact numbers but I know I do. Maybe because there is less play between the front and rear sight making the front sight seem larger with less gap between the rear notch. I don't know but its weird I shoot the little fella better.

-Jax

ra2bach
02-23-12, 12:16
Some, me included, report that the 9c is more accurate in their hands than the FS 9. Whether that has something to do with the documented occasional accuracy problems in the FS M&P9's or some unknown strange small-gun factor I don't know...

thanks. but the gun I traded wasn't just the FS, it was the 5" PRO with comp sights, etc... and it was by no means inaccurate.

but for some reason, and even though I hate the M&P sights, when I shot the gun to evaluate it for the trade, it just printed round after round, a little high but right through the center of the target at 25ft.

On my FS I blacked out the white dots until I got tritium sights and I may do that with this...

ra2bach
02-23-12, 12:27

To each their own.

you may be right. but I was under the impression that having more length and weight tended to stabilize small movements.

something about this gun just felt "right" in my hand, even though I had the same size (S) grip insert in both. I know that I am the weakest link in shooting in that my trigger control causes my groups to open up but this is very interesting to me in that there might be some unknown interaction between how my hand fits on the gun and muscles involved in breaking the shot.

the Compact definitely does not have what I would call a "precision" trigger while the PRO had one of the best triggers I have ever felt on an M&P.

come to think of it, one of the best stock M&P triggers I have ever felt (other than the PRO) was on a Compact .40. it made me think long and hard about buying that gun even though I hate .40...

Magsz
02-23-12, 13:46
More weight means better recoil control but you will fatigue sooner.

Try running through a high round count training class with a 2011 limited gun and tell me how AWESOME that experience is. :)

Again, if you like it, rock on. No one can tell you what is better for your particular needs.

Its arguably semantics anyway as most modern duty grade polymers will get the "job" done regardless of grip size or barrel length.

Barrel length, grip size, grip angle, sights etc are mostly personal preference based upon mission specific goals.

The real question is. Are you having fun and do you feel confident that your firearm will accomplish whatever your personal goals may be?

fourXfour
02-23-12, 13:50
Your pinky finger hinders your shooting to a certain point. Your pinky is quite strong especially when gripping an object. I learned this the hard way when I flunked out of the patrol bicycle class. I used all four fingers on the brake and stopped a tad too abruptly on a few occasions. I was eventually told to only use two fingers when I applied the brakes.

This translates to shooting. I remember reading that an instructor would hold a knife next to the grip where the pinky would normally go.

Now for weapon retention that pinky is quite important.

Magsz
02-23-12, 13:56
Four, the pinky is a stabilizer, not a "power" finger.

Your index and pinky are stabilizers and your ring and middle are where the power comes from or so ive been told by a friend of mine that does alot of mountain climbing and can crush rocks with his bare hands. :p

Hogsgunwild
02-23-12, 14:02
I much prefer the M&P 9 Compact through USP Compact / Glock 19 sized pistols. The weight, grip size and balance seems to be all-around the best for me.

The other day I rented a H&K USP Compact .40 S&W on a whim. I always liked the gun but hadn't shot one in over a year. I shot a box of Magtech 180 grain range ammo. I put 19 rounds into an area smaller than the 3.25 inch orange ball on my (double) target at 25 yards. The rest of the shots were nearly all within six inches. Two shots were at the edge of the paper due to the kid next to me firing his WWI vintage bolt action rifle. .223s don't phase me but this thing rocked my boat.
I was so impressed with me being able to do this with ANY .40 S&W
(except for my USP Expert .40 S&W), especially a range rental with range ammo, that I went home and bought one off of Gunbroker.

Hogsgunwild
02-23-12, 14:23
Funny this finger thing came up as I was speaking over drinks about guns with a gun oriented doctor friend last night and how the fingers can affect you.

I mentioned that my M&P Compact .45 takes some re-acclimating to prior to me being consistent on target versus my Mid-size .45 or even my 9MM Compact. The doctor pointed out how the pinky and ring finger torque the grip and where my fingers rest on the bottom of my .45 Compact is probably why. He had more extensive technical jargon and had actually read up quite a bit on the topic but after a couple of large tequila drinks and my limited medical aptitude, this monkey walked away realizing I should just keep the guns that I hit the target with the best.

ra2bach
02-23-12, 16:29
More weight means better recoil control but you will fatigue sooner.

Try running through a high round count training class with a 2011 limited gun and tell me how AWESOME that experience is. :)

Again, if you like it, rock on. No one can tell you what is better for your particular needs.

Its arguably semantics anyway as most modern duty grade polymers will get the "job" done regardless of grip size or barrel length.

Barrel length, grip size, grip angle, sights etc are mostly personal preference based upon mission specific goals.

The real question is. Are you having fun and do you feel confident that your firearm will accomplish whatever your personal goals may be?

I always have fun. :D

I wasn't arguing, just commenting that it was surprising that a compact shoots as good/better than a comp pistol.

but regardless of high round count classes, I always understood more muzzle weight is conducive to stability. otherwise, why does my HS .22 target pistol have barrel weights...

for the record, I'm still more accurate with either my P226 or 1911 than the little M&P...

:dirol:

mikeith
02-23-12, 16:35
if only we could get a midsize m&p 9mm like the .45 :rolleyes:

K Town
02-23-12, 19:45
something about this gun just felt "right" in my hand

The first time I took my 229 out to the range I shot my best groups with it even though my 226 has the factory action job and longer sight radius bla bla bla :lol:. I love my 226 to death but my 229 is my soul mate and I completely understand how a smaller frame gun can feel "Right". A Glock 26 with a +2 base plate is still one of my favorite and best fitting pistols for me even though the 34 should be the "Best" ;).

thopkins22
02-23-12, 20:12
Four, the pinky is a stabilizer, not a "power" finger.

Your index and pinky are stabilizers and your ring and middle are where the power comes from or so ive been told by a friend of mine that does alot of mountain climbing and can crush rocks with his bare hands. :p

It depends on what action you're asking the finger to do. The pinky isn't the strongest finger for gripping...but it's connected to the largest flexor muscle in your forearm. It is by no means weak. The middle two fingers are "strongest" because they have the most mechanical advantage.

Gray's Anatomy will help you see better than I have the ability to. Where's our resident Dr. when you need him? :)
http://www.bartleby.com/107/126.html
http://www.bartleby.com/107/125.html

ETA: The improved accuracy could be because of some factor like a different angle, eyes better able to see the sights, or something like that. I however suspect it's because you've removed the finger that previously had(excluding the trigger finger) the greatest ability to throw the shot due to sympathetic movement. As Gray's shows us, the pinky is connected to the same muscle that moves the trigger finger, it also is in a position to have the greatest leverage to act on the bore.

frozentundra
02-23-12, 21:42
The compact does not have the same tail on the frame. This could also produce a subtle change in your grip/trigger pull?

ra2bach
02-24-12, 13:34
It depends on what action you're asking the finger to do. The pinky isn't the strongest finger for gripping...but it's connected to the largest flexor muscle in your forearm. It is by no means weak. The middle two fingers are "strongest" because they have the most mechanical advantage.

Gray's Anatomy will help you see better than I have the ability to. Where's our resident Dr. when you need him? :)
http://www.bartleby.com/107/126.html
http://www.bartleby.com/107/125.html

ETA: The improved accuracy could be because of some factor like a different angle, eyes better able to see the sights, or something like that. I however suspect it's because you've removed the finger that previously had(excluding the trigger finger) the greatest ability to throw the shot due to sympathetic movement. As Gray's shows us, the pinky is connected to the same muscle that moves the trigger finger, it also is in a position to have the greatest leverage to act on the bore.

interesting...

not to get silly, but golfers also recognize this and want to minimize the effect of the pinky in the primary hand. this is the reason for the interlocking grip. it removes contact from the grip and places it outside the support hand, giving more "activity" to the thumb and first two fingers...

ra2bach
02-24-12, 13:40
The compact does not have the same tail on the frame. This could also produce a subtle change in your grip/trigger pull?

no, not an issue in my case. as near as I can tell my grip is identical at the top on both the Compact and FS. I'm talking about single shots as accurately as I can place them not rapid fire.

even so, I never felt the need for the extended beavertail on the FS and considered removing it but some folks may find it necessary...

M4Fundi
02-24-12, 13:59
I shoot compact (sub 4") 1911s better than Full size. Same thing went thru my head, WTF? When I started shooting them.

I realized "for me" it was that the higher slide speed and lighter shorter slide would allow my sights to track perfectly and faster between shots. So, I'd see front sight, press, bang and see front sight back in notch. With a Full Size 1911 it was see front sight, press, bang, see front sight high and try and control it back down into notch. I guess I'm a wuss:eek:

bdcheung
02-24-12, 14:22
I swear the grip on my 9c is wider than my 9fs. The 9c feels better in my hand, and I also shoot it better.