PDA

View Full Version : Suppressor in SC??

mplecha
02-22-12, 20:24
Hi, all. I have an aching desire for a suppressor to hang off my BCM midlength. I’ve seen the outline of what steps have to be taken to get one, but I’m curious of a few things. I’m not legal jargon savvy at all. I’ve read that either the local Sheriff or police chief has to sign off for it or I’d have to get a trust. Is there anybody here who’s gone through this process in Columbia, SC? I’m curious as to whether or not the signature is usually given or not. The CWPs here are must issue, but I'm assuming NFA stuff is not. Also, what exactly is a trust? How does setting one up change the process and what does it mean? If I go that route, who owns the stamp and can? Thanks!

baffle Stack
02-22-12, 20:46
Not in SC but I've went through the process. It's easier than I thought It would be. This link helped:

http://www.silencerresearch.com/Silencerguide.pdf

So did searching this site:

http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/index.php

What suppressor are you thinking about getting?

mplecha
02-22-12, 20:52
I'm not completely sure about which one. I'll probably drive by Palmetto State Armory this weekend and see what they have. I seem to remember seeing a couple in their display case when I went with my wife a few weeks ago. At the time, I had to hide my interest to keep from upsetting my ride home. I assume like anything else, some are better than others, but I'm still at the researching stage.

brantley65
02-22-12, 21:18
James Anderson out of Greenville, SC did my trust for me. Innovative Arms from Elgin has gotten all my NFA money-3 cans and 1 sbr

Iraqgunz
02-23-12, 02:05
OP,

I suggest that you spend some time reading in the NFA area. There is plenty of info about trusts. Additionally if you do a simple Google search you will find that there is no requirement for the CLEO to sign off your paperwork.

Watrdawg
02-24-12, 13:04
IG is right. There is a ton of stuff in the NFA stickies section. Some of it is kind of confusing at first. When you get into it, overall it is fairly simple.

mplecha
02-24-12, 13:17
I've been reading the stickies. There is a LOT of info here!

Watrdawg
02-24-12, 13:46
Definitely a LOT of info. Actually filling out the forms and stuff is pretty easy. I did mine for my suppressor and SBR in a couple of hours. Although I know our local COP and he signed my form 4's for me quickly. Even doing a Trust isn't difficult just takes a bit of time to get the forms drawn up. Don't let it get intimidating.

RD62
02-24-12, 17:10
Sheriff Metts will sign, I believe Lott will too.

That said I went the trust route and didn't have to worry about it.

PSA has inventory in stock (most or a lot of it from Innovative Arms).