PDA

View Full Version : Disqualified person?

Chase45
02-22-12, 21:02
I cannot seem to find anything that explains what a disqualified person is in regard to nfa.

Anyone have the hard facts on what actually disqualifies you from purchasing nfa?

Ghost__1
02-22-12, 21:28
Its usually just as simple as what disqualifies you from owning firearms in general. IE felonies Domestic violence charge Mentally unfit, Then add in your state laws pertaining to NFA and your Sheriffs views or willingness to sign your form. That can be mitigated by having a trust however. If that doesnt answer your question or as to why you would need to know what disqualifies you this convo never happened...... :secret:

DaveC
02-22-12, 23:33
Generally speaking, if you can pass the NICS background check to purchase a firearm, you will be approved for the NFA item as well.

tfltackdriver
02-24-12, 13:59
I cannot seem to find anything that explains what a disqualified person is in regard to nfa.
http://m4carbine.net/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=1238360
Anyone have the hard facts on what actually disqualifies you from purchasing nfa?

If you look at page 2 of the ATF's Form 1, there's a checklist on page 2

http://www.atf.gov/forms/download/atf-f-5320-1.pdf

If you answer "yes" to any of those questions, you can't have any kind of gun.

I think what Ghost meant to say is that your local chief law enforcement officer's unwillingness to sign can be mitigated by a trust, but that's it. You can't be a felon or a drug addict or a wife beater and get around it by going through a trust.

Chase45
02-24-12, 15:28
Yea Im good to go then

Skinny of it is I was arrested last year for two misdemeanors. They were dropped to disorderly conduct and I plead guilty. I was origionally charged with dui and drug paraphernalia(rolling papers). My friend that was with me told them it was his and that's why it was later dropped. Nothing I'm proud of but it is what it is.

I've had a sbr for 3 years and they haven't came for that. I've bought handguns and got my carry permit after everything got settled with my charges

Only reason I was asking was because they are requesting the records from the arrest which kind of shocked me for the current form 4 I have pending

Ghost__1
02-24-12, 17:28
If you look at page 2 of the ATF's Form 1, there's a checklist on page 2

http://www.atf.gov/forms/download/atf-f-5320-1.pdf

If you answer "yes" to any of those questions, you can't have any kind of gun.

I think what Ghost meant to say is that your local chief law enforcement officer's unwillingness to sign can be mitigated by a trust, but that's it. You can't be a felon or a drug addict or a wife beater and get around it by going through a trust.
Yes sorry that is exactly what i was intending to say. The trust only mitigates the sign requirement. Nothing else. You still have to be a mentally fit law abiding member of society. Thanks for the assist.

Chase45
02-24-12, 17:40
Just got the form in the mail to fill out. Sounds like it wont be a big deal. They are mainly just asking for the disposition of the charges and wether or not they were misdemeanor or felony

I believe Ill be alright

Chase45
02-28-12, 11:41
Approved today