02-22-12, 21:13
So here's the list:

Spikes FN 16" Middy 1/7 barrel
BattleComp 1.5
Troy Alpha 15" FDE rail
BCM BCG
ACE Skeleton A1 fixed stock
RRA upper/lower
RRA 2-stage match trigger (I actually like it. We'll see)

Thoughts, comments, gripes and bitches are welcome :-D

Nytcrawler93
02-22-12, 21:24
I prefer a lighter setup but there is nothing wrong with what you listed. Shoot the hell out of it and make sure it works with your chosen ammo and rock on. That barrel is as good as any.:cool:

J_Dub_503
02-22-12, 21:25
What do you want from this post. You haven't asked any questions, posted any pictures, or gave your opinion on what you do or do not like about your build.

Read the stickies and use the search button!

CoryCop25
02-22-12, 21:30

Give that trigger about 1000 rounds and you will definitely see! I have one that is a real crisp single stage trigger now. I have no idea what happened to the first stage. I replaced it with a Giessele and never looked back. I keep the RRA trigger on one of my low use rifles just to show people what happens to them after a few rounds.

SMETNA
02-22-12, 21:34
What do you want from this post. You haven't asked any questions, posted any pictures, or gave your opinion on what you do or do not like about your build.

Read the stickies and use the search button!

Pics are forthcoming. I was looking for opinions and discussion. If you would rather pass, be my guest.

As far as the FCG goes, I know. I've heard a ton of horror stories about it. At some point, I'll swap it out of both my rifles. But with roughly 1600 rounds through my Elite Comp and about 500ish through the RRA that is about to be unsuckified, I still like them. Shoot it till it breaks, then upgrade.

P.S. I have an entirely new 2-stage group in my spare parts kit, just in case

DeltaSierra
02-22-12, 21:37
Get rid of the RRA trigger.

They are every bit as bad as you are told. If you really don't believe me....

SMETNA
02-22-12, 21:48
Speaking of Geiselle, anyone know the name of that company that sells Usgi Triggers finished by Geiselle but they're pretty cheap? It's on the tip of my tongue

IIRC they were like $45

J_Dub_503
02-22-12, 22:04
Speaking of Geiselle, anyone know the name of that company that sells Usgi Triggers finished by Geiselle but they're pretty cheap? It's on the tip of my tongue

IIRC they were like $45

http://www.algdefense.com/
The company was founded by Bill Geiselle's wife.

SMETNA
02-22-12, 22:58
Awesome. Much appreciated. Yeah, I might as well go with a few of these.

I better get busy trying to sell 3 RRA 2-stage trigger groups over on TOS :thank_you2:

J_Dub_503
02-22-12, 23:01
Good luck with that, tell them RRA stands for "really, really awesome."

devinsdad
02-22-12, 23:19
What is it about the RRA that needs to be "unsucked"? Your posts suggest that everything is functioning correctly. Other than the "horror stories" that you heard and that have been posted about ad nausium, you don't mention that yours is bad or even going bad. Just curious what the issue is?

SMETNA
02-23-12, 00:32
Good luck with that, tell them RRA stands for "really, really awesome."

Dude. That's great!

SMETNA
02-23-12, 00:43
What is it about the RRA that needs to be "unsucked"? Your posts suggest that everything is functioning correctly. Other than the "horror stories" that you heard and that have been posted about ad nausium, you don't mention that yours is bad or even going bad. Just curious what the issue is?

Good point. No issues really, I just want to build a top tier gun and why not cannibalize my shitty RRA to do it. Upper and Lower will be the only RRA parts when it's assembled.

Here's how it sits now:

RRA 16" middy non CL barrel 1/9
RRA flip up front sight gas block
RRA shitty muzzle break (pinned)
Middy plastic forend handguards
RRA poorly staked carrier key

So better barrel, rail, break, low pro gas block, BCG, and trigger and I think it'll be decent. Up until now this has been my "here, you can shoot this one" gun for my girlfriend/cousins. I have some Tax return money burning a hole in my pocket, what can I say?

Edited to add: New barrel and gas block in the mail. Going to order rail, break, BCG, ect. shortly. I will post pics once assembled

cjscore
02-23-12, 21:42
Can you post pictures of the rifle? Especially the BCG.

SMETNA
02-23-12, 22:55
As it is now? Or once the new parts get here and it's assembled?

Edited to add: I'll post the before AND after pics. Might be fun. Stay tuned.

Bolt_Overide
02-24-12, 05:33
Best way to unsuck that rifle is to sell it and get a colt, bcm, etc.

the_accuser
02-24-12, 05:45
Best way to unsuck that rifle is to sell it and get a colt, bcm, etc.

This is the best suggestion so far IMO otherwise since the rifle seems to be functional, I would shoot the hell out of it and train with it.

cjscore
02-24-12, 06:11
As it is now? Or once the new parts get here and it's assembled?

Edited to add: I'll post the before AND after pics. Might be fun. Stay tuned.

Great, I want to see both.

bullittmcqueen
02-24-12, 07:00
Good point. No issues really, I just want to build a top tier gun and why not cannibalize my shitty RRA to do it. Upper and Lower will be the only RRA parts when it's assembled.

I don't know how adamant you are about rebuilding your upper, but here's some personal experience on my part.

My first AR was a RRA. I sold the complete upper on TOS for $450 and bought a 16" BCM complete upper (already had a BCM BCG and gunfighter CH waiting) for $399.

You do the math.

FTR, I replaced the RRA because it was terribly prone to misfeeds. i eliminated mags as the cause. The same PMAGS have never malfunctioned once in my BCM.

Positive Displacement
02-24-12, 07:06
This was good for my very first, then I saw the light (BCM)!

Butler Creek scope covers on the unsuckified painted Nikon scope, unsuckified UTG (made in Amreica) quad rail for 56.00, CAA forward grip (unsuckified). National match 2-stage shitty ass trigger (couldn't unsuckify this, gravel pit comes to mind), and an unsuckified shitty bi-pod! Somehow I manage to make prarie dogs explode.

http://i761.photobucket.com/albums/xx254/CRF450XNUT/ace3717b.jpg

http://i761.photobucket.com/albums/xx254/CRF450XNUT/1d9ccb64.jpg

Hitech50
02-24-12, 07:16
Sorry but I don't get it. You've already said that the RRA isn't giving you any issues but in the same sentence you call it shitty. At one point you say "shoot it till it breaks" (talking about the trigger that you said you liked) but nothing is broken and you still want to change out parts. Is this some desperate need from your inner child to fit in with the "cool kids" or something? Honestly if you need a sense of approval from a bunch of strangers on a website no amount of "modifications" will change the fact that, especially in your eyes, it's still a RRA. If your not happy with the gun sell it and get whatever you want. If you are happy with it take your own advice and shoot it till it breaks...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

justin_247
02-24-12, 07:59
You can do two things:

(a) Do some basic preventative maintenance steps (stake the carrier key and castle nut, install an H-buffer, get the chamber reamed to 5.56 mm, get an HP/MP mil-spec bolt, and swap out the FCG with a mil-spec FCG) and then buy tons of ammo, a sling, light, and shoot the crap out of it.

(b) Completely overhaul the rifle - replace the upper receiver group, charging handle, and BCG with one from Colt, BCM, DD, LMT, or Noveske, swap out the FCG with a mil-spec FCG, install an H-buffer and mil-spec buffer spring, and swap out the commercial receiver extension with a mil-spec receiver extension. Then buy tons of ammo, a sling, light, and shoot the crap out of it.

If you can afford it, Option B is definitely the way to go and only costs a few hundred dollars more. If not, I would go with option A.

Iraqgunz
02-24-12, 08:43
If it were me, I would either sell the complete rifle and start over or I would keep the lower and then get a better complete upper (that is also NY compliant if necessary).

Anything else and you will end up spending more money and wasting time. I would also dump that RRA trigger sooner than later.

Norman
02-24-12, 08:44
Sorry but I don't get it. You've already said that the RRA isn't giving you any issues but in the same sentence you call it shitty. At one point you say "shoot it till it breaks" (talking about the trigger that you said you liked) but nothing is broken and you still want to change out parts. Is this some desperate need from your inner child to fit in with the "cool kids" or something? Honestly if you need a sense of approval from a bunch of strangers on a website no amount of "modifications" will change the fact that, especially in your eyes, it's still a RRA. If your not happy with the gun sell it and get whatever you want. If you are happy with it take your own advice and shoot it till it breaks...

I have to agree with this.^^
I say stake the gas key and castle nut, then shoot the crap out of it. Or, just buy another gun.

Sixgun_Symphony
02-24-12, 12:01
So here's the list:

Spikes FN 16" Middy 1/7 barrel
Troy TRX 15" free float rail
BCM BCG
ACE Skeleton A1 fixed stock
RRA upper (feed ramps look/function ok
RRA lower

Thoughts, comments, gripes and bitches are welcome :-D

Sure sell all that BS and buy something worthwhile (except the troy)

SMETNA
02-24-12, 14:24

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is about bringing a totally inferior rifle up to a proven dependable state, so that when I take a class this summer (haven't decided with who yet) it runs well. This RRA in question has been okay so far with very few rounds through it. But it's a malfunction waiting to happen. That's what I mean when I say "no issues, but shitty"

Now, **** off and stop trolling.

SMETNA
02-24-12, 14:32
If it were me, I would either sell the complete rifle and start over or I would keep the lower and then get a better complete upper (that is also NY compliant if necessary).

Anything else and you will end up spending more money and wasting time. I would also dump that RRA trigger sooner than later.

Well, I may have rattle canned it. And that definitely weighs on its chance of selling. It's like a used car that reeks of smoke. Some may still buy it, many won't even consider it.

Plus, I like the stock, the lower is fine, the upper has good feed ramps (if they were dremeled, they were done with pride). So it's just the decision I made; personal preference.

Here's a before mod pic:
http://img854.imageshack.us/img854/448/img6209x.jpg

JIC there's a local LEO that saw the 30rnd Mag:
http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/7636/img6210k.jpg

And here's the "barely even tried" key staking:
http://img39.imageshack.us/img39/2072/img6212r.jpg

As I said, upgrades are in the mail.

Todd00000
02-24-12, 14:59
Not sure is this has been mentioned but in the first post you say the feed ramps are good but then you want to change the barrel...if you did change it will the ramps match up proper?

B Cart
02-24-12, 15:03
Good point. No issues really, I just want to build a top tier gun and why not cannibalize my shitty RRA to do it.

I bought a RRA for my first carbine before I found this site. Once I read a little more I bought a BCM BCG, had the castle nut staked, bought some ammo and a bunch of training classes and then shot the crap out of it. It's been through a bunch of classes and now over 6,000 rounds without a single malfunction.

Tier 1? No. Reliable so far? Sure.

If you really want to get close to a teir 1 gun, I'd say either sell it all together or get a complete BCM upper from Grant, stake the castle nut, and get a better trigger.

Hitech50
02-24-12, 15:04
This is about bringing a totally inferior rifle up to a proven dependable state, so that when I take a class this summer (haven't decided with who yet) it runs well. This RRA in question has been okay so far with very few rounds through it. But it's a malfunction waiting to happen. That's what I mean when I say "no issues, but shitty"

Now, **** off and stop trolling.

Not trolling, but I see by your response there isn't much use going any further with this. Good luck with your build.

SMETNA
02-24-12, 15:10
Not sure is this has been mentioned but in the first post you say the feed ramps are good but then you want to change the barrel...if you did change it will the ramps match up proper?

*Feed ramps in the upper. A common complaint of RRA is that their upper receiver feed ramps can be very rough, as though they were dremeled, by a gorilla

SMETNA
02-24-12, 15:21
Not trolling, but I see by your response there isn't much use going any further with this. Good luck with your build.

Dude sorry for swearing at you. But, when you spout off all kinds of condescending shit at someone you dont know for no reason, kind of makes you seem like a douche.

" Is this some desperate need from your inner child to fit in with the "cool kids" or something? Honestly if you need a sense of approval from a bunch of strangers on a website no amount of "modifications" will change the fact that"

You made the incorrect assumption that I need approval from anyone other than myself. This was simply a documentary/discussion thread about what I decided to do with my lesser quality rifle.

Hitech50
02-24-12, 15:40
Dude sorry for swearing at you. But, when you spout off all kinds of condescending shit at someone you dont know for no reason, kind of makes you seem like a douche.

" Is this some desperate need from your inner child to fit in with the "cool kids" or something? Honestly if you need a sense of approval from a bunch of strangers on a website no amount of "modifications" will change the fact that"

You made the incorrect assumption that I need approval from anyone other than myself. This was simply a documentary/discussion thread about what I decided to do with my lesser quality rifle.

Fair enough, I could have made my point with out adding all of that, my apologies.

cjscore
02-24-12, 20:51
I do not know if you own any other AR's so I will consider the RRA as your first purchase. If I were in that position I would keep the RRA and blow rounds through it until the barrel quits. I would also buy another AR in the BCM, DD, Colt, etc range as a go to rifle. That would give more than one rifle to pick from at any given time. I do not see the appeal of adding to a rifle that you feel is inferior. You could still put at least 6000 rounds through the rifle. That is alot of shooting/practice :p.

agr1279
02-25-12, 10:21
Shoot the heck out of it till something break or sell it and get something you know is better. Don't spend money on it. Stake the gas keys yourself. Don't spend your hard earned money on something you will never be happy with.

Right now I've got two RRA's that are being used as a duty weapons for me and my bride. I've spent a shit load on mine and nothing on hers. I can never get what I've spent on mine back but her's has had no updates. If it gets replaced it will be by a DD unless something better comes along.

Dan

SMETNA
03-01-12, 16:30
All parts have arrived. Will install soon and post pics.

The Troy Alpha rail is stupid light weight. I can't believe it

J_Dub_503
03-01-12, 16:37
All parts have arrived. Will install soon and post pics.

The Troy Alpha rail is stupid light weight. I can't believe it

:stop: Does this include The ALG Defense trigger, if so please give a review of it compared to that RRA. Also, I'm happy to see that you got the Troy rail...I love them.

SMETNA
03-01-12, 16:54
:stop: Does this include The ALG Defense trigger, if so please give a review of it compared to that RRA. Also, I'm happy to see that you got the Troy rail...I love them.

Negative at this time. Im taking a mini vacation at the end of this month, which has tied up a few hundred bucks. Once i bounce back from that, two ACT triggers are on my list.

Also, I need to sell my Really Really Awesome 2- stage triggers on TOS.

J_Dub_503
03-01-12, 17:09
Copy that, keep us updated.

Positive Displacement
03-02-12, 06:37
Smetna:

I sold my RR midlength today for 350.00, BCG and charging handle. I AM NOT sorry to see it go in the least! I'm keeping the lower, I think it's set up and right now Giselle is a bit out of the picture. The 2-stage NM trigger that came with it feels relatively good and smooth. I'm going to do the same set up I just did on my other rifle to include a 16" Mid-length, Spikes Tactical BCG and BCM charging handle. I really like this set-up and depending on the upper from BCM you can get that 16" for 399.00 or 489.00 which, for me, is very economical but still getting quality components.

Good luck, waiting for pics.:dirol:

rob_s
03-02-12, 06:54
There are two schools of thought on these. The first is that you should "shoot it until it breaks" and then fix what does. not bad advice, if you have a second gun, because if it chooses to break when you're at sleepaway class, you may well be screwed.

The other school of thought is that once you know better you can't un-ring the bell. Since owning these rifles, and frankly firearms in general, for most is more about peace of mind than actual direct and immediate need, the nagging feeling that your tool may not be up to par is often insatiable.

That said, things like handguards, stocks, muzzle devices, (fancy) triggers, etc. aren't really accomplishing anything in terms of boosting (perceived?) reliability and longevity. The parts that contribute to reliability and longevity are the true heart of the rifle, and typically not worth the hassle and cost of changing. however, people will put well over half the cost of a new gun, with a strong heart, into "un-sucking" their "as good as", which strikes me as good money after bad.

I will repeat my mantra....
If you are serious about learning to shoot/fight-with/run the AR-pattern carbine buy a Colt 6920 or 6720, eleven magazines, 2k rounds of mid-grade brass-cased ammo, and sign up for a fundamentals class like Randy Cain's carbine course.* Modify the gun and make changes as you encounter shortcomings based on your actual use.

*caveat: if you haven't already done all of this with your carry handgun of choice, you've gotten out of sequence. Drop back and learn to run the gun you (will) have (with you) instead of chasing the gun you want (to have with you).

Funkenstein
03-02-12, 09:31
Amazing advice. This thread should stop here...

There are two schools of thought on these. The first is that you should "shoot it until it breaks" and then fix what does. not bad advice, if you have a second gun, because if it chooses to break when you're at sleepaway class, you may well be screwed.

The other school of thought is that once you know better you can't un-ring the bell. Since owning these rifles, and frankly firearms in general, for most is more about peace of mind than actual direct and immediate need, the nagging feeling that your tool may not be up to par is often insatiable.

That said, things like handguards, stocks, muzzle devices, (fancy) triggers, etc. aren't really accomplishing anything in terms of boosting (perceived?) reliability and longevity. The parts that contribute to reliability and longevity are the true heart of the rifle, and typically not worth the hassle and cost of changing. however, people will put well over half the cost of a new gun, with a strong heart, into "un-sucking" their "as good as", which strikes me as good money after bad.

I will repeat my mantra....
If you are serious about learning to shoot/fight-with/run the AR-pattern carbine buy a Colt 6920 or 6720, eleven magazines, 2k rounds of mid-grade brass-cased ammo, and sign up for a fundamentals class like Randy Cain's carbine course.* Modify the gun and make changes as you encounter shortcomings based on your actual use.

*caveat: if you haven't already done all of this with your carry handgun of choice, you've gotten out of sequence. Drop back and learn to run the gun you (will) have (with you) instead of chasing the gun you want (to have with you).

SMETNA
03-02-12, 18:21
Understood. I could have sold the complete upper, and picked up a BCM upper for a nominal amount of money. The problem with that is they don't sell a pre assembled upper package that has exactly what I wanted. Plus, I'd still have to take it to a smith to get the comp pinned.

I'm happy with cherry picking each part and building a frankengun. YMMV

SteveS
03-09-12, 22:59
the list looks like it should work out well!!!

duece71
03-10-12, 22:20
OP, my RRA started out as an "Entry Tactical". I sold the upper for $350 at a gun show and bought a BCM LW Midlength 16 with BCM BCG. I have never looked back. Good luck with your build and follow the advise of Rob_S. Head over to his website as well while you are at it. Lots of good info over there.

curt33
03-10-12, 22:26
i have one. a elite operator II. its not a bad gun. id bet my life on it. its seen some hell. i just picked up a dd so its just a back up now. but id buy another if i got a good deal on it. listen to all the guys above. shoot it tell it breaks the replace the parts with stuff from bravo company :D

SMETNA
03-11-12, 01:33
Update 3-10-2012:

Upper is being assembled at the smiths now. Should have it back by mid week.

My RRA Elite Comp will continue to serve well as a back up/beater weapon. I plan on installing an ALG trigger on both. (with the new trigger, I'd bet my life on the RRA as well)

Once I move out of the empire state I plan to build a 14.5 middy with a permd muzzle device, and (finally) a good collapsable carbine stock. In all likelihood a BCM. Hell I might even spring for a suppressor if they're still legal in a few years.

For now, this build will satisfy my requirement for a proper mil spec weapon that can handle a 1500 round class without taking a shit multiple times.

Note* I'm about to throw 500+ rounds of wolf through the elite comp during "the weekend of man" with my cousins in a couple of weeks. Hopefully it'll chew it all up; I've never shot that much in one session with brass, let alone steel cased.

The "weekend of man" is an off road jeep excursion through trails into the blue ridge mountains for an overnight of camping, and run and gunning. Should be fun as hell. My cousins are straight up country. I love it

duece71
03-11-12, 10:29
I would double the round count and see what you come up with. Not cleaning it at all during the session would be even better.

SMETNA
03-15-12, 17:41
http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/3125/img6214t.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/29/img6214t.jpg/)

90% done.

Has: Mil-spec Fighting rifle barrel, BCG, comp, rail.
Needs: BUIS, red dot, and an ALG QMS FCG.

I love it, it's way lighter than I would've ever thought. I can't wait to shoot it and see how that BC works. The local gun shop owner/LEO that did the work said he just put a BC on his SWAT gun and loves it.