PDA

View Full Version : Need to settle this once and for all, lens tint question

pbmaster2k89
02-23-12, 13:24
Ok so i have searched all over the web for which color shooting glasses were meant for what conditions when trap shooting. I keep finding mixed answers because some people are talking about snowboarding or water skiing and other outdoor sports. Some forums were dedicated to trap shooting but didnt give full details about proper lens color choice.

So which colored lens should i wear with what weather and background conditions?

pbmaster2k89
02-23-12, 13:38
Someone please just confirm this.

Yellow or clear lens...for cloudy low light days
Vermillion...for average days
Brown... For bright days

Ironman8
02-23-12, 13:51
IMO, I think that the advantage that you get with going from a lighter tint to a slightly darker one (ie. yellow to verillion) is small enough not to worry about. I personally just stick with the dark (smoke) tint for bright days (sunshine or not) and go to clear for really overcast/rainy days or when doing low-light/no light or indoor training. I think the biggest factor is optical clarity. Doesn't matter what the tint is if the lenses aren't clear...

I am referencing the tints that you would find with Oakley btw.

jjw
02-23-12, 16:01
try photo-gray lenses: not the color but the name

been using these for 20 or so years.
i catty 3 pr of prescription glasses. 2 more at home

these are the heat
self adjust to the brightness where u are a the time
good for gun site sun in may
nite classes we teach in Ohio in February.very fast adjustment when u go form brite sunlite to a shoot house. very happy with them.

u can pick the range of tit when u are fitted for the lenses. i just use what i have been ordering all these years.

dont know about Alaska type snow where snow blindness is an issue.
i use a really dark pr of goggles in my go bag if it is needed. never has been buuuut

about 50.00 a set added to Ur prescription cost. i have bifocals works fine
hope this helps

bulbvivid
02-23-12, 19:25
I'm not sure that trap shooting glasses fall under tactical gear, but these days, I guess you can tactically shoot trap.

From what I have gathered in researching tints for other reasons, you potentially need different tints for specific situations (open sky or woody background, for example) if you want to take it that far.

But these links I googled may be a little help:

Google Books (http://books.google.com/books?id=aY7FZ9qqClkC&pg=PA86&lpg=PA86&dq=lens+tint+for+trap+shooting&source=bl&ots=fHpNgZ9cbd&sig=mT_5KEuZFFRy9Ie8VUzS2KqJ1jI&hl=en&sa=X&ei=4OVGT8SQHYiEtgfew6yWDg&ved=0CDoQ6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=lens%20tint%20for%20trap%20shooting&f=false)

http://www.o-review.com/lensdetail.asp?ID=1103

Robb Jensen
02-23-12, 19:40
I like Oakley VR28 for shooting.

tb-av
02-23-12, 19:51
There was a comment or two in a recent sunglasses giveaway thread about Yellow vs ? but I can't recall where the thread is. The vendor giveaway that happens every so often. The most recent one.

M4Fundi
02-27-12, 03:02
The VR28 is the most versatile lens for me. I also have yellow I prefer to use when its dark/overcast, but the VR28 will work for almost any conditions except the brightest and the darkest.

I keep clear, yellow and VR28 for my Radars and would like to get a pair of Dark Grey for really bright desert conditions and maybe a pair of polarized for on the water.

JSantoro
02-27-12, 08:49
I think the biggest factor is optical clarity.

Boom....and as distortion-free as possible. There's enough variation in people's eyes for the "which tint?" discussions to be a petty afterthought, in comparison to clarity and lack of distortion. The smartest cats I know see to those, first, and then see what shades/tints are available.

Oh, and no-shit UV protection, A and B. The Wal-Mart brands may not have it (despite what the label says), and those POS cheap shades will open up your pupils and allow more UV in....bad juju, over time. Don't go cheap.

The yellowish/bronze/brown tints, to my eyes, enhance contrasts in a way I prefer, so that's what I prefer to use. But, I'll wear just about anything that doesn't warp light so badly that it blurs my view and gives me a headache after a few hours.

I've read the technical descriptions and understand the theory behind them, but I've seen no benefit to red or blue tints, so I unconsciously file them as being for the "wana look unique" crowd (who usually just end up looking like everybody else that wants to look unique...:rolleyes: ).

And polarized....nothing but that, ever. Glare comes from ALL angles, so unless you're more worried about being able to read computer or other screens all the time, it's very nearly a must-have, in my book. Polarized makes you choose between getting at just the right angle to do it or taking the things off, when looking at the electronic Pop-Tart that owns you (cell phone screen) or laptops.

Don't fall for the "polychromatic = good" line of BS. Yeah, these things change shading to match light conditions...but they're not smart enough to know the difference between most types of interior light and sunlight (so they often stay somewhat shaded, even idoors), and they're never as fast to change as the snakeoil folk'd have you believe. The times most'll quote are under lab conditions, only. One day, that technology will be worthwhile, but it's not there, yet, and not worth the expense until it actually does what the marketing types currently overstate.

M4Fundi
02-27-12, 12:44
Something else to think about when choosing lens tint is light transmission. I always choose the lens that allows the most light thru without fatiguing my eyes. This keeps my pupils smaller and gives me greater depth of field and sharper focus of vision.