PDA

View Full Version : Colt XSE Combat Commander

OscarT
12-24-07, 11:39
Hello gang,

I have recently acquired the above mentioned sidearm and would like to know what if any modifications I could/should make to it? I have fired 100 rounds through it without a hiccup. The reason I ask about which modifications to make is because I have read several threads about 1911's not being up to par straight out of the box. Anyway, I hope you all have a safe and happy holiday season.

Cheers,

Oscar :D

Federale
12-24-07, 11:55
If your pistol works, then you need not worry about making modifications to it. Personally, I like to get about a 1,000 rounds through my pistol before making a judgment on reliability, but you seem to be off to a good start. In my experience, if a 1911 isn't right, you'll get a clue early on.

Now, if your pistol is reliable and you want to make some modifications anyway, then there are lots of things that you can do.

I took a lightly used Colt LW Commander I found and sent it off to Novaks for some enhancement. I ran several hundred rounds through it and found that it was mechanically sound. But I like a checkered front strap and wanted night sights and the used pistol I picked up had neither. I also wanted a different grip safety. I had installed a new trigger and action in the pistol myself and they were completely reliable, but since the pistol was going to Novak anyway, I had them go over it. I'm very happy with the results.

This was before:
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c270/dspipes/1911s/c99094e0.jpg

And this was after:
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c270/dspipes/1911s/DSC00879.jpg

But it is by no means necessary to tinker with a 1911 to have it be reliable.

Hersh
12-24-07, 16:04
Oscar,

Congrats on the new XSE. All my Colts have been GTG out of the box and my advice would be to shoot the snot out of it for awhile and then decide which, if any, mods you might want

R Moran
12-24-07, 18:52
Shoot a case or 2 first.

Bob

condition 1
12-26-07, 11:35
The XSE Commander is nice gun, I have one in all stainless,it's a good shooter for the price, It is one of my carry 45's. the only thing I have done is change grip screws to the stainless slotted ones, and I use the Wilson 47 DC mags. Like Hersh said, shoot it first before you make changes. congrats....

John Fettes
12-27-07, 10:23
As others have said here, the best thing you can spend your money on now is practice ammunition, some spare magazines, and a safe holster for use on the range. I think that the XSE Colt's come out of the box with acceptable sights. As long as it functions as it should, you may be good to go for now. Reading the book that should have come with it is a good idea.

If you plan on using it as a defensive tool, ensure that it is reliable with the ammunition you plan on using in it.

Good luck with the new blaster!

John

RD62
12-27-07, 12:46
Oscar,

Congrats on the new XSE. All my Colts have been GTG out of the box and my advice would be to shoot the snot out of it for awhile and then decide which, if any, mods you might want

+1 on this whole thing, especially the shoot the snot out of it part. If it ain't broke don't go fixing it til it is.

-RD62

Joe Mamma
12-27-07, 14:50
Honestly, your gun is set up pretty good right out of the box. You made a good decision in getting that one.

If it's relaible, you should feel like you are ahead of the game. But, I'll echo what others have said and suggest the following areas:

1. Magazines - I would just try to test and identify magazines that work well in your gun (with the amo you like to shoot), and stock up on them. Personally, I like the Novak 8 rounders (nickel with plastic floorplate).

2. Grips, grip screws - You may want to try different grips and grip screws. I'd suggest having extra screws in case yours break or fall out. I like grips with a palm swell but, that's just me. I also like standard slotted grip screws.

3. Sights - This is a personal decision but, there are a lot of options.

Personally, I would just focus on magazines.

Joe Mamma

OscarT
12-27-07, 17:38
Thanks to all for the replies, they did not fall on deaf ears. I am looking for a set of night sights for the XSE. Does anyone have any suggestions? I sent K. Elmore from SAW an email a few weeks ago looking to replace the currents sights and he replied that the XSE sight cuts were not cut to any manufacturer specs and would have to be custom made. :(

John Fettes
12-27-07, 18:30
You might call Trijicon and ask them as they have a number of sights for Colt's:

http://www.trijicon.com/user/parts/parts_new.cfm?categoryID=7#3

24/7 has a number of Colt's applications too, if you like their style:

http://www.xssights.com/store/handgun.html

I "think" that Champion Gunsights is the outfit that makes the sights for Colt's:

http://www.championgunsights.com/

I would think that both Heinie's and Novak's Gun Shops could set you up too.

Absent any of these, Tool Tech may be able to drill out your existing sights and add Trijicon elements to them.

I had Evolution Gun Works make me a custom FS for a Colt's XS Model CCO because of the non-standard dovetail used by Colt's.

Good shopping!

John