PDA

View Full Version : Lightest Lower Receiver?

CogitoErgoArmatumSum
02-23-12, 19:54
Just got done with my first build...

Spikes Tactical Complete Upper
Spikes Tactical Complete Lower
Magpul Mil-Spec CTR
Magpul ASAP Sling Attachment
BCM Gunfighter Charging Handle
CAA Modular Pistol Grip
Magpul Modified Trigger Guard
Magpul BAD Lever
Stag Arms Ambi Saftey Selector
Geiselle SSA
EOTech XPS-2 Holographic Sight
BlueForce Redi-Mod
Magpul PMAGs
Magpul Ranger Plates
Daniel Defense M4 9.5" FSP Rail
Knights Armament Handrail Covers
Magpul AFG2
Gear Sector Tactical Light Mount
Gear Sector QD mount
Surefire X300
Surefire XT07

Whew! Talk about death by a thousand bites! I love the gun and have no complaints, it's got all the bells and whistles I want, but for my next build I'd like to minimize weight (without significantly compromising accuracy).

I went ahead and bought a discounted BCM stripped upper with "slight cosmetic blemishes," as I plan to add a paint job and it was a stellar deal. Anyone have any suggestions on a aluminum lower? Any help would be greatly appreciated; thx!

ICANHITHIMMAN
02-23-12, 20:27
Not realy any benifit to trying to save weight on your lower. You need to look at a diffrent barrel profile.

VIP3R 237
02-23-12, 20:36
Not realy any benifit to trying to save weight on your lower. You need to look at a diffrent barrel profile.

This exactly. The only way to go lighter on the lower is to compromise quality by going with a composite lower, but as many here would agree its not worth sacrificing for a couple ounces shaved. The other option is maybe get rid of your redi-mod.

CogitoErgoArmatumSum
02-23-12, 20:39
Thanks fellas. I figured as much, but I wanted to be sure before plunking down on a lower. Which barrels would you suggest. Currently looking at BCM, Daniel Defense, and Noveske...the latter seems a little pricey

Punisher1336
02-23-12, 22:29
I went with the Noveske.

Iraqgunz
02-24-12, 01:45
Since this post has no pictures or other substantive value, would you at least elaborate as to how you made your decision about selections?

Maybe let us know what your experience level is.

BUCKrub91
02-24-12, 11:16
Started with a PSA stripped lower on the build im doing and it is pretty dang light.. doubt you would notice a difference tho once the build is complete

deadlyfire
02-24-12, 12:40
Doesn't the redi-mod add a substantial amount of weight?

CogitoErgoArmatumSum
02-24-12, 13:31
6.8oz unloaded. Adds a good bit when loaded with an extra mag. Like I said though, I'm more than happy with my current build and it's weight. I'm not looking to change my current build, I'm starting a new build with a different goal in mind--light weight.

deadlyfire
02-24-12, 13:33
6.8oz unloaded. Adds a good bit when loaded with an extra mag. Like I said though, I'm more than happy with my current build and it's weight. I'm not looking to change my current build, I'm starting a new build with a different goal in mind--light weight.

I misunderstood, my bad.

I'd have to agree on the barrel profile

CogitoErgoArmatumSum
02-24-12, 16:26
@deadlyfire:

No worries and no need for apologies; I just thought I'd clarify. I appreciate everyone's help.

At the risk of posting a novel, I thought I'd weigh in on the topics/questions that iraqgunz raised.

@iraqgunz

I'd be happy to share. Sorry for the absence of pics. I'm currently out of town for work and won't have access to my AR for a few weeks. As soon as I'm home I'll snap some pictures.

My background/experience with ARs/carbines/tactical rifles, is relatively limited at the moment. I grew up around just about every other type of firearm, practiced marksmanship often, and still do. While I always had an interest in ARs, I never really experienced any significant impetus for starting a "deep dive" and beginning a build. I guess in light of the current political/economic climate, I figured that I should go ahead and plunk down on some tactical weapons, before the ultra-liberal, ideologues out there initiate a political blitzkrieg on the 2nd Amendment, like they did on the health care system two years ago. We have to pass a bill to figure out what's in it? Really?
Thus, my experience with tactical rifles/carbines is limited to range
time at the moment. However, I fully intend to avail myself of the
same types of courses and education I took advantage of to get proficient with pistols.

As for my selection of components...

Spikes Tactical Complete Upper & Spikes Tactical Complete Lower:

•after countless hours of research and going back and forth on
equipment, I reached a stage of paralysis by analysis--didn't know
which way was up or down. I discovered a pretty good deal at a local
shop in GA, did some homework, looked at reviews, and decided to make
the purchases.

Magpul Mil-Spec CTR:
•liked the abundance of negative space, as it reduces weight.
•liked that it was adjustable
•liked that they improved the locking mechanism and reduced micro movments
•liked the integrated QD attachment points

Magpul ASAP Sling Attachment
•Still not sold on this or any other point of attachment at the
base of the buffer tube...
•I originally purchased this item because I wanted to be able
to practice switching to my non-dominant side and working on
ambidexterity in my shooting. However, after watching others and
experimenting on the range, I believe I am going to remove the ASAP.
--I've found that attempting to switch to my non-dominant side
leads to a couple problems. I have found that such an attachment
point requires me to manipulate the proximal end (buttstock) of the
rifle in an upward arching movement from one shoulder to the other,
during a transition, in order to avoid entanglement between the
buttstock and the length of sling spanning between my chest and the
sling attachment. First problem I see, this compromises muzzle
control of the firearm, potentially causing the operator to violate
one of the fundamental tenants of firearm safety--"never point a
barrel at anything you are not fully willing and intend to destroy."
Furthermore, such an arching movement requires me to re-establish
sight alignment along two axis, instead of simply translating along
the horizontal axis, in order to reacquire my target. I've also found
that even with the buttstock on it's shortest setting and considerable
slack in the single-point sling and even when executed perfectly, I'm
inclined to move my head around the weapon, when it's widely accepted
that the proper technique is to move the weapon or any other equipment
around the head.

BCM Gunfighter Charging Handle (M3)
•liked the larger latch for charging the bolt with the side of my
support hand palm.
•juxtaposed the BCM Gunfighter and the Badger Tactical Modified
Latch. Liked the badger, but was concerned with strength of standard
charging handle vs. the increased leverage created by the badger,
without accounting for increased adjacent forces on the shaft of the
handle.

CAA Modular Pistol Grip
•moves my grip back slightly so that the distal pad of my index
finger is on the trigger, making trigger pull smother and more
controlled.
•Finger grooves are similar to my H&K P30 .40S&W which I love
•can customize the grip to better fit my hand
•has a compartment for misc items

Troy Industries Tritium Flip-up BUIS
•originally had Magpul BUIS, but switching from large to small
apertures was tedious and requires a level of dexterity not available
to an operator wearing gloves of any kind--ballistic or otherwise.
•Tritium markings help maintain proper alignment with front sight post.
•Tritium markers facilitate shooting in low light

Magpul BAD Lever
•We've probably all read the Magpul propaganda on this little item..."reduces manual of arms" by eliminating the need to use your support hand, in order to release the bolt. I am sure we've all heard mixed reviews, some saying that the BAD lever's proximity to the trigger and the space it occupies can lead to problems, especially when wearing gloves. I have never experienced this problem, and I went ahead and installed the enhanced trigger guard to give myself some more room.
•I REALLY like the BAD lever for another reason. One great thing about my H&K P30 is the extended slide catch/release. I can pretty effortlessly lock the slide back and expose the chamber. Before I installed the BAD Lever on my AR, in order to lock the bolt carrier group back and expose the chamber, I'd have to take my support hand and thumb the bolt catch outward/downward, while simultaneously removing my shooting hand from the grip in order to pull back on the charging handle, right? Makes addressing a double-feed and some other malfunctions pretty cumbersome and time-consuming, right? With the BAD lever installed, I can simply use my trigger finger to push upward on the lever, then use my support hand to engage the charging handle and lock the bolt back. I find not having to take my shooting hand off the grip, unless absolutely necessary, a big plus

Magpul Modified Trigger Guard
•see above

Stag Arms Ambi Saftey Selector
•K.I.S.S.: I find that when it comes to employing muscle memory in order to achieve efficiency and effectiveness, uniformity is key--especially when ambidexterity is the goal.

Geiselle SSA
•Wanted a RELIABLE two stage trigger, with reduced trigger pull.
•Tried a friends SD-C trigger and came away afraid that it might discharge a round if I looked at it...don't need anything quite that serious at this point, but still intrigued for future builds
•Tried another friends Geiselle SSA and loved it.

EOTech XPS-2 Holographic Sight
•Liked EOTech's Parallax Free system
•really liked the concept of a 1MOA Dot at the center of the reticule for precision, but I also liked having the 65MOA circle for quick target acquisition up close.
•really liked the reduced run on the rail and weight of this model.
•while it would have been nice to have NVG compatability, I'm not Mil/LE, so unless I win the lottery NVGs are not in my future.

BlueForce Redi-Mod
•this was a gift and not in my original plans for my initial build, but again, reducing the manual of arms is nice. Not completely sold on this item yet.

Magpul PMAGs
•For the money I couldn't pass them up

Magpul Ranger Plates
•I liked the idea of a means to easily pull a magazine from an ammo pouch and I particularly liked the idea that it was integrated into the floor plate of the mag.

Daniel Defense M4 9.5" FSP Rail
•My AR is a carbine length weapon with an A-frame FSP on a 16" barrel. I found that the 7" rails didn't allow me to fully extend my support arm to utilize my AFG2 the way I wanted to. I flirted with the idea of a Troy Ind. TRX Extreme Battlerail. However, I wasn't wild about a 7" TRX Extreme and a FSP; nor was I thrilled about a longer Troy rail, removing the FSP, installing a gas block, and buying a flip up front sight.
•While pricey, I really liked the DD M4 9.5" FSP because it accommodated a carbine length gas system and FSP, yet gave me more real estate along three of the four rails...plenty of space for me to install my AFG2 and get good arm extension.
•Also, at the end of the DD rail is the perfect place to put a 1 o'clock mount for a light, so that it's out of the way of my support hand and the FSP/barrel won't interfere with the beam.
•In the end I think it would have cost me more to install a longer TRX Extreme!
•It is so light, when I pulled it from the box I thought that they had somehow accidentally sent me a two piece quad rail.

Knights Armament Handrail Covers
•I like the solid and continuous feel of these covers -- one issue I have with these though is that the larger rail covers (9 & 11 Ribs) translate back and forth on the rail ever so slightly...not really a functional issue, but a little annoying.

Magpul AFG2
•I find this grip gives me more lateral control of the barrel

Trijicon Tritium Post for FSB
•installed this item to enhance aiming in low light conditions

Gear Sector Light Mount for Surefire X-Series Weaponlights
•I have this installed to position my light at 1 o'clock on the rail
•I really like this mount because it serves as a mount and a rail cover. It hugs the rail keeping the light close, so as not to throw the weapon's balance off. It also covers the lateral openings cut into the rail that allow it to accommodate a FSP.

Gear Sector QD mount
•Liked that it served as a rail cover and a QD attachment point

Surefire X300
•Wanted a light that I could use on my long guns and my pistols
•Tried a friend's and really couldn't find a single thing to complain about
•This purchase was a bit of a splurge and I felt a little like a brand whore when I bought it -- Immediately after ordering this light, I had major buyers remorse... until I took it out of the box. This light is awesome.

Surefire XT07
•Wanted a reliable dual pressure switch that I could securely position along the top rail of the hand guard.
•I like that I can press a button and the beam will stay on, or simply press the pressure switch for momentary illumination
•I have the switch positioned on the top rail about a half inch from the FSP, so that I can lay my thumb across the top rail between them

TehLlama
02-24-12, 21:05
Lose the redi-mod, and the weight difference will be huge. If you need 60rds, maybe consider the SF, but I have two of those just sitting for that reason - the SF mags are cheaper than the redimod, and portable.

If pure light weight is the priority, stuff like different rail panels (LT ICs), smaller weaponlights, and no pressure switch can trim ounces, but in the grand scheme of things just losing that extra magazine of loaded weight will make it an insanely light and handy rifle.