PDA

View Full Version : First Build

Semper Paratus
02-23-12, 20:49
Well Sunday my Gun Club Marked AR Lower arrived and I set it aside till today to do the build, my first. After the dentist trip this AM and a little yard work I sat down to the build. The LPK was from Daniel Defense.

First thing I did was build a pivot pin detent installation tool out of a piece of 1/4" diameter aluminum. My comment on that was a piece of steel or brass would probably slid more smoothly thought the holes, but I had 1/4" aluminum. I used the plastic bag trick with the home made detent tool I launched the detent a couple of times before I got it together but thanks to the bag never lost the detent or spring.

Then the trigger guard...believe it or not this was the second hardest thing for me to get done... I struggled with being blind once you start the pin and finding the hole, eventually I finally held my mouth right got it all just so and it went together without bending the trigger guard ears.

The bolt catch, thanks to some packing tape, roll pin starter, squeezing the end of the pin just a bit and a roll pin punch was no tremendous challenge.

The trigger installation was a breeze, while the hammer install was challenging...Would probably been easier if I had a lower receiver block and a vice. It would also probably been a little easier if I had, in addition to a roll pin punch a flat tipped 5/32" punch. My problem with the roll pin punch, using it as a slave pin was that the purchase in the receiver hole slipped before the pin got started in the hammer....

The hardest thing about the safety selector istall was juggling the receiver the grip the detent and spring and the grip screw... it all worked much better when I magnetized the screwdriver and the grip screw would stay on.

As expected the A2 butt stock (remember I low speed high drag in my 50's 5'16" and 250#) was no challenge.

All told it appears that it was a successful build...no lost parts...no extra parts...all the unloaded no upper function checks sat...no impaled appendages, and only a couple of minor episodes of words that I would not want my mother to hear out of my mouth.

Hot checks to follow using my 5.56mm upper off of another carbine.
Now what upper to build for it?????:confused::confused:a precision 5.556 varmint? A .300BO? 6.5 Grendel?

I know define your task then you know what upper to choose....Ground hogs were prevalent last year....We should be able to start deer hunting with rifles again come Fall and a long shot, where I hunt would be 200 ish with the vast majority being inside of 25.....So many options....so little cash...