PDA

View Full Version : Troy Sight Height

ErnieB
12-24-07, 12:23
I just built a new upper and I have Troy flip up front and rear sights. When I installed my EoTech from my other upper with a standard front sight tower I noticed the reticle is about 3mm above the front sight post on the Troys. My worry is that once I zero the irons at 50 yards the front sight post will need to be excessively high. Any else notice this? Both receivers are LMT's with LaRue handguards. Will all this balance out once I zero the gun? The front sight just seems a bit low. Are there different front sight heights?

One other thing is that I went for a standard carbine sight radius to a LaRue with an 11" handguard lengthening the sight radius considerably. I would assume this adds to the issue I'm seeing.

Paulinski
12-24-07, 12:41
You can raise the Eotech by utilizing the LaRue mount. It will give you lower 1/3 cowitness.

Glorybigs
12-24-07, 12:59
I just built a new upper and I have Troy flip up front and rear sights. When I installed my EoTech from my other upper with a standard front sight tower I noticed the reticle is about 3mm above the front sight post on the Troys. My worry is that once I zero the irons at 50 yards the front sight post will need to be excessively high. Any else notice this? Both receivers are LMT's with LaRue handguards. Will all this balance out once I zero the gun? The front sight just seems a bit low. Are there different front sight heights?

One other thing is that I went for a standard carbine sight radius to a LaRue with an 11" handguard lengthening the sight radius considerably. I would assume this adds to the issue I'm seeing.

Your dealing with what the same issues I just went through. Although for me the front sight (Troy buis front and rear mounted on a vis) had to be screwed down very low to achieve a 50yd zero(and to cowitness the EoTech). If you have time prior to the course lets get our rifles together and I will bring out the dial caliper to get a step dimension on the front sights, it would be interesting to see how they compare.

ErnieB
12-24-07, 13:06
I dont want to raise the EoTech, I want to raise the front sight. After looking at this whole thing, I think once I zero it everything will fall into place. The tip of the front sight is about 3mm lower that the center dot on the EoTech.

Charlie, how did you remedy your situation?

ErnieB
12-24-07, 14:30
Here's my setup.

http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg80/erniebeckwith/Newupper1.jpg

Glorybigs
12-26-07, 01:13
I don't know if I resolved the issue, the rifle is sighted in but I would have preferred having the front post slightly higher.

I did find this tidbit on the Bushmaster site http://www.bushmaster.com/catalog_parts_sights_scopes_p4.asp#8448573 that I have been chewing on for a few weeks.

Front Sight Posts
Standard M16A2 steel square post design.

A2 Square Front Sight Post…(9349056)

A2 Front Sight Post for Flat-Top Colts...(9349056-M)
Colt A3 Removable Carry Handle Sights are taller than A1& A2 Rear Sights, and require an .040” taller Front Sight Post. Also for use with Swan Sleeves & ARMS #40 sight

RadioActivity
12-28-07, 13:26
You do realize that the two sights are on different planes and as such the irons do not have to correlate with the optic. Zero the irons, zero the optic. Reconfirm iron sight zero through the optic with the optic off.

The dot does not have to be on the front sight blade to be zero'd, and you are not zeroing the irons to the dot or vice versa. The sights are two separate entities with two separate zeros because they are on two different planes

Sorry if that's a bit obvious, but it seems people confuse this more often then one would think.

82nd Para
12-30-07, 14:40
Anyone think it will be hard for me to sell a troy flip up with S&W M&P written on it. Anyone sold one, or get stuck with one cause of the logo?

Closetcase has it! You do not have to have a co-witness, and personally I think this makes a simple dot or reticle sight more complicated if you try to use it for this. This is why throw arms are made. Sight in your irons, Then mount, and sight in your optics. It the optics fail (when the zombies attack), then take them off, and go to the irons.

I merged your posts, no reason for 99 posts for different thoughts on the same topic. Use the 'edit' button to add an afterthought if you already made a post instead of adding another post.---gotm4

ErnieB
01-10-08, 21:16
Okay.... So I finally got some time off from work and went to zero the gun. When zeroing the irons at 50 yards, the front sight is way too short. The base of the front sight post is about the front sight body by about 3-4000th's and the gun is still not zeroed. What's the deal here? I have increased the sight radius considerably with the 11.0" LaRue handguard adding 3" of radius vs. a standard M4. Could this be causing this? I believe the front post measures .250.

ErnieB
01-11-08, 17:22
Quick update. Through process of elimination I have determined it is not the sight at all. Taking off the sights and the EoTech, I laid the rifle on a perfectly flat surface rail side down. The receiver laid flush but the handguard at the far end of the barrel was raised slightly. Hence the sighting issue. I took everything apart. Painstakingly put it back together, retourqued everything properly, same result.

I called LaRue and they said the receiver was out of spec. I went to work and put the assembly on a Vltor receiver and a Bushy I had laying around as well as another LMT. Same result on all the receivers. I called LaRue again and explained my experiment. They said they would ship me a new barrel nut and then followed up by saying they would ship me a new handguard assembly all together. I am thinking that something, either the barrel nut or the part of the handguard it rests against is out of spec somehow pushing the handguard slightly low as it is torqued.

Anyone else had this issue?