PDA

View Full Version : Need Help With 300 Win Mag Bolt Gun DM

fmagisan
02-23-12, 23:26
I'm looking for a bolt action precision rifle chambered in 300 Win Mag with a detachable magazine at-least 5 rounds capacity. Most of what i've found either has an internal magazine or has a capacity of 3 rounds.

The only gun i've found is the Savage M110 in 300 win mag but it's ballparked at $2,300. Is there any option cheaper?

Thanks!

mark5pt56
02-24-12, 07:00
There are a ton of options available to you. On the surface, it appears to some that bolt guns are simple, well they can be just like an AR or the options are just as endless. Options also include calibers-intended use may change your mind.

You have to ask yourself some questions, a bit deeper than simply wanting a 300wm with a detachable mag system.

Budget
Type of stock
Use of item
Weight
Features
Stock or custom

Fill us in and we can help.

Mark

Found this one--and he is a righteous guy.
This would be a great rifle, not to heavy, with the brake, easy to shoot.
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3134783&gonew=1#UNREAD

A stock Rem PSS or 5R with this

http://www.milehighshooting.com/index.cfm?id=520221&fuseaction=browse&pageid=71

or this

http://www.seekinsprecision.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&category_id=12&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=125&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=2

Jack-O
02-24-12, 10:11
Actually when you get down to brass tacks iin the affordable range, there are not many options for a removable mag 300wm.

Take a close look at the Steyr SSG-04. nothing fancy but it is relatively affordable, has detachable 8 round mags, a chrome line barrel, shoots sub MOA with GMM from the factory, and comes ready to fight with your scope and mount.

Steyr is actually remarkably freindly to dealers and will set up a dealership with as little as one rifle (or used to). the markup from dealer to retail is about 25%, so if you have a good dealer you should be able to get a sweet deal on one.

having played with this one and similar offerings from AW, Sako and Blazer, I can say that the Steyr is by far the best value and gives up nothing to the other models. I actually liked it much better than the TRG-42.

One worthwhile modernization that uses the exact same action and barrel and mags is the SSG-08 with it's folding stock and pistol grip. the folding stock makes a nice addition and it retains the same awesome performance and un-matched 8 rounds capacity mags. Price does double tho :(.

the folding stock can be retrofitted onto an 04 action later if you desire tho, but IIRC the stock runs $3k+ by itself.

My $.02 HTH

ICANHITHIMMAN
02-24-12, 10:18
PTG has a new bottom metal for 120 ish it uses AI mags. If your shooting long VLD type bullets you need the seekins system.

fmagisan
02-24-12, 19:00
You have to ask yourself some questions, a bit deeper than simply wanting a 300wm with a detachable mag system.

Budget
Type of stock
Use of item
Weight
Features
Stock or custom

the budget is about 1500 and under without the optic
preferably a synthetic stock
must shoot sub MOA
weight honestly doesn't matter, i'm not taking it to Afghanistan to hump up a hill
for features, a break would be nice but i don't need anything special

several i've looked at are the rem 700, weatherby vanguard sub moa and winchester model 70 and they are find rifles. They won't work because firstly they don't have detachable magazines so most have 3 round capacities. secondly, msot aren't available in synthetic stocks

thanks

Jack-O
02-24-12, 21:28
with a little work and some time on your part you can find a used gun in that range. IIRC the SSG04 hovers a bit under $2k.

realistically you are looking at dropping at least $5k on a decent system and acoutrements if you penny pinch and shop hard and insist on quality components.

it took me almost 3 years to complete my rig. But I didnt cut any corners and did a lot of research beforehand , constantly evaluated my needs and new technology, and picked stuff I could live and grow with.

turbo38gn
02-24-12, 22:26
I'm looking for a bolt action precision rifle chambered in 300 Win Mag with a detachable magazine at-least 5 rounds capacity. Most of what i've found either has an internal magazine or has a capacity of 3 rounds.

The only gun i've found is the Savage M110 in 300 win mag but it's ballparked at $2,300. Is there any option cheaper?

Thanks!

I've been looking at the 110BA since I shot one last summer. It was pretty incredible to me, I couldn't get over how well the brake worked, my MP15-22 has more kick. It was so smooth, I've been jonesing for one since. I've been watching GB, saw one go for brand new around $1700. They run around $1800 to $1950 on GB.. I'm looking at getting one someday.... I live 10 minutes from Savage Arms... gotta be a deal somewhere around here.. :smile: