PDA

View Full Version : Chop a 18" LaRue PredatAR to 16"?

nickdrak
02-24-12, 00:03
A bud of mine at work needs a rifle by next week for our one time yearly qual course. He ordered a 16" 5.56 PredatAR in December in anticipation of this but due to a large Mil order that LaRue got his 6-8 week delivery estimate turned into a 12-18 week estimate. He was told that if he opted for an 18" PredatAR that he would have it by next week, so he jumped. His 18" is on the way.

He is considering having the barrel chopped to 16" once he gets it. Normally I wouldnt have a problem with that idea, but the super thin profile of the PredatAR barrel concerns me a bit in this case. If chopped to 16" the increased diameter shoulder just behind the flashider will be cut off. How much of an issue, if any would this cause?

Why does he want to chop it to 16"? Because this is going to be used quite regularly for entries serving warrants as well as being mounted inside of a Crown Vic patrol vehicle. 16" is about the limit that I prefer for these specific duties. I like a 14.5" in this role. This is along the same lines of what he is thinking.

ETA: This thread has ZERO to do with the estimated delivery time from LaRue so lets NOT turn this into a LaRue bash fest. Mark clearly states that military orders take precedence over all else, so that is not at issue here.

scoutfsu99
02-24-12, 08:26
Non technical answer? Why on earth would your friend use a LaRue rifle for entry work? I guess I just don't view a rifle like that being thrown around in a squadcar or being abused in entry work. I thought it was more of a precision/hunting/gaming rifle.

Again, non technical, but I would think cutting that barrel would do more harm than good.

Why not go with one of the usual suspects; Colt, etc? Those seem more suitable for a patrol rifle.

Boss Hogg
02-24-12, 08:30
I wouldn't chop a LaRue gun.

jsummers
02-24-12, 09:20
I once cut a Larue Stealth barrel from 18" to 14.5" and never experienced any problems what so ever. the only reason I cut it is because I got it used and wasn't planning on using it as a precision rig. It was still way more accurate than me.

With that being said, I wouldn't chop the barrel. Some departments have rules about "modifying" patrol rifles (which is something to keep in mind as well.)

big b
02-24-12, 17:30
I would give Larue a call and see what their thoughts are on chopping it. If they say no prob then go for it!

TehLlama
02-24-12, 21:00
If the GP is in the right spot, and LT gives the nod, I'd even be considering shrinking it to 14.7" for entry and vehicular use. The problem that adds is now you're stuck looking at a dedicated muzzle device (nothing wrong with an A2, but he may want something pricier since it's on there for good)

FDFenn
02-25-12, 01:06
My OBR is a 16" with Surefire Break on the tip. I can't really think of, or see a better solution than a replacement upper or barrel; don't denigrate a quality.
product, ever. You lose in more ways than only one; weaken, int/ext damage at the tip, affect harmonics, etc. :blink:

Magic_Salad0892
02-25-12, 01:40
I'd just wait. Because I think the port for mid 18'' is larger than mid 16''. I think you'd end up getting an over gassed gun.

16.1'' mid port should be .076'', 18 should be .083'' or something. I could/probably am off.

However, I'm not sure. Consult LaRue.

Casull
02-25-12, 02:45
I'd wait. I would also consider waiting on the Costa 14.5" Larue PredatOBR & be looking into Knight's Armament rifles.

nickdrak
02-25-12, 03:19
His 18" PredatAR is already on the truck on the way to the FFL. He will probably just keep it 18" and send it back to LaRue for a 16" once they are all caught up or if he shoots out the 18" barrel.

tlwest86
04-14-12, 17:59
The PredatAR barrels look to small in diameter to chop, rethread, and reattach a MD device to. I would almost guarantee you that your buddy is stuck with 18" rifle.