PDA

View Full Version : New guy with a couple of CCW questions.

Giff74
02-24-12, 00:56
Hello all,

I do not have my CCW yest, but am working towards it.

I currently own a G19 and a G26. For just being out and about I don't think I would have any issues with inner/outer belt carry, hidden by a shirt or jacket.

My two questions are about CCW when I am out running and at work. At work we all have to wear khaki style pants and company provided polo's. I am on my feet a lot for 10-12 hours a day and during that time I often; stock, cashier, assist old grumpy customers and generally run around like a headless chicken.

I have thought about pocket carry with the G26, but I am worried about printing too much, or worse it falls out and hits the deck.

I am not so worried about hiding it when I run, as I am having it be someplace really secure, but still be easy to get to.

Thanks ahead of time for any feedback!

Giff

PS Mod, if this is in the wrong form please feel free to move it, I just didn't see a more fitting area.

Endur
02-24-12, 01:04
Do they make you tuck your shirts in? As for running someone makes a elastic type waist band thing with a spot for a small pistol. That is about the only thing I could think of uses as per running and carrying. Just wear a loose shirt.

F-Trooper05
02-24-12, 01:18
I've read your post a few times and I don't really see what your question is...

Giff74
02-24-12, 01:29
I've read your post a few times and I don't really see what your question is...

1. If you couldn't carry IWB or OWB, how would you carry at work? There are no rules against CCW where I work but if my boss saw it, even pocket printing, I am sure I would be asked to not bring it back.

2. If you were running outside, at a pretty good pace, how would you secure the gun so that it doesn't move, wiggle or fall out?

Thanks

skyugo
02-24-12, 01:32
if you're serious about pocket carry, consider a j-frame. The G26 is a great IWB gun, but then so is the G19. so now i don't have a G26.

A tuckable holster will work nicely for either glock or a smaller gun.

as far as running, a fanny pack is a good option. Belly bands are good too, but again, i'd go wtih a j-frame over a G26 for that... the glock is damn near a pound heavier than a 38 airweight.

skyugo
02-24-12, 01:32
other pro tip-pleated khakis will reduce pocket printing.

F-Trooper05
02-24-12, 01:38
1. If you couldn't carry IWB or OWB, how would you carry at work? There are no rules against CCW where I work but if my boss saw it, even pocket printing, I am sure I would be asked to not bring it back.

2. If you were running outside, at a pretty good pace, how would you secure the gun so that it doesn't move, wiggle or fall out?

Thanks

1) There are ways to carry IWB with a tucked in shirt. See RCS's tuckable soft loops as an example.

2) http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?3049-I-Need-A-Jogging-Setup!

http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?2746-Anybody-use-anything-like-smart-carry-at-the-gym

J_Dub_503
02-24-12, 01:52
I would recommend a Crossbreed SuperTuck for edc. As for work, a stiffer material will help a lot, but most people aren't going be searching for the shape of a gun. As long as the printing isn't to noticeable you should be fine (especially with a good pocket holster.)

tdoom15
02-24-12, 07:50
All of the above options are good, also check out comptacs offerings. A good carry belt would be a good idea as well, esp if you're active for long periods of time at work.

munch520
02-24-12, 08:14
if you're serious about pocket carry, consider a j-frame.

Bingo. Unless you're talking about (cargo) pockets, the G26 is pretty hard to carry without printing. Or looking like you have a woody.

You can find cheap S&W airweights all over the place, and new I think they're in the $350 range. It's a nice edition for anyone that has to worry about carrying with a suit/gym shorts/etc. where traditional IWB/OWB isn't an option.

chewie
02-24-12, 08:34
i think i would make sure what the policy is with your employer. most employers don't allow any type of weapon to be carried at the workplace or while you are carrying out your job duties.

i have a couple holsters from high noon holsters and i like them.

i use this holster almost all the time due to the construction, convenience and price. i carry every day with this holster. they have a lot of other options. i've used this one with shorts, sweat pants, jeans, etc.

http://www.highnoonholsters.com/Product_Line/Bare_Asset/bare_asset.html

i don't carry anything but a full size pistol. so, i don't have any suggestions for carrying with your shirt tucked in. when i'm not at work, my shirt is not tucked in. when i'm at work, i open carry.

STONE-YARDER
02-24-12, 10:54
Heres a few options: http://magills.com/index/40_Concealment+Clothing/

Trajan
02-24-12, 11:06
It sounds like the RCS Vanguard 2 is the perfect option for you.

Also: make sure you get a good belt, like an Ares Gear Ranger belt. You want something stiff and durable to hold the gun up.

Endur
02-24-12, 11:25
If you go with a crossbreed type holster which I recommend do not get the supertuck. Over priced garbage. You want a good cross breed get tucker gun leather the answer (you can get it leather lined so it wears vs. scratches the finish) or if you want a cheaper holster but still made well get the mtac or the galco kingtuk. The answer is one of the best you can get just expensive. The last two are made better with better hardware than the supertuck but around the same price. How I know I own a answer holster and owned a mtac and have friends with the supertuck and you can tell the difference in quality.

For carry on the job I would go with a iwb crossbreed if they don't make you tuck your shirt, if they do I would get a small frame subcompact with a holster designed for pocket carry. For running it would have to be a belly band/concealment shirt like said before.

mhanna91
02-24-12, 11:38
If you have to tuck in your polo, go with a tuckable holster. You can blouse your shirt just a little bit and it will hide the gun very well. I have to wear a T-shirt tucked into jeans at work and I carry an M&P full size w/ 2 spare mags without any trouble and nobody is the wiser. I use a Raven Concealment LC holster with their tuckable C-hooks. And as for running, I would second the J-frame suggestion. As small as the G26 is I would consider it too heavy to run with.

Punisher1336
02-24-12, 11:45
I carry off duty all the time. I own a 19 and 26, but I carry my 5 shot J frame 38 most of the time off duty because its less bulky. I have a Walther PPK which is also less bulky for off duty, but I prefer my idiot proof J frame.

svtpwnz
02-24-12, 12:59
You already have two great guns for CCW while away from work. For pocket carry, I would highly recommend a Ruger LCP .380 vs a G26. The G26 is way too big to pocket carry even with cargo pants. Get a good holster like a Milt Sparks to better conceal your pistol and you will be fine.

Axcelea
02-24-12, 20:06
To start, beware of employer rules and regulations as well as any laws that can effect CC at your workplace. Mostly the employer rules and regulations will likely be an issue from what is the norm.

Of the two the 26 would be the easiest to carry in general and should be fairly easy to pull off with the right IWB holster even if you have to tuck. The 19 might be just a little to much however with your body type, having to tuck, movements you make, etc although still not necessarily impossible. Although there are circumstances the 26 can be pulled off as a pocket gun it might leave to much to be desired and have issues so you might be better off going away from the max end of the pocket pistol spectrum and go with a J-Frame, sub compact single stack semi-auto, or other option.

Arik
02-25-12, 06:55
I carry IWB at work in a crossbreed type holster. I dont need to have my shirt tucked in but if I did this holster is capable of that.

travellightfreezeatnight
02-25-12, 07:58
I often carry a G21 in fanny pack worn to the front when running or bike riding. My normal, every day mode is IWB with the Glock. Other options I have used are S&W airweight in an IWB clip on holster. This can be concealed wearing practically anything, including shorts and sweats with a t-shirt. The small S&W are great when threat levels are low.

Semper Fi

travellightfreezeatnight
02-25-12, 08:04
Semper Fi