PDA

View Full Version : Mode of Carry for Sig SA DA Pistols

Shaggy9
02-24-12, 02:44
Every handgun ive ever had was always striker fired DA only. I now have a Sig Pro 2022 which is hammer fired SA/DA so its a new beast to me. My question is can it be safely carried with a round in the chamber and the hammer cocked. It doesn't have any external manual safeties but it does have two internal passive safeties, one being a passive trigger safety. I personally dont think its good idea to carry it cocked without a manual safety but i wanted to see what you guys say

Alaskapopo
02-24-12, 02:54
Every handgun ive ever had was always striker fired DA only. I now have a Sig Pro 2022 which is hammer fired SA/DA so its a new beast to me. My question is can it be safely carried with a round in the chamber and the hammer cocked. It doesn't have any external manual safeties but it does have two internal passive safeties, one being a passive trigger safety. I personally dont think its good idea to carry it cocked without a manual safety but i wanted to see what you guys say

NO!
It is designed to be carried hammer down on a loaded chamber. Do not carry it cocked.
Pat

Oscar 319
02-24-12, 02:57
Short answer, no. Never. The long DA trigger pull is the safety.

Shaggy9
02-24-12, 03:08
Short answer, no. Never. The long DA trigger pull is the safety.

I pretty much knew it and i def never woulda carried it cocked but i just wanted to know for sure since its new to me
Thanks!

Sensei
02-24-12, 06:37
There are a number of Smiths who can improve that DA trigger pull if it seems oppressive. I sent mine to Bruce Grey and had the reduced reset package which took about 2 pounds off the DA trigger pull weight.

ra2bach
02-24-12, 13:10
There are a number of Smiths who can improve that DA trigger pull if it seems oppressive. I sent mine to Bruce Grey and had the reduced reset package which took about 2 pounds off the DA trigger pull weight.

you don't have to send it to a smith. I ordered the Wolff reduced-weight package of hammer springs and installed one of them in my 229 and 228. IIRC, it costs like $10.

there are 4 springs - 16, 17, 18, and 19 lbs and I think stock is around 20-22 lbs. it's a pretty dramatic improvement in the DA trigger.

as always test your configuration with all ammo you intend to run through the gun for ignition reliability...

Sensei
02-24-12, 13:39
you don't have to send it to a smith. I ordered the Wolff reduced-weight package of hammer springs and installed one of them in my 229 and 228. IIRC, it costs like $10.

there are 4 springs - 16, 17, 18, and 19 lbs and I think stock is around 20-22 lbs. it's a pretty dramatic improvement in the DA trigger.

as always test your configuration with all ammo you intend to run through the gun for ignition reliability...

This is very true. I sent mine to Bruce Grey for the reduced reset features. I switched the hammer springs in my Beretta's just to reduce the weight.

ra2bach
02-24-12, 13:55
This is very true. I sent mine to Bruce Grey for the reduced reset features. I switched the hammer springs in my Beretta's just to reduce the weight.

ETA: not to take anything away from Bruce - he is THE go-to guy with SIGS...

but I put a SRT trigger and E2 grips in my 226 myself and it's wonderful. I didn't do that with the 229 though as it has close to 10k rounds through it with a "short" trigger. it's already smooth as sex and I don't want to rock the boat.

I'm thinking about putting an E2 grip or an SRT on the 228 but I want it to be similar to my 229 as that is my CCW. I got the 228 for cheaper practice and for saving wear and tear on the 229. right now they're similar enough that it makes a great training aid.

B Cart
02-24-12, 15:50

I would be VERY interested in changing these out in my P229. I'm no armourer by any means, so would these be easy to install myself? Also, I see them on sale at midway, but it looks like they're selling them separately. What spring have you found to be the best in terms of pull weight reduction and smooth operation? Thanks!

Shaggy9
02-24-12, 16:05
There are a number ofaa Smiths who can improve that DA trigger pull if it seems oppressive. I sent mine to Bruce Grey anaad had the reduced reset package which took about 2 pounds off the DA trigger pull weight.

And having work done to lighten the da pull wont effect the sa pull weight? I had thought about having work done to the trigger but i def dont want to lighten the sa pull which is already at 4lbs.
Thanks alot guys, i really appreciate the info!

RIDE
02-24-12, 20:01
Round in the chamber UNcocked.. is the only way... never cocked while carrying.

ra2bach
02-24-12, 20:58
I would be VERY interested in changing these out in my P229. I'm no armourer by any means, so would these be easy to install myself? Also, I see them on sale at midway, but it looks like they're selling them separately. What spring have you found to be the best in terms of pull weight reduction and smooth operation? Thanks!

it depends. what is the purpose of the gun? what ammo will you be shooting in it?

I shot my 229/357SIG for awhile in IDPA with the 16 lb spring and had a couple failures to ignite the primer on my reloads. a second strike of the hammer ignited it in every case. all things considered this was not a fair test because these were reloads and used CCI primers which are reputed to be "hard".

but the memory lingers so I went to the 18lb in this gun as it is now my CCW. it is a very smooth shooting gun with this combo but it does have almost 10K rounds on it. I have not experienced any more failures of any kind with this gun but I only shoot full power factory SD ammo in it.

I recently got a 228/9mm and put the 16lb spring in it as it is mainly for cheap(er) practice and it has much fewer rounds than the 229. it has been completely reliable with factory ammo that I have tried including Wolf 115 gr, PMC 115gr, and Winchester 147gr RA9B. once it breaks in, I'll replace it with the 17 and call it good.

I got my Hammer Spring Pak for $11 directly from Wolff -- http://www.gunsprings.com/Semi-Auto%20Pistols/SIG-SAUER%20%28SIGARMS%29/P-220/cID1/mID4/dID6

notice that it makes a difference what spring base is in your gun. this is what Wolff has to say about it --

"Hammer Springs (Plastic Base) - For Models P-220 thru P-229. Recently Sig has started using a plastic hammer spring base/retainer with a short hammer spring. This is being phased in across all models. If your pistol has the plastic base/retainer for the hammer spring the following springs are for your pistol."

B Cart
02-25-12, 22:52
it depends. what is the purpose of the gun? what ammo will you be shooting in it?

I shot my 229/357SIG for awhile in IDPA with the 16 lb spring and had a couple failures to ignite the primer on my reloads. a second strike of the hammer ignited it in every case. all things considered this was not a fair test because these were reloads and used CCI primers which are reputed to be "hard".

but the memory lingers so I went to the 18lb in this gun as it is now my CCW. it is a very smooth shooting gun with this combo but it does have almost 10K rounds on it. I have not experienced any more failures of any kind with this gun but I only shoot full power factory SD ammo in it.

I recently got a 228/9mm and put the 16lb spring in it as it is mainly for cheap(er) practice and it has much fewer rounds than the 229. it has been completely reliable with factory ammo that I have tried including Wolf 115 gr, PMC 115gr, and Winchester 147gr RA9B. once it breaks in, I'll replace it with the 17 and call it good.

I got my Hammer Spring Pak for $11 directly from Wolff -- http://www.gunsprings.com/Semi-Auto%20Pistols/SIG-SAUER%20%28SIGARMS%29/P-220/cID1/mID4/dID6

notice that it makes a difference what spring base is in your gun. this is what Wolff has to say about it --

"Hammer Springs (Plastic Base) - For Models P-220 thru P-229. Recently Sig has started using a plastic hammer spring base/retainer with a short hammer spring. This is being phased in across all models. If your pistol has the plastic base/retainer for the hammer spring the following springs are for your pistol."

Awesome thanks! I ordered the kit and will give it a try. I shoot mainly factory ammo and some reloads so I'll see how it does

HKGuns
02-26-12, 09:19
Round in the chamber, de-cocked and safety engaged, is how I carry my USP45c. Personal preference......

Microalign
02-26-12, 10:11
DA/SA are designed to be carried hammer down. Never carry a DA/SA pistol in cocked-&-locked mode unless the pistol has a manual safety.

If you are having trouble shooting in DA mode, then it's time to practice practice practice. I have been using Sigs on duty for almost a decade, and like all DA/SA pistols you need to spend more range time to master two trigger conditions. I spend a lot of time just shooting DA at 25yrds.

An Undocumented Worker
02-26-12, 10:19
Take advantage of that double action and dry fire the hell out of it. Place a penny or empty shell casing on the front sight and practice untill the penny or shell casing won't fall off during the trigger pull.

Once you get to that point move up to an even less stable object to place on the front sight, such as a empy 5.56 casing. It shouldn't take long since you don't have to rack the slide every time.

SGB
02-26-12, 10:20
DA/SA are designed to be carried hammer down. Never carry a DA/SA pistol in cocked-&-locked mode unless the pistol has a manual safety.

If you are having trouble shooting in DA mode, then it's time to practice practice practice. I have been using Sigs on duty for almost a decade, and like all DA/SA pistols you need to spend more range time to master two trigger conditions. I spend a lot of time just shooting DA at 25yrds.

Agree 110%

Alaskapopo
02-26-12, 11:31

Technically you can't carry a DA SA Sig cocked and locked because it does not have a manual safety. You can only carry it cocked and unlocked which as has been said is stupid dangerious.
Pat

og556
02-26-12, 22:44
You would have to be out of your mind to carry a Sig in SA mode especially IWB and especially with an SRT Trigger.

The SRT trigger has a stupid short reset which is absolutely awesome but I would never dream of carrying that SA.

Hammer down DA is the way to go for carry.

The reason I went away from Sigs is because I preferred a consistent trigger rather than learning how to shoot DA/SA well. Those who have trained hard with DA/SA guns I have met are just as quick as those who carry striker fired guns or SAO guns.

Its the indian not the arrow.