PDA

View Full Version : HK USP 9mm Compact

SkiDevil
02-24-12, 06:03
HK USP 9mm Compact

http://i757.photobucket.com/albums/xx220/SkiDevil01/P1000584.jpg

http://i757.photobucket.com/albums/xx220/SkiDevil01/P1000596.jpg

http://i757.photobucket.com/albums/xx220/SkiDevil01/P1000591.jpg

I decided to purchase a compact 9mm pistol for concealed carry. After looking for several months at a variety of pistols, I selected the HK USP Compact in 9mm Variant 1 (double/ single action).

I looked through the forum and did not see any recent information regarding this model, so I decided to share my initial impressions of the pistol and offer a comparison to the Glock 19 for those considering a new pistol to purchase due to the degradation in quality for the recent manufactured 9mm chambered Glocks.

Link: http://www.hk-usa.com/civilian_products/uspc_general.asp
I will take some photos later

Before making the purchase, I looked at several models including the Smith and Wesson M&P 9 Compact, HK P30, P2000, P2000SK, Glock 19, Glock 26, HK45C, Glock 30, and HK P7M8.

As a point of reference, I have had the opportunity to shoot and handle all of the above pistols, except for the M&P Compact and HK45C, which I only examined at a dealer. In addition, I have previously owned a Glock (Gen2)19/ 23 and the P7M8.

Of the above listed pistols my decision was narrowed down to the Glock (Gen3) 19, 26, HK 2000SK, and the USP Compact 9mm. I focused on these four models because ultimately I wanted a 9mm compact and favored these.

However, because I have a large hand, I found the two best choices for myself came down to either the HK USP Compact 9mm or the (Gen3) G19.

It was a tough choice between the Glock 19 and the USP Compact. But, I preferred the shorter barrel/ slide and the thinner grip of the HK. In addition, the current production HK 9mm pistols are well known for being extremely reliable guns.

Comparison

Because the Glock 19 is considered the quintessential concealed carry-gun, and I have owned one in the past. I thought that I would share some of my impressions regarding the differences between the two models.

Having owned a Glock 19, I noticed some immediate differences including the following: HK USP Compact barrel is approx. 3.5" vs 4," double/ single action vs safe-action (single-action type pull or hammer vs striker fired), the standard capacity for the HK USP C is 13 vs (G19) 15 rounds, Gen3 19 has finger grooves and standard accessory rail vs proprietary HK rail, and finally the HK USP compact has an internal safety lock.

I found that I preferred the USP Compact because it felt the best in my hand and I particularly liked the aggressive stippling on the pistol's grip. Although, I realize that the finger grooves on a Gen3 19 can be removed it was another item I considered when comparing the two pistols. I don't like the finger grooves and have no intention of mounting a weapon light.

However, one of the greatest differences between the two pistols is the price. The total cost for the HK USP Compact (9mm) pistol with night sights and 4 extra magazines is over $1200.00. In comparison, a comparably equipped Glock and the same accessories would be several hundred dollars less (the price difference between the pistols is more than $300).

Another obvious fact, is that finding a dealer stocking Glock pistols is much easier and the accessories/ parts are more prevalent as well.

Shooting Impressions

Before shooting the pistol, I disassembled the gun and cleaned/ lubed-it. There was some type of grease or a heavy filmed oil used at the factory. I cleaned-it off and lubed the pistol with a combination of CLP gun oil and gun grease.

I purchased the pistol a month ago, and only had the opportunity to shoot it last night. I fired 210 rounds of 115 CCI Blazer Brass ball ammo through-it. It functioned flawlessly with no malfunctions.

In my personal experience, the recoil of the HK USP Compact seems more pronounced than the G19 when firing rapidly. And, the muzzle flash was very bright having fired the pistol in an indoor range with minimal lighting (I turned down the lights). The muzzle flash was not quite as bad as a snub-nosed revolver but not far from it. I will be trying several other brands/types of ammunition in order to see if there is any difference. I have fired the same ammo in a SIG 226 and G17 and don't recall such a pronounced amount of muzzle flash under similar conditions.

Accuracy was excellent, firing the pistol at 21 and 45 feet. In firing precise slow-paced shots, placing groups into a 2 inch dot was fairly consistent, particularly at 7 yards. The pistol shot approx. 1 inch low with the CCI ammo.

Also, there was a great difference between the first double-action shot and the subsequent single-action shots. The single-action pull was light and crisp. As compared to the double-action pull which was long and heavy. In comparison, the Glock has a single uniform trigger-pull which can be easily mastered with use.

Although, I don't feel this is a major handi-cap for myself because I regularly switch between a SIG and Glock.

Is the HK USP Compact better than a G19 or worth an extra $300+ dollars? In my opinion, there is a definite difference in the quality favoring the HK and in my personal experience the USP Compact also has a slight edge in accuracy over the 19. However, only the individual buyer/ shooter can really decide.

I like both the Glock and the HK and if there were currently no problems with the 9mm models, I may have purchased the Glock instead. Both are an excellent defensive pistol.

To conclude, my initial impression of the pistol is that it's a quality made firearm with a great amount of attention to detail. When handling or examining the disassembled/ gun the quality is readily apparent.

Only additional use will reveal whether the pistol will be a reliable firearm and suit my needs. Although I have ordered a holster, I have no intention of carrying the pistol until I have fired at least 1000 trouble-free rounds and located a suitable defensive round with minimal muzzle flash.

Thus far, the best pistol I have owned for concealed carry has been the P7M8, and I gave serious thought of purchasing another. But because of the increased cost and limited availability of parts, I wanted something similar with a more corrosive resistant finish. The USP Compact may be that pistol, but only time will tell.

newyork
02-24-12, 06:17
If you line the sights up and make your point of aim where the dot on your front sight is, you will be dead on. Ppl shoot HKs an inch or so low because they try to "lollipop" their sights, so the target sits on top of the front sight like on Glocks, Sigs etc. HKs are meant to have the target behind the sight, where the dot on the front sight is.
Nice write up.

munch520
02-24-12, 08:20
If you line the sights up and make your point of aim where the dot on your front sight is, you will be dead on. Ppl shoot HKs an inch or so low because they try to "lollipop" their sights, so the target sits on top of the front sight like on Glocks, Sigs etc. HKs are meant to have the target behind the sight, where the dot on the front sight is.
Nice write up.

This took me $11 in ammo to figure out. Great point! And good thoughts OP, they're different animals at different price points. It's a user-driven decision on whether or not one is worth it over the other.

Also, interesting take on the cost side of things:

"Back on Message - some reasons why HK pistols (and HK firearms in general) are more expensive than their competitors.

1. Most are designed, built and tested to NATO MIL specs (ACC-225), not commercial specs. NATO specs includes tests not conducted by many commercial makers such as drop tests, obstructed bore tests, extreme temps, ice, static sand, OTB, elevated/depressed, etc.
2. All (100%) of HK firearms are test fired and zeroed at the factory. In some companies only a % are tested.
3. HK materials (steel, barrel, etc.) are of the highest quality available and it shows in long-term or worst case scenarios. The superior barrel performance is a good example, though you may never see it in casual use.
4. HK pistols are not assembled by armorers’ students and then sold to customers. Some companies have been known to do so.
5. The average German worker is paid at a far higher rate than the equivalent US worker. Part of the reasons why includes the mandatory training they must receive and tests they must pass before receiving the position. The cost of living in Germany is also higher and HK contributes to a substantial “Pensioner Fund” for its retirees. Many also work at the same company for decades and not uncommon are 40 year employees!) and therefore rise high on the pay scale for their extensive hard-earned skill and experience.
6. HK barrels are made by a cold hammer forged process using a material that is unique to HK guns. Many barrels get special HK-unique steps added such as a tapered, poly, hybrid poly bore profile or induction hardening and all long-gun barrels are straightened. As an example, Stelite liners are not used in HK MG barrels – they are simply not needed and perform as well or better.
7. Compare the polymer molding and machining of say an HK P30 and a SIG P229. It is RARE to see machining marks on an HK.
8. HK rigorously tests their products to destruction in a "Firing Lab" manned with very senior test personnel before the design is frozen. This reduces the incidence of post-release issues. HK also takes and test its products at remote environmental test facilities to include desert (Yuma Proving Grounds, Saudi Arabia), arctic (Norway, Alaska), jungle (Brunei, Panama). That costs BIG bucks but pays off in hard core performance.
9. HK guns are imported for the most part (or the parts used to assemble them in NH) are imported. That results in mandatory FET, freight and exchange rate subsidies being added and passed on to the customer. HK as a German gun maker and importer they also have to comply with stringent export controls and that too costs money, which gets passed along in sale prices.
10. The cost of the production tooling (and materials) used by HK to produce, assemble and QA product is high as it includes QA tests and steps not conducted by many other makers. HK cut its teeth as a mass producer and still today builds the production tooling with that in mind – high volumes with a lot of automation. That tooling and gauging costs money as does the high hourly rates of the skilled workers and the additional time required to conduct it.
11. 10-20% of HK’s annual operating budget is spent on its extensive “Technique” departments to include Design, Prototype Fabrication and the Firing Lab. These are the highest paid, most skilled workers at HK and that costs money as well. They are best of breed and always have many more projects up in the air then you might think, or know of (Phased Plasma Rifle in the 80 watt Range).
12. HK places itself purposely in the “higher end” of the market. Like BMW and Mercedes HK knows it rates are higher and always will be compared to say Colt, S&W, Beretta, etc. So they go after superior performance and quality at a higher price point to fewer purchasers versus a cheaper, lower quality product to more buyers.
13. @ 15% of HK annual revenue is reinvested in new products, and infrastructure. While that may not seem like a lot it is and the state of the factory at in Oberndorf shows it. Look at the state of their competitors factories. There are few that compare to HK GmbH in the eyes of those who have been to many others. HK spends the revenue it makes off of both commercial and Government sales on new product so in a way the US commercial buyer who purchases an HK45 pistol helps fund the development of the MG4 LMG or XM25.
14. HK builds much of the weapon parts in house to maintain quality control. While cheaper subs are available one loses some control in doing so. HK’s goal has always been to minimize cost but maintain quality and to do so it keeps many items in house that in many others companies go to the higher bidder (magazines, small piece parts, etc.). HK also has some of the very best MIM and molding capabilities and can thus up the quality of their product by using their own, superior product.
15. Like HK, HK’s subs are of a higher quality for the same reasons and with the same end results. You buy the very best frame mold in Germany, it will cost you but the end product is superior.
16. Interchangeable parts – very few HK parts are not fully interchangeable without hand fitting. Even in a gun like the GMG, there are no parts that require hand fitting. This requires that each and every raw material and finished part, and each tool that fabricates the part, is dimensionally and exactly the same and maintained the same at all time by constant checks by skilled personnel with high dollar measuring devices and gauges. Again something you may never see but it insures when you replace a part it both fits and works w/o modifications.
17. HK has voluntarily developed, tested and included in their product unique features like USP firing mode modularity, MK23 barrel O-rings, special high performance finishes, unique G36/HK416 gas systems, drop-in LEM trigger systems, side-loading 40mm grenade launchers, GMG’s with extruded aluminum receivers and HK211’s with Ti receivers, unique cartridges for things like MP7 and P46, etc. HK also makes over 100 models of HK firearms currently and 1000’s of modular variants for users the world over speaking many languages, which costs money to build, inventory, document and record these countless production variations.

There are a few other reasons which I will not mention here.

Hope this helps.

G3Kurz"

hotrodder636
02-24-12, 08:49
Nice write up.

+1!!

I figured this out with my USP40C after about 100 rounds...

Cosmo M3
02-24-12, 13:08
you get what you pay for

Love all my pistols, but the build quality in the HK shows

jc000
02-24-12, 14:29
OP--what differences did you find between the P2000 full-size and the USPc which led you to the USPc?

Great write-up, thanks!

djmorris
02-24-12, 20:15
I love my full size USP. Honestly, I can even CCW it and I'm not a particularly large guy.

It's not hard to see why an HK costs more than most other guns when you hold one, IMO. The quality and precision of each and every little part is crazy.

HKGuns
02-25-12, 10:04
Nice write up.

Yep, great advice. Line up the three dots across and cover the target. A subtlety not everyone notices......

Munch, you forgot a couple items.

5b. The German workers council is difficult to deal with and keeps salaries high and work rules inflexible.

5c. Vacations and holidays are longer than in the US which translates into higher cost per unit of MFG.

SkiDevil
02-25-12, 14:04
Originally Posted by newyork
Nice write up.

+1!!

I figured this out with my USP40C after about 100 rounds...

Thanks guys. I appreciate the advice.

P.S. I adjusted my sight picture after 3 magazines and starting placing rounds in the X-ring.

SkiDevil
02-25-12, 14:31
OP--what differences did you find between the P2000 full-size and the USPc which led you to the USPc?

Great write-up, thanks!

It was a personal preference.

The two pistols are very similar (even use the same magazines).

There are some minor differences.

The biggest factor for me was the grip design. I do not care for any detachable back-straps and greatly preferred the stippling on the USP Compact because it covers the entire grip. Also, I prefer the traditional location of the de-cocker safety on the side of the pistol versus next to the hammer.

When I handled the HK45C, this was something which I noticed as well. The smooth surface of the grip panels on some of the newer HK designed pistols are not an improvement in my opinion.

I am sure that you could add a rubber Hogue hand-all type grip/ inner tube to the pistol grip, but I would rather not.

SkiDevil

Hogsgunwild
02-25-12, 14:32

Great write-up, thanks!

Can't speak for SkiDevil of course but the topic of differences interests me as well.

I like the USP Compact's ability to be carried in Condition 1 / cocked and locked.

I like the checkered front-strap and general feel of the grip.

I especially decided to get away from my P2000's (.40 S&W) light LEM trigger. I loved it at first and then developed issues with anticipation of the shot. My schedule kept me from practicing enough and over the course of about 10 weeks, and, I had a sinus infection and vasectomy. My inability to get enough range time and being temporarily physically out of shape was not conducive to switching to a smaller .40 cal gun with a new trigger system. I read up on forums and realized that running the LEM can take a considerable amount of effort to master and I have decided that although I liked the system, it was not ideal to run a LEM when I am so comfortable with cocked and locked carry and still have other guns set up that way that I intend to use. I am trying to keep everything the same so I will not use DA/SA either. Even though I have a lot of revolver DA time, I just want to stay SA with a thumb safety.

Last but not least, I think the trigger and reset is the best on the USP series of guns. I have shot the P30s, HK45s / compacts and P2000s enough that I just love the USP trigger and reset the best.

djmorris
02-26-12, 12:41
Last but not least, I think the trigger and reset is the best on the USP series of guns. I have shot the P30s, HK45s / compacts and P2000s enough that I just love the USP trigger and reset the best.

Agreed. I love the trigger on my USP. The DA is nice an smooth and the follow up SA is also buttery smooth with a good reset/very light pull.. easily one of my favorite stock triggers.

R3V3LATIONS
02-26-12, 13:13
Not to sound like an Echo or HK fan boy, but damn they sure build a nice pistola. I, a few months ago, decided to purchase an HK USP 45c over the glock 30 sf. Haven't looked back since.:dance3:

All the bemoaning of HK's trigger systems, I really haven't experienced. I've found them to be smooth with a clean break. I guess its different for everyone, but on the web its made out to be apocalyptical IMHO

Now, with all the problems mentioned on late gen 3 and 4 glocks, all my pistols will either be early gen 3 glocks or HK's. Next 9mm will be the p30, as i think thats about the best NIB 9mm in all categories, YMMV though.

buckshot1220
02-26-12, 21:38
I also sing the praises of HK. I own a HK45C and a P2kSK. Both have been bombproof. The 45C has a touch over 3,500rds through it with the only malfunctions ever being two failure to ejects from the same box of crappy UMC ammo. The P2kSK has a lower round count (about 2000) and zero malfs to date.

Like others have said, I do wish the 45C had a bit rougher grip texture from the factory, but some grip tape fixed that up really quick. Both of mine are the LEM trigger as well, I'm not a fan of C&L or a heavy DAO, but for some I understand that is a good selling point. I'm currently looking for a .40cal P2k with LEM trigger.

Good luck with your USP. It is nice to see people acknowledging an "older" design and its merits vs. newer models.

djmorris
02-27-12, 07:55
All the bemoaning of HK's trigger systems, I really haven't experienced. I've found them to be smooth with a clean break. I guess its different for everyone, but on the web its made out to be apocalyptical IMHO

So true. The way I look at it is you can't really find a negative for any HK guns so people online naturally say "teh triggorz is horrible on HKs!" but in reality most of these people have never even touched an HK. Triggers are a YMMV thing; it's very rare that a quality gun has an all around horrible trigger that nobody likes.

The USP is an older model but that doesn't mean it's not still a viable weapon. It's one of the most proven designs in firearms and all the newer HK designs are based off from the USP - just different ergos. What I like about the USP is over the years it has proven to be truly universal (as the name states) with it being available in the three different calibers, meanwhile HK's other designs cater to specific calibers. There's nothing outdated about the USP unless you consider the rail outdated but I'm using an el-cheapo $10 rail attachment which looks mean and is very snug. The P2k also has the same rail situation. Again, it doesn't bother me at all.

IMO, the USP was ahead of it's time and is definitely still one of the top dogs as far as a duty/combat handgun go.

buckshot1220
02-27-12, 09:24
So true. The way I look at it is you can't really find a negative for any HK guns so people online naturally say "teh triggorz is horrible on HKs!" but in reality most of these people have never even touched an HK. Triggers are a YMMV thing; it's very rare that a quality gun has an all around horrible trigger that nobody likes.

The USP is an older model but that doesn't mean it's not still a viable weapon. It's one of the most proven designs in firearms and all the newer HK designs are based off from the USP - just different ergos. What I like about the USP is over the years it has proven to be truly universal (as the name states) with it being available in the three different calibers, meanwhile HK's other designs cater to specific calibers. There's nothing outdated about the USP unless you consider the rail outdated but I'm using an el-cheapo $10 rail attachment which looks mean and is very snug. The P2k also has the same rail situation. Again, it doesn't bother me at all.

IMO, the USP was ahead of it's time and is definitely still one of the top dogs as far as a duty/combat handgun go.

For someone coming from a decent 1911 or similar pistol with a decent trigger I can see why they would complain. It is, however, more than adequate for duty/carry. The reset could also stand to be a bit shorter (especially the LEM models).

I agree with you on being ahead of their time. Glocks and USPs were the first polymer pistols carried by LE/Mil and continue to have little competition other than the fairly new M&P line.

SkiDevil
09-30-12, 01:04
As of 9/29/2012

922 Rounds fired

*Only 3 ammunition related induced malfunctions (Failure to feed/ Stove pipe, occurred with commercial reloads).

Ammunition fired:

CCI Blazer (Brass cased) 115 gr FMJ
Winchester WWB 115 gr FMJ
Federal 124 gr FMJ Military Over-run
Federal 124 JHP Hydra-Shok
Commercial Reloaded [Range reloads] 115gr FMJ
Federal American Eagle 115 gr FMJ

Observations:

The pistol is very reliable and well made. It fires almost any loading with above average accuracy. The pistol points naturally and has a minimal amount of recoil.

In just under a thousand rounds, using factory ammunition the pistol was flawless in operation. On one occasion, I fired approx. 250 rounds of reloaded ammunition and experienced several malfunctions. I fired the remaining 250 rounds of reloaded ammunition out of a SIG 226 with no issues.

I recently acquired a Galco holster but have not yet carried the pistol. I am awaiting a mag pouch and a new belt for the pistol.

In my opinion, the HK USP Compact is a very reliable, accurate, self-defense/ combat type pistol. Overall, I am very satisfied with the purchase. The only improvements, I feel are needed would be to lighten the DA pull and replacement of the standard 3-dot sights.

In addition, the 3.5" barrel results in a pronounced muzzle flash. So, far the only self-defense type ammunition used was the Federal HS JHP. Although it was very accurate in the pistol, the excess flash is a liability. Apparently, the loss of a 1/2" of barrel contributes to the problem. The muzzle flash was exhibited by almost all of the loadings (pistol was fired indoors with minimal lighting).

My immediate plans are to replace the factory sights with Heine straight 8 night sights and to possible send the pistol to Bruce Gray for trigger work (DA).

I feel this type of pistol is a strong candidate for a concealed firearm or for a plain clothes duty sidearm. It is reliable, accurate, and compact enough to offer an option for a more concealable self-defense firearm.

SkiDevil
12-13-12, 14:22
HK USP Compact 9mm - 1475 Rounds

Update:

I have now fired well over 1,000 rounds through the pistol with no additional malfunctions or failure to feeds. Using both factory ammunition and commercially reloaded rounds, predominately in 115 gr FMJ and 124 FMJ/ JHP gr loads.

My experience continues to be positive and I am very satisfied by the performance of the pistol.

The HK USP Compact in 9mm is one of the better handguns which I have owned. It was purchased with the intent of being used as an everyday carry gun. Prior, the best concealed carry pistol which I owned or used was the HK P7M8. In some ways, the USP Compact reminds me of the P7 in that it is extremely accurate, reliable, compact, and points well.

PROS
In my opinion, thus far the strengths or most positive aspects of the pistol are that it is lightweight, compact, reliable, and accurate. The metal magazines are well designed, durable, and reasonably priced. Also, the aggressive stippling is excellent on providing a solid grip on the pistol. Finally, the 13+1 capacity is more than adequate for its intended purpose.

CONS
The only negatives which I have noted are that the grip is slightly short if you have a large hand and more difficult to fire with the flat plate magazines. However, I would acknowledge that even with the flat magazine plate, I am still able to fire the pistol with sufficient accuracy for self-defense.

Finally, the factory sights although usable do not lend to accurate low-light shooting. In using the pistol in outdoor conditions one hour after sunset, I could not see the white-dots or recognize the sights.
Even with a flash-light, I did not readily notice the sight's white dots other than the outline of the metal front and rear sight.

With that said, even firing with no lighting, the pistol points well and I was making centered rapid-fire hits 4-6" at 7 yards on an Alco BT-5 target without the use of the sights.

I intend on purchasing night sights for the pistol and I am leaning towards the Mepro-light brand because I have already used them on several guns I own. I was initially considering Heine Straight-8 sights, but reconsidered because I do not want to send my pistol or slide off for the installation. I prefer a sight that any local gunsmith or armorer can easily install.

The final weakness is the double-action trigger. I do not have access to a trigger-pull gauge, but I would estimate the trigger pull on the USP Compact 9mm (which I own) is approx. 11-12 pounds. Even though it is heavy, the pull is smooth with no creep. In addition, the transition from the double to single-action pull is easily accomplished. For myself it may be because I have used DA/ SA pistols for many years.

Another observation which I have made is that the double-action pull has smoothed-out and the single-action pull is very crisp and reminds me of my SIG 226s which have one of the best single-action trigger pulls of all the handguns I have owned. I firmly believe that after another 1,000 rounds the trigger pull will improve even more. Also, I have been dry-fire practicing with the pistol on a weekly basis and I am becoming more accustomed to the trigger pull.

In conclusion, I am extremely satisfied with my purchase. So much in fact that I purchased an HK USP Compact .45 as well. I have carried the USP Compact 9mm on a couple of occasions and it is lighter and more compact than the other pistols I normally carry (SIG 226/ Glock 17/ SIG 220). Once I have installed the night-sights and purchased a different holster (I don't care for the Galco which I purchased) then it will start seeing more use.

If you are searching for a concealed carry/ off-duty compact pistol, the HK USP Compact in 9mm is a fine choice. Even though there are some who feel the design is dated, I believe that it remains a solid option in light of many other designs currently having quality control and reliability issues. Of the other HK 9mm pistol models, I like the USP Compact design because of the excellent trigger, above average accuracy, proven design, durability, aggressive stippling on the grip and front strap, and +P+ rating ammunition compatibility.

loupav
12-13-12, 16:46
The P2k also has the same rail situation. Again, it doesn't bother me at all.

My P2000's wear TLR-2s right out of the box with no adapters. However I must admit, that they don't like X300's very much, they are usually too loose on my P2000's. But they fit.

rauchman
12-14-12, 09:43
Always really liked the USP9C. One of the more accurate pistols I've shot in it's class.

Congrats and enjoy!

12-14-12, 09:52
Own the USP Tac .45 and the USPc .45; brother has the USPc 9mm. Not a single issue in multiple classes for any gun. Full disclosure, I now shoot the G17/19 platforms and am content, but still consider the USP line to be one of the finest, period.

remington79
12-15-12, 16:13
My first pistol was a HK USP40C. I still have that pistol but I don't carry it anymore since if I ever had the misfortune of using it I don't want to lose it. I'm not as attached to my G30.

I have around 3275 rounds through it. The only problems I had with it was during the first 500 rounds there were times the slide wouldn't go fully into battery. I partially attribute that to the flat nose of the 40 caliber rounds and maybe the feed ramp needed to smooth out a little. After I got above the 500 round mark it never again. It was easy to fix. All you had to do was push the rear of the slide and it would go into battery.

I like how rough the grip is. No matter how sweaty my hands are there is no chance the pistol is going to slip out of my hands. The double action trigger could be a little lighter but with it being the way it is I'm able to carry it decocked with the safety off. Having the safety was a good way to get comfortable carrying since you could carry it decocked and the safety on. The pistol is also very safe if dropped. One time my wife dropped it (it fell out of the kydex holster) and it landed on the rear of the slide. It took a couple of little gouges out of the slide. however those little spots have never rusted ,the pistol still functions fine, and it didn't discharge when it was dropped.

As for the aim I shoot everything point of aim, point of impact. I never had an issue doing that shooting any pistol from Glocks, 1911s, HK, and a SW 4506. When I bought the HK I was a poor college student. I wanted the best so I saved my pennies. I have never regretted my choice.

FYI: The USPC is only offered in 3 calibers but they also used to make it in 357 Sig and they used to offer a stainless steel slide. Now you can only get it with HK's Hostile Environment finish. (unless they changed it but when I bought mine that was the finish/treatment)

SkiDevil
02-07-14, 17:06
HK USP 9 Compact Update

I continue to receive excellent service from the pistol. The HK USPc 9 mm pistol is accurate and reliable in use with no malfunctions or other issues experienced in the approx. the last 1,000 rounds fired. Also, the double-action trigger has smoothed out considerably and lightened to around 10 Lbs.

Another observation is that the pistol will fire almost any brand factory ammunition with no problems. In addition, the factory 10 rd magazines are just as reliable as the standard capacity ones. This is not always the case, such as with two Glock models I owned where the 10 rd mags were unreliable. I also like that the magazines are easy to disassemble and clean.

In addition, I installed several of the flat base plates and have become more accustomed to shooting the gun with them.
Finally, although the rough stippling can cut into my hand when firing the pistol extensively it is reassuring to know the gun will not move out of my grip whatever the circumstances.

Because of the shortage of 9mm ammunition in my area, I have transitioned to a HK USP 45. But I still shoot the USPc 9 regularly whenever I am able to get to the range.

I have recently obtained a set of Meprolite night sights, but I am still looking for a new holster.