Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Need Gun Safe Recommendations ...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by scottp999 View Post
    Get something small and cheap that gives you better security and fire protection then you have now (bolt it to the floor and walls), then save for a Graffunder. A Graffunder B rate is better than any of the high end safes from those "common" names you hear of.

I'm saving up for a C rate Graffunder. The smallest B rate is over 5k (1200lbs empty) and the C rate is 8k (1800lbs empty). Upgrades will definitely include going from a type 2 lock (which is good) to a type 1 "manipulation proof" that are not manipulation proof but should buy you up to 20 hours of someone good trying to play with it.

The Amsec BF Series, Model RF6528 (3500lbs empty) is the only other thing I would consider a true safe and is a good option if you want to spend less. http://www.amsecusa.com/gun-safes-HS-main.htm

This is a very good thread on the subject: http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=221434
    That's not necessarily true. Graffunder has a reputation of being the nicest safe that no safe expert/locksmith would ever own. This is from my research at least. Never really caught the reason for it just seemed to be a regular bit of knowledge that few people know about. I've been deeply researching all options as well. We are doing a vault in our new house and have been looking at doors/safes (for inside).

It really just depends on what your needs are. If you have a security system that can page or call your cell phone and a safe that takes a decent thief say 6-10 mins to get into then you have no real worries for most applications. Of course if you travel out of town then you will be out of luck if the thief is a pro. You're not really buying security you are buying time. Anything can be taken down with enough time. Just ask yourself the question "how much time do I need typically to get home/call the authorities?" That should help. Good luck

PS: I second the used commercial safe thing. If you can find them they are a good deal.

Feedback Score
    Just to put things in perspective:

The Amsec BF6030 has a security rating of RSC ("discourages" smash and grab), is fire rated for 90 minutes, weighs 885 pounds, and can be had for around $2000 +/- delivered.

The Amsec RF6528 (slightly larger capacity) has a security rating of TL-30 (resistant to "tool attack" for 30 minutes - better), is fire rated for 2 hours (and at higher temperatures - better), weighs 3455 pounds (YIKES!) and will set you back around $5000 +/- delivered.

They are both gun safes... but clearly serve different purposes... at a significant price differential...

Feedback Score
    I met with the closest Amsec dealer this morning.

He wants $3,000 for a basic BF6030 with an S. & G. mechanical lock with no accessories, ground floor delivery and sales tax are not included in that price either.
    Cold Zero

Feedback Score
    IMHO $3000 for the Amsec BF6030 is too high... that's close to... even over... full retail price... a little googling reveals the following:

http://www.safeshowroom.com/eshop/catalog/BF6030.asp

http://www.deansafe.com/amg-bf6030.html

http://www.safeandvaultstore.com/pro...-safe&item=784

http://www.gunsamerica.com/976784083...0_Gun_Safe.htm

Looks like around $1700 +/- is what you might call the street price. With Internet sellers you pay for "curbside" delivery but you usually avoid tax... so your left with installation... You can hire a local company for a lot less than the difference in price from what you were quoted. Or you can of course do it yourself... a little out my league.

I shopped around till I found the right deal locally. Any other sellers near you... at least within delivery distance? What about offering up what the competition is on the 'Net and maybe get your safe guy to come down...

Lots of options to beat that $3000 number...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ZDL View Post
    Graffunder has a reputation of being the nicest safe that no safe expert/locksmith would ever own. This is from my research at least.
    Well, if you know, help us out. Why do experts/locksmiths avoid it like the plague? First time I'm hearing of such a reputation from anywhere.
    NRA, SAF, MSI, and JPFO Member

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by scottp999 View Post
    Well, if you know, help us out. Why do experts/locksmiths avoid it like the plague? First time I'm hearing of such a reputation from anywhere.
    Wish I could. The articles I read even said things like "can't really describe it but as a locksmith I would spend my money elsewhere" or variations of the sort.

Hell, it was the internet so who knows? Could all be BS. I just wanted to add that to the discussion is all. I highly doubt anyone can go wrong with a graffunder.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Thumbs up

Get "installation" or whatever term the seller utilizes to indicate some one (hopefully three guys) will deliver your safe to its exact location in your residence. I've seen too many accidents, some involving injury, with a hotshot who was sure he and buddy could easily move a 700lb safe into a basement, for example. Let the pros do it. Trust me on this..

Feedback Score
    Dogloose, thanks for the links. For $1,700 or even $2K I would be all over that safe. $3K plus tax and in home delivery is another story. At that price I will pursue other options. I have no thought of installing it myself, just too heavy.
    Cold Zero

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Over a year ago, I was just like the o.p., looking for an affordable safe, but still wanting a full-size, 30-min fireproof, solid safe. Something better than the cheapos you get at Walmart or Home Depot.

I finally stumbled across Diamondback safes. They are an excellent buy, excellent quality, and I couldn't be happier with mine. No, I have no connection to them, I just think they make great safes!

http://www.diamondbackgunsafes.com/

Feedback Score
    Remember if you go for something that is 10 or 12 gauge steel that someone can get into it in a hurry with a fire axe. That's where positioning, bolting down, and concealment are very important. I personally would not buy a container that wasn't atleast 3/16" steel and preferably 1/4".
    NRA, SAF, MSI, and JPFO Member

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast