Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Is that with or without the nut?
    With.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    How does this rail do with heat?
    I looked at one a little bit ago but since bare rails tend to get excessively hot after a few drills I didn't pay much time contemplating it.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Regarding heat. How much barrel heat transfer is from direct contact at the barrel nut end vs heat radiation from the barrel itself?

This rail is very thin aluminum with many holes - it will dissipate any heat quickly. I imagine if the majority of the heat is direct contact heat at the nut it wouldn't be such an issue - especially if you hold forward on the tube per latest practice.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by grunz View Post
    Regarding heat. How much barrel heat transfer is from direct contact at the barrel nut end vs heat radiation from the barrel itself?

This rail is very thin aluminum with many holes - it will dissipate any heat quickly. I imagine if the majority of the heat is direct contact heat at the nut it wouldn't be such an issue - especially if you hold forward on the tube per latest practice.
    I don't know about this rail, hence the question, but I can definately say that aluminum handguards, whether FF or not, get really hot relatively fast unless you have rail covers or an oven-mitt, regardless of where on the HG you hold.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    I should be getting my Troy TRX 11" Extreme this Thursday or Friday. I also just bought a quality Ohaus scale to weigh it on. I will post results when I get them.

I also just got a Troy TRX 11" STANDARD rail - with the barrel nut it weighs 19.84oz. The width of the rail L to R is 2.200" For comparison, my Troy MRF-MX 10" with a standard barrel nut is 16.16 oz.

In addition I emailed Troy (when I was originally looking into these rail systems) and the following is what I received from them regarding the weights on the STANDARD TRX rail:

----------------------
    The weights I have so far are

TRX 7” standard = 13.900
    TRX 9” Standard = 16.722
    TRX 11” Standard = 20.043

All weights include the barrel nut. I do not have the weight of the 13” TRX standard yet.

--
    Tom
    Troy Industries Inc.
    128 Myron St
    West Springfield, MA 01089

So Troy and my measurements were quite close on the 11" Standard TRX rail

And finally, this is what I recieved from Troy regarding the TRX EXTREME rail weights:

---
    The TRX extreme 11” is 9.93 with rail sections, The 13” extreme is 11.43 with rail sections.

--
    Tom
    Troy Industries Inc.
    128 Myron St
    West Springfield, MA 01089

In a later email Tom said that these weights included the barrel nut. I think they may be off a little on these weights from what I've heard from other people. Like I said, once I get the rail later this week, I'll weigh it to verify and then post results.

Feedback Score
    I’ve been using my 11” TRX Extreme for a few weeks now and really like the simplicity of the design. I have smallish paws, so the lower profile gives me a much better control. You will feel the heat after a few mags but it’s really not much worse than any other design out there. Wear a glove and it won’t be an issue.

There is plenty of space under the rail as well. I cutted down my old FSB and there are some space to spare.
    Last edited by memberonly; 09-16-09 at 18:57.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I got the same email from Tom with this information
    TRX extreme: 9”= 8.46 oz, 11” = 9.93 oz, 13” = 11.43 oz
    TRX Standard 9” = 16.72 oz, 11” = 20.04 oz, estimated 13” = 24 oz

I'm pretty surprised at the weights of the Standard version. Twice what the Extreme weighs!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rjacobs View Post
    Nice looking rail.

Is it just me or holy shit do you have a ton of ammo stacked up in some of those pics.
    Are you talking about this stack?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    How does this rail do with heat?
    I looked at one a little bit ago but since bare rails tend to get excessively hot after a few drills I didn't pay much time contemplating it.
    I haven't been able to get it out to the range to see how the heat will transfer to the rail. I have the JP VTAC rail on a S&W VTAC Rifle and I have never noticed it getting excessively hot during drills. However, I always try to wear gloves when running carbines.

Feedback Score
    Ok, so I received my 11" TRX Extreme yesterday and immediately put it on the scale to see how she would stack up and I was a little dissapointed as the rail gains weight pretty quickly as you add on the accessory rails. Also, the weights I got weren't even close to what Troy stated in their email to me which was "The TRX extreme 11” is 9.93 with rail sections...and this weight includes the barrel nut" So here are my results:

11" TRX Extreme rail and barrel nut ONLY = 10.24 oz.
    3" bolt-on rail section with screws and threaded plate = 1.20 oz.
    4" bolt-on rail section with screws and threaded plate = 1.44 oz.
    11" Rail, barrel nut, both 3" bolt-on sections and one bolt-on 4" section = 14.08 oz.

Note that the 4" rail section had a QD swivel socket milled into it so at least you wouldn't have to add the weight of an add-on QD socket. If you weren't going to bolt on all the add-on rails, this would be a pretty light weight rail, but in comparison, the Daniel Defense Lite 12" rail only weighs 14 oz. including barrel nut. Granted, you'd have to add a bolt-on QD swivel socket, but the Daniel Defense QD socket I have only weighed in at 0.48 oz.

I guess this is why I'm a little dissapointed, because even with the added weight of the bolt-on QD socket and with full length picatinny rails on all 4 sides the Lite rail (which is also 12" long vs. the Troy's 11") would only weigh 0.4 oz more than the Troy with all the bolt-on sections attached. After looking at the TRX, I think Troy could have made it quite a bit lighter in some areas with a few extra machining steps.

If you were going to run this rail without any of the bolt-on sections, hands down, it is the lightest and smallest rail currently produced and is a pretty innovative design. I would, like some of you in the previous comments, be concerned about heat from the barrel if shooting without gloves and running some high round counts.

As far as the TRX Standard is concerned - I'm with rob - it is an extremely heavy rail and other than how it mounts, I see nothing that really stands out with this rail. Again, looking more in-depth at this rail, there is a LOT Troy could have done to make it lighter - just more machining steps, which of course equals a higher price.

In the end I think I'll just end up putting a Danel Defense 12" Lite rail on this rifle as I think it will better suit my needs than either the TRX Extreme or Standard. I'll be posting them both of the TRXs for sale in the EE pretty soon.
    Last edited by 3CTactical; 09-18-09 at 17:39.

Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast