Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: gun safe?

Feedback Score
    They're the mosty costly, but Fort Knox safe's are state of the art.
    NRA Benefactor Life
    Life Member Sons of Confederate Veterans

Feedback Score
    I picked up my safe at bass pro shops for 499 - 10% discount for opening up a card with them. It is large size, but without fire resistance ratings (but it does have gypsum boards) and it has a non electric lock. It is heavy as hell and came pre-drilled with bolts for attachment to the floor. Big made in the USA sticker too. It is good enough for me.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I have a Heritage with a S&G electronic lock that is about 8 years old with no issues. I got a great deal on it used but I was skeptical of the electronic lock at first. After owning it for 6 years and having a couple issues with a mechanical lock safe, I am digging the convenience of the electronic.
    "The sword is more important than the shield, and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental." John Steinbeck

Feedback Score
    I would look into a Liberty or Cannon first - especially in your price range. I believe Cabelas is a Cannon dealer. I work part time in The Lodge at Dicks Sporting Goods and they offer Stack-On safes, some of which are manufactured in China. This does not mean they are bad safes at all - in fact, the new line of Stack-On safes are quite nice - all but one fire rated and many under $1,000.00 There's a 24-gun fire rated safe, (marketed as Field and Stream), that regularly sells for under $600.00

I understand people's aversion to buying things made in China. I feel the same way and try to be conscious of it. I feel the same way about Russia and get a kick out of people who stomp their feet about China, but stock up on Wolf ammo... I also understand that there are times when you just can't avoid it. Everyone who wants to get rid of every single item they own made in China - please stack it up in your front yard - I'll be by with a truck to pick it up. However, Stack-On is an American company, with a gigantic facility in Illinois that employs - Americans. If you can't find what you are looking for, Stack-On may be the way to go.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

A good place to use as benchmark

I found mine at

http://www.safeandvaultstore.com/

and recommend Dominic as he was the most patient and
    informative to my questions and concerns about which
    safe would suit me and my modest budget.

Just my $0.02 worth.

Feedback Score

Gun Safe Educational Video

I found this video regarding the selection and construction of gun safes. The video is very informative and definitely food for thought regarding what kind of safe you are purchasing.

For anyone looking at purchasing a new safe for the first time or looking to upgrade there is some insightful information from a knowledgeable professional to consider.

Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltK-b...feature=fvwrel

Feedback Score
    I opted not to go with a "safe," but rather a locking steel gun locker. More pictures and my reasoning by clicking the link.

Last edited by lifebreath; 07-19-12 at 09:19.
    By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest. - Confucius

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Educate yourself on the differances between "safes" and RSCs (residential security containers) and as others have stated, avoid electronic locks. They cause more problems than they fix.
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    I have 2 Liberty safes, a Lincoln 50 and a Presidential 50. The Lincoln has an electric lock. Had it for years, and have never had an issue. Liberty makes a good safe.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jp0319 View Post
    After getting several new firearms this deployment I think it is time for me to invest in a gun safe. I need one which will accomidate 5-6 long guns (ARs / SHotguns) and 5-6 handguns plus ammo if possible.

I have no Idea how much something like this would cost or what company is good, I have a couple places local in the area which sell safes (Gander Mountain, and Jims) that I know of but I dont know what they sell. I am still deployed for another week or so and just trying to do some research ahead.

I would like to meet the above criteria and "hopefully" stay at or under $1000. I dont know if that is realistic but any help you can give would be appreciated.

JP
    Here's my write up on the topic if interested:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...ighlight=amsec
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast