Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Help me choose a home defense shotgun

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have a Mossberg 500 fitted with the Knoxx stock for HD. If I were to do it over again, I would go with the 870 Police because of the safety position.
    I have no particular brand loyalty to either Mossberg of Remington.
    Daniel

Never send a nail to do a screw's job.

Feedback Score
    37 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ogele View Post
    Man, there's something in your Mossberg that made me change my mind. I was going to go for an 870 because like what they've said, you can't go wrong with the classic. But there's something in your gun that clearly shows home defense.
    This comment perplexes me.

Are you saying that you have tossed away the merits of a chosen platform based off the looks of another?

Using this same logic, does this mean that you would keep the chamber empty, in order to pump the action, to make it sound like home defense?

OP, not trying to hijack your thread. Just trying to get into the mindset of others who are using it to inform their buying decision. As a point of note, Mossy/Remmy is sometimes as Futile as debating Ford/Chevy. I'd drive either as long as it serves its intended purpose and delivered me from point a to b.
    RmG

Tu ne cede malis

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Just to interject, I bought a friend a 590a1 SPX for Christmas last year. It's what they wanted. However, they seem a bit disenchanted with it, and I can't say the gun has impressed me, either.

It slicked up well enough after a few hundred rounds, but it has lots of QC issues.

Issue #1: The bayonet falls off when you shoot it. Not really an issue in terms of practical use, but it shouldn't happen. Points to quality issues.

Issue #2: The threads on the magazine-tube start 1/3" down from the end of the tube, which seems "swollen" and disassembling/reassembling it is a real PITA because you have to force the magazine cap over this, and then CORRECTLY engage what are very fine threads for that application.

Issue #3: It is very front heavy. Hold one before you buy. This may or may not matter to you.

Issue #4: Not really an "issue", but the fit/finish is just very "econo". It looks like the same sort of workmanship you will find on foreign 870 clones. Not what I expected for a $500 US made shotgun fielded by the USMC (My Benelli M1014 is totally different, as is my 870 Wingmaster. Quality through and through.).

In short, if I had it to do over again, I would have pushed harder for an 870P, but hey, I bought them what they wanted. So now, I am going to do my best to push YOU for an 870P.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ogele View Post
    Man, there's something in your Mossberg that made me change my mind.
    Are you prepared to go the NFA route? Otherwise, you can't have it.
    Daniel

Never send a nail to do a screw's job.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rockmyglock View Post
    This comment perplexes me.
    As a point of note, Mossy/Remmy is sometimes as Futile as debating Ford/Chevy. I'd drive either as long as it serves its intended purpose and delivered me from point a to b.
    Well said, rockmyglock! I agree wholeheartedly!
    www.king33training.com

Si vis pacem, para bellum

2/1 SFG(A)
    ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM / DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rockmyglock View Post
    Keep in mind there is going to be a lot of other movement going on during a gunfight (proviso -- I have no real-world experience in this department; however, I am fortunate enough to have been trained by those that do), recoil, reloading, pump cycling, moving to cover, et al. That light will be moving a lot, no matter where it is mounted.

Are you concerned about the light moving when it is on or off? The way I have been trained (by the aforementioned gunfighters), and continue to train, is using the light in a momentary capacity. Light on, shoot, move. Keeping a light on all the time tells a lot about: where you are, whether or not you are moving, which direction your muzzle is pointed, etc. And when that 120 lumens hits someone's eyes and then you turn it off, all they will see is spots that are left where their retinas used to be. Now sir, YOU have the upperhand.
    Excellent points! Weapon-mounted lights have both advantages/disadvantages. Just so long as you are fully aware of both and use them to your tactical advantage.

I would only add, as referred to in the Vickers link, that you use the light to momentarily spot and blind the potential target and determine if it is indeed a threat, as you continue to move so that your position is not revealed. Hostiles will only know your last position. Your light can be used to regain your tactical advantage.
    www.king33training.com

Si vis pacem, para bellum

2/1 SFG(A)
    ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM / DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by frogger View Post
    A shotgun is the one glaring hole in my current gun collection and I'd like to add a "tactical" type shotgun to the safe. This would be for home defense and also as heavy artillery in a TEOTWAWKI scenario. I've got it narrowed down to 2 models and I'd like your input.

First, I've decided on Mossberg. I think the Remington and Benelli shotguns are excellent too but I just prefer the location of the controls on the Mossberg. I've decided on a 590A1 just because I like the extra strength and durability of the model. I've also decided I want a Speed Feed stock to hold extra ammo (though I will probably add a Side Saddle too) and ghost ring sights just for the similarity to my AR. However, the one thing I can't decide on is the barrel length. Part of me thinks that as a home defense weapon, if I ever was forced to clear my house, the 18.5" barrel would be easier to handle and maneuver around corners. Part of me thinks the extra capacity of the 20" would be a big plus. At the moment I'm leaning toward the 18.5" because with the Speed Feed stock and Side Saddle, I'll have an extra 10 rounds on the gun to reload with, but reloading takes time and I'm not sure I should give up the capacity in the magazine tube. What do you guys think?

BTW, here are the 2 models I'm debating between...

http://www.mossberg.com/images/Mossb.../New/51518.jpg

http://www.mossberg.com/images/Mossb.../New/51668.jpg

...and here are the specs (51518 is the 18.5", 51668 is the 20")...

http://www.mossberg.com/products/def...&display=specs
    The 20" 590 is a great Shotgun I have had one since the mid-90s without any issues. I went with the standard parkerized with heatshield and speedfeed stock. But after not being able to get a conformable shooting possition with the speed stock I replaced it with the Choate Mark 5 plus also added the Mossberg rear ghost ring sight along with the MMC Trijicon Night front sight, TacStar Side saddle and GGG front sling plate and MI rear receiver endplate for use of the Blackhawk 3 position sling. With the 20 inch barrel you will normaly get 1 inch of spread with every 3 feet down range with Federal Tactical 00 Buck shot and slugs work great too.
    Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum.
    |SA Custom Shop 1911-A1 Loaded,(MEU SOC) Mil-Spec|Sig 1911 TacOps&1911 22LR|XDM9 5.25|Glock 22&19|HK USP 45 Comp & USC 45ACP|Ruger KP97, 3 10/22, Mini-30lTaurus PT92AFD & PT-140lColt King Cobra 4inchlBushmaster Magpul CAR-15, Spikes Tactical Lower/Colt 16” HBAR 7.62x39 Tactical, Spikes Tactical/Custom 24” Bull Barrel Sniperl Mossberg Custom 590A1, 500 Blackwater Breacher, 500 Persuader, 24” Slug Gunl
    US Navy Disabled Veteran, NRA Member, Conceal Weapon Permit Holder

Feedback Score
    25 (96%)
    I was debating the same thing earlier this year. I also wanted the 20" but they are next to impossible to find. I ended up with an 18.5" with the ghost rings and added a +2 extension to give me a total of 7+1. Cost me a little more in the long run but now I have the best of both worlds in capacity and maneuverability .

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234