Thread: My New, Used 870 question

Feedback Score

My New, Used 870 question

I recently picked up an 870 for $100 and am not sure what model shotgun it is. It looks like it could be the Model 870 Express Super Magnum Synthetic that is on Remingtons web site. The barrel says 12GA, 2 3/4, 3. 3 1/2 only with super mag. receiver but the receiver only says Remington 870. Is this the proper receiver?

I have never owned a shotgun and bought it for 3 gun matches so I will be doing a lot a shooting with this 870 but am kind of lost when it comes to chokes and types of barrels. I have some other questions about barrels.
    1. Is there an advantage to having a ribbed barrel?
    2. Is there a benefit to having a rifled barrel vs a smooth bore.
    3. Is there any good sources for wood forarms, I can't seem to find any.
    4. What type of choke if any should I use for 3 gun that will be ok with slugs?

I will be adding XS sights for the rear and a trigicon for the front and a MESA rail w/a six shell side saddle. Or a rear sight with integrated rail like something on the 870 express tactical and a side saddle separate.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

stock and forearm

I have a set of wood fore arm and stock from my 870 express magnum if your interested....
    Last edited by M1AG30; 03-08-12 at 18:45.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by M1AG30 View Post
    I have a set of wood fore arm and stock from my 870 express magnum if your interested....
    Thanks But I just got a set in the mail today.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog60 View Post
    I recently picked up an 870 for $100 and am not sure what model shotgun it is. It looks like it could be the Model 870 Express Super Magnum Synthetic that is on Remingtons web site. The barrel says 12GA, 2 3/4, 3. 3 1/2 only with super mag. receiver but the receiver only says Remington 870. Is this the proper receiver?

I have never owned a shotgun and bought it for 3 gun matches so I will be doing a lot a shooting with this 870 but am kind of lost when it comes to chokes and types of barrels. I have some other questions about barrels.

I will be adding XS sights for the rear and a trigicon for the front and a MESA rail w/a six shell side saddle. Or a rear sight with integrated rail like something on the 870 express tactical and a side saddle separate.
    Wow over 200 views and not one answer to help but only one answer to sell me something. Thanks all. I did get answers to my questions but from joining and posting on another forum. Only took a few hours.

Since no one answered, may be no one knows, so I will answer my own questions and let everyone know what I found out.
    1. advantage some say with faster target pick up.
    2. Riffled is better for a slug gun.
    3. ebay, gunbroker, message boards.
    4. I received good suggestions but emailed Carlsons and got a good recommendation from them. I ended up buying 4 chokes from them.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    glad you got your answers i dint know them or would have comented.... i run a 20" smooth bore for my slug and 00 buck barrel..... hope your set up works for you......
    Last edited by M1AG30; 03-08-12 at 19:47.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog60 View Post

If it does not say magnum or super magnum you can only shoot 2 3/4" shells. Magnum = 2 3/4" or 3" super = 2 3/4, 3 or 3.5".

Call Remington with your serial number to be sure. Sounds like a replacement bbl on your gun. Awesome price. I would have offered to sell you my express wood too. You said you were looking for some. Make sure you have the short fore end if you try to use the 6 rounds side saddle. Or you can cut the express wood to fit. The police fore end will work.
    "Real men have always needed to know what time it is so they are at the airfield on time, pumping rounds into savages at the right time, etc. Being able to see such in the dark while light weights were comfy in bed without using a light required luminous material." -Originally Posted by ramairthree

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by usmcvet View Post
    If it does not say magnum or super magnum you can only shoot 2 3/4" shells. Magnum = 2 3/4" or 3" super = 2 3/4, 3 or 3.5".

Call Remington with your serial number to be sure. Sounds like a replacement bbl on your gun. Awesome price. I would have offered to sell you my express wood too. You said you were looking for some. Make sure you have the short fore end if you try to use the 6 rounds side saddle. Or you can cut the express wood to fit. The police fore end will work.
    Thanks. I did get a short police forend I think it is made of cheery but the stock is something else. Both are old and very used but the forend held up nice. Got both for $35.00 plus tax. I will sand and refinish both unless I can get something nicer for the same price or close. I did call Remington and oddly enough the sn# indicates it is a 2010 receiver and I was told it can shoot magnums. I will call again to verify this with hopefully someone else. The sn# on the barrel is unreadable. Thanks.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Bulldog

Sounds like $100 was a great buy. I would listen to Remington. The clearly know more than me about their guns. I've been called a whimp before but I have no desire to shoot 3.5"s 3" turkey rounds bring tears to my eyes. I actually bruise my cheek where my right thumb rests under my cheek. It is nice you have the option of running any length shell.
    "Real men have always needed to know what time it is so they are at the airfield on time, pumping rounds into savages at the right time, etc. Being able to see such in the dark while light weights were comfy in bed without using a light required luminous material." -Originally Posted by ramairthree

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by usmcvet View Post
    Bulldog

Sounds like $100 was a great buy. I would listen to Remington. The clearly know more than me about their guns. I've been called a whimp before but I have no desire to shoot 3.5"s 3" turkey rounds bring tears to my eyes. I actually bruise my cheek where my right thumb rests under my cheek. It is nice you have the option of running any length shell.
    I have been called a wimp many times and most times I am! I just wanted to know what I had and what it was capable of shooting. I will most likely shoot 2 3/4 and 1 oz slugs. Thanks for your input. Its mush appreciated.