Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Omega rail?

Feedback Score

Omega rail?

I've read that these are a pretty solid mounting rail, in fact some of the tests done were impressive.

Yet the general concensous is not to mount an optic to a rail, yet we mount BUIS's with no issues. How would an Aimpoint fair mounted to an Omega rail or other FF rail?

I have an A2 carbine that I really want to keep close to stock. ( I have other flat tops) I've been thinking about the Omega for mounting a VG and light and now thinking the Aimpoint.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    A BUIS is just for EMERGENCY USE, thus any flex or play is inconsequential.

But a PRIMARY SIGHT should be "ideally" on the receiver due to its direct and solid connection to the barrel. I have seen primary sights on a rail and for most self-defense purposes, at close range, I'm sure that would work just fine...

Rmpl
    "Our destruction... will be from another quarter. From the inattention of the people to the concerns of their government, from their carelessness and negligence..."
    ...Daniel Webster, June 1, 1837

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Ideally you shouldn't mount an optic out on the rail. The Omega is a very solid 2pc FF rail. When I installed the rail on my wifes SBR I tested it's rigidity and couldn't feel any movement at all, but I still mounted her Aimpoint on the receiver. Out on the rail is a little faster for up close but it the rail moves at all the zero of the optic will wander. I currently run my T1 out on the rail on my RASII because I don't want it behind the hump. This is only for the meantime until I get my 9" DD Lite Rail, then it'll go back onto the receiver. I'll be 'shaving' my FSB into a lo-pro gas block and it'll mount under the 9" rail.

My current LMT with T1 on the rail.

My LMT will soon look like this when I get a 9" Lite Rail (I assembled this one for a friend). I'm going to run a X200 or X300 on it and the LMT front sight the same as this set up.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    i have my aimpont sort of straddling the DD Omega. the mount's engagement surfaces are on the the last T spots on the receiver. the forward edge of the mount is on the "hump" part of the rail, but its not really secured to it. it hasn't effected my zero.

Feedback Score
    gotm4, I noticed you (and others) used to run an eo-tech out on the rail, did you have problems or just switch to avoid them?

I ordered the Omega today but will probably leave the Aimpoint on another gun.

Feedback Score
    The DD Omega rail is awesome. Its got a thinner profile, which is the main reason I bought it.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I've got my Omega on now and it's great. I thought it would be too tall but it's not. The KAC panels seem to fit nicely.

It's solid!

Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball...

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TWR View Post
    gotm4, I noticed you (and others) used to run an eo-tech out on the rail, did you have problems or just switch to avoid them?

I ordered the Omega today but will probably leave the Aimpoint on another gun.
    My Aimpoint T1 is only there because it would be too tall if mounted on the RAS2 hump. And too far back if I mounted in behind the hump. When I replace the rail with a DD 9.0 Lite Rail the Aimpoint will go back onto the receiver. Further out is a little faster.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gotm4 View Post
    My Aimpoint T1 is only there because it would be too tall if mounted on the RAS2 hump. And too far back if I mounted in behind the hump. When I replace the rail with a DD 9.0 Lite Rail the Aimpoint will go back onto the receiver. Further out is a little faster.
    I understood that but I was asking why you switched as on page 2 of the pic thread you have 2 different guns set up with eo-techs on the rail. Wondering if you actually had problems or just trying to avoid them.

Feedback Score
    Is the rail slot with the screw in the front still usable as a mounting point?
    "So have your buddy get a box of stray cats and try to get a good sight picture while he is throwing the cats at you... naked." - KLD

Get yours news at Presscheck.org!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast