Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: June 16th Training Day

Feedback Score

June 16th Training Day

Thanks to everyone who made it to the Feb 25th shoot. Now it is time to start planning the next shoot. We will have the 200 yard range from 0900-2100 on June 16th. Get your ideas for drills you would like to practice.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Count me in for this one!

Feedback Score
    Looking forward to it.

I would like to do more cover drills. Specifically, engaging and moving to cover, reloading while using cover and shooting from cover.

Some more work on transitioning to pistol would be welcome too. Seems there's always a couple of people getting yelled at to transition while they're standing there in the open trying to reload in the middle of a drill.

I'll think of some more stuffs later.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Fleishwolf!
    "After extensive research, I picked this rifle because it came with bullets"

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by PieceKeeper View Post
    Some more work on transitioning to pistol would be welcome too.
    I have a drill for that. Part of the problem with training for a transition is that if we all stood on a line with empty rifles and practiced a transition, we would all do a great job. The challenge is training your brain to make the switch when you are surprised by a non-working rifle. So, we need a drill that occupies your brain with other tasks so you aren't thinking about it, but creates an automatic response. I think I've come up with a drill that will do that. We'll see.....

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Where are your shoots? I assume west side but wondering if close enough for Inland NW'ers like me. Sorry if it's obvious... I haven't cruised this thread category much to know.

Feedback Score
    To the extent it is safe and permissible under the range rules, it would be great if we could incorporate steel targets into the day as much as possible.

I know we should ideally be "reading our sights," to confirm hits, but after the targets have been heavily used I find this to be nearly impossible. I'll confess to feeling as if I am "ballparking" rounds down range at times, which frankly may not be far from the truth. The immediate feedback of steel targets would, in my opinion, allow us to evaluate accuracy much more consistently.

rackham1:
    GitmoSmoke hosts us at the Central Whidbey Sportsman Association in Coupevile, WA (Whidbey Island).

Feedback Score
    Sorry guys, I'm out. Got a formal training class that day. Catch you all at the next one.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I think a good way to simulate the rifle failing at random would be to partner up and have others load mags for each other. putting a spent casing in the mag is always a good way to throw a wrench is the machine!

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Approx round count?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast