Page 2 of 95 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: EDC Light and Knife photo thread

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

my off duty set up:
    FS MP9
    SF x300
    Holster and mag pouch are Secret City Weaponers (obviously one of the last ones maybe)
    Benchmade triage

On duty I carry two lights on my belt a sf g2x on the front in a sf v70 holster and an issued streamlight stinger on the rear. Soon I will be carrying an x300 on my duty MP40 just have to wait and take a class which is stupid but alas.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Surefire LX2 and one of a handful of knives. Strider SNG CC, Chris Reeve Sebenza, Benchmade 710 (current one is D2 with partial serrations, though I don't care for serrations) or Rat Cutlery/ESEE Izula. Great little knife. In my car I keep a Strider VB-GG. Also, carried an Emerson CQC-7 for a while. I have a handful of other knives, but these are the ones I carry or carried.

Of them all, I prefer the Chris Reeve (though I should have bought the full size and not the small) and will likely pick up the Umnumzaan soon. They're both great slicers and work great for everyday tasks. I like the Benchmade as well for the same reasons and I won't be upset.. as much) over loosing it. The Strider SNG is also an awesome knife, but I'll likely start carrying a DB or SA when I need a heavier use concealable knife.

As much as I like the Emerson knives, there's something lacking about the liner lock in my opinion. Also, I'm not 100% sold on the Wave feature though I could see the benefit if you spent a lot of time training with it and was the only type you carried. I don't know, I felt it needed a framelock conversion and would prefer s30v to 154.

I carry the LX2 or E2B as my daily light, though I prefer the LX2 due to it's size and texture.

Nighthawk was replaced with a Glock 17 a while back. Pic is from an EDC thread a while back.

Strider SNG-CC, I NEED a new one of these or a DB or SA soon. I gave my favorite one to a friend when he went to Iraq.

Strider SMF-CC but this was too large and I went to the SNG after it was stolen.

Sebenza

Izula

In the bag/car

Last edited by jonconsiglio; 03-03-12 at 10:04. Reason: double pic
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~ Paul Howe

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by militarymoron View Post
    Have at it, fellas. Let us know why you chose what you did, and how it's working out for you.
    Please don't quote the entire post with photos when asking questions or commenting.
    Where's your's?
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~ Paul Howe

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jonconsiglio View Post

Of them all, I prefer the Chris Reeve (though I should have bought the full size and not the small) and will likely pick up the Umnumzaan soon. They're both great slicers and work great for everyday tasks. I like the Benchmade as well for the same reasons and I won't be upset.. as much) over loosing it. The Strider SNG is also an awesome knife, but I'll likely start carrying a DB or SA when I need a heavier use concealable knife.

Jon, if you do not mind me asking, why are you thinking about switching from the small Sebbie to the large? Is it the size of your hands or the type of work you want the knife to do?

I'm seriously thinking about picking up a small Classic or 21 in left-hand configuration. I've carried a knife on the left-hand side for weapon retention purposes for so long, it feels weird to carry on the right.

Just curious if there was something that you did not like about the small model, other than it's size. Given the $400 price, I'm gathering data before spending the dough.

Thanks for the excellent photos, and stay safe.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    Jon, if you do not mind me asking, why are you thinking about switching from the small Sebbie to the large? Is it the size of your hands or the type of work you want the knife to do?

I'm seriously thinking about picking up a small Classic or 21 in left-hand configuration. I've carried a knife on the left-hand side for weapon retention purposes for so long, it feels weird to carry on the right.

Just curious if there was something that you did not like about the small model, other than it's size. Given the $400 price, I'm gathering data before spending the dough.

Thanks for the excellent photos, and stay safe.
    There's nothing wrong with the smaller model and it works great for normal daily stuff, but I just prefer a longer, thicker blade, especially when it's a hollow grind.

Honestly, I'd probably opt for the Umnumzaan over a Sebenza as it's more of a cross between a Strider and a Sebenza, in a way. I'm sure the small Sebenza is very solid, but I always limited the amount I'd use it, but with something like my SNG, I'd pry on things if I needed to. I wouldn't hesitate to do that with the Umnumzaan while it's still a very capable slicer.

Keep an eye out on the steels of the new ones as well. This is just my opinion, but I'd try to find one in S30v over the newer S35vn steel. My Chris Reeve Green Beret is S35vn and the edge doesn't compare to S30v, at least for my uses, others may disagree.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Thanks for the information, I appreciate you taking the time to reply. I have heard similiar concerns from other people about the S35VN. I'm also a pretty big fan of the CPM-S30V. I have one of the old original full-size Spyderco Manix folders, which I really like with S30V. I know it's not very scientific, but the edge feels "toothier" to me. It slides into the cut and bites its way through.

I'm leaning towards the smaller blades, as I work in an office that sort of frowns on anything that could be considered a weapon. So in my case, concealed means really concealed. We've also gone through a regime change as well, and I'm interested in a low profile right now.

That Umnumzaan looks quite interesting. Very sturdy, and I like the engraved handles as well. The unobtrusive glass breaker is a plus.

Thanks for your time, and stay safe.
    Last edited by SeriousStudent; 03-03-12 at 22:59. Reason: bad spellur

Feedback Score
    49 (100%)
    Serious student,

if you want a nice S30v folder for office carry check out the Strider SJ75s.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jonconsiglio View Post
    Where's your's?
    ZT0360.SKD and a Sunwayman V10R XML. the ZT0360.SKD is a collaboration between ZT and SKD tactical, and i've found it to be my perfect EDC-sized knife - light, not too large. i have quite a few knives, and keep going back to this one for EDC.

the V10R XML is small and light weight, and uses a single CR123 or 16340 rechargeable battery, and can go from 1 lumen to 460 lumens (with the 16340 battery). it's an awesome little light with infinite variable output control using the ring behind the bezel.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by militarymoron View Post
    ZT0360.SKD and a Sunwayman V10R XML. the ZT0360.SKD is a collaboration between ZT and SKD tactical, and i've found it to be my perfect EDC-sized knife - light, not too large. i have quite a few knives, and keep going back to this one for EDC.

the V10R XML is small and light weight, and uses a single CR123 or 16340 rechargeable battery, and can go from 1 lumen to 460 lumens (with the 16340 battery). it's an awesome little light with infinite variable output control using the ring behind the bezel.
    A friend of mine carries one of the Zero Tolerances and I really like the way they feel. I've never heard of that light before. 460 out of that little thing is wild.

Feedback Score
    the whole shebang

Page 2 of 95 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast