Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lets Talk Bows!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

Lets Talk Bows!

First off I'll say that I pretty much know nothing about bows. I know a few of the types of bows out there, but not much else. At least not enough to be dangerous. I was going to do some of my own research, but I figured I would start here instead of unknowingly coming across "TOS version for archery" forum . I figure that if guys here know the difference in quality between firearms, then they would about bows if it interests them.

What I am looking for is a bow that is simple in design, simple to learn and shoot well, easy to maintain, and hopefully won't put too big a dent in my checkbook. I dunno, maybe I'm asking for too much, but like I said, I don't know what I don't know about bows.

This is something that I would use to hunt with primarily. And as you guessed, I put it in this forum due to this being something I would like to add to any "preps" that I may or may not have . There is something to be said about the ability to take game silently.

So have at it fellas, teach me!

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    If this is strictly a "society is intact I can get odds and ends" bow, a Bear Archery and Mission bows are hard to beat for the price. The absolute best being Mathews, Hoyt, PSE and others. Before my shoulder injury I was using an Archery Research AR31 (now defunct) with good results.

You will find that Archers maybe as vicious or more so about their gear than gun owners.

I would think that a true survival bow would be one that could shoot handmade arrows without turning them into splinters. A good Bear or Hoyt recurve (traditional) would suit this purpose.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    One more thing, bows (compounds) are extremely user sensitive. They have to "fit" you, meaning draw length, draw weight, peep sight placement, etc.

Do not buy a used bow that "feels" right, go to a Pro shop and get fitted, shoot several different examples they have on hand.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ryan View Post
    One more thing, bows (compounds) are extremely user sensitive. They have to "fit" you, meaning draw length, draw weight, peep sight placement, etc.

Do not buy a used bow that "feels" right, go to a Pro shop and get fitted, shoot several different examples they have on hand.
    Ryans right on the money here. I can't stress it enough. The best bang for the buck out there is the new offering from bowtech. My buddy just picked up a complete setup for around $675.

On another note when I bought my new bow (Martin exile) I thought the same thing you have. The pros of course is that's its quiet and fairly cheap to operate. The downside is that its big and goofy to carry around if it were a shtf situation. It doesn't seem so but its awkward. Takes up alot of room considering. Them there's the problem of where I find arrows or broadheads if I lose them and can't go to a store. How do I restring it if it would need down the road.

I'm not trying to detest you from getting one because honestly I absolutely love mine. I shoot it as much as my ar. One of the most rewarding things to take an animal with and just plain try to master. Just wouldn't be on my list to grab when the world is ending unless I absolutely know it won't be a burden.
    "I know enough about a lot but enough to get me in trouble none the less." Me

Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post

Believe me, I know about not doing the "popular thing." Be a gear and gun dealer, go onto a tactical gun forum and tell folks to STOP buying crap they don't need.

C4

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ryan View Post
    If this is strictly a "society is intact I can get odds and ends" bow, a Bear Archery and Mission bows are hard to beat for the price. The absolute best being Mathews, Hoyt, PSE and others. Before my shoulder injury I was using an Archery Research AR31 (now defunct) with good results.

You will find that Archers maybe as vicious or more so about their gear than gun owners.

I would think that a true survival bow would be one that could shoot handmade arrows without turning them into splinters. A good Bear or Hoyt recurve (traditional) would suit this purpose.
    Op sorry if we did get out of whack. I will second this for you tho. This is pretty sound advice if that's a route your interested in. recurve bows have been used to kill things for centuries. At the archery range I go to I've seen guys be pretty deadly with them. Granted that's target shooting and I haven't witnessed any game taken with one but its completely plausible. They master them to the point where they are not even holding then back. Because of the smoothness of the draw on a recurve they can keep the sight on target and let go when their draw is complete. I'll post a video of an impressive lady for a reference to what I mean. A recurve will save you some wait as well and because they have a lower velocity a handmade arrow isn't out of the question.
    Last edited by Ghost__1; 02-29-12 at 16:08.

Believe me, I know about not doing the "popular thing." Be a gear and gun dealer, go onto a tactical gun forum and tell folks to STOP buying crap they don't need.

C4

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost__1 View Post
    Op sorry if we did get out of whack. I will second this for you tho. This is pretty sound advice if that's a route your interested in. recurve bows have been used to kill things for centuries. At the archery range I go to I've seen guys be pretty deadly with them. Granted that's target shooting and I haven't witnessed any game taken with one but its completely plausible. They master them to the point where they are not even holding then back. Because of the smoothness of the draw on a recurve they can keep the sight on target and let go when their draw is complete. I'll post a video of an impressive lady for a reference to what I mean. A recurve will save you some wait as well and because they have a lower velocity a handmade arrow isn't out of the question.
    Kind of weird quoting myself but here the link to that video as promised.
    http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_u...?v=kjuwL3kiXOw

C4

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    I'm only 1/4 step ahead of you, but do own a bow, have killed animals with a bow, and have shot 3-D archery courses with a bow.

I'm not sure if you need to spend a lot to fill the niche/need of a bow.

I filled all the needs of a bow by spending about $500 on a PSE, arrows, broadheads, target points, a fitting/tuning, a quiver and some string "silencers".

A friend of mine has a top of the line Mathews, and I'll be damned if I can find a reason to jump up to that level for my very, very basic needs. This coming from a guy who tries to own the best, in most things.

If this means I am DPMS'ing it with a PSE, I'd like to know to stay in my lane.
    "I'm not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The... tactleneck! - Sterling Archer"
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important
    than one's fear. The timid presume it is lack of fear that allows the brave to act when the timid do not."

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    I bought mine more than 10 years ago, but this would be about the equivalent to what I got at the time:

http://www.pse-archery.com/products/...26.54387.0.0.0
    "I'm not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The... tactleneck! - Sterling Archer"
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important
    than one's fear. The timid presume it is lack of fear that allows the brave to act when the timid do not."

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVAN View Post
    I bought mine more than 10 years ago, but this would be about the equivalent to what I got at the time:

http://www.pse-archery.com/products/...26.54387.0.0.0
    Considering that thing slings arrows @ 300+ fps its a certified deer killer, remember the Native Americans did it with 100-150 fps .

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    Just wanted to jump in and say that we're headed on the right track here...I will always primarily use a firearm for defensive or hunting applications (read: stabilized society), but it would be nice to have the option of a bow (read: un-stabilized society), for WAY more than just a couple reasons.

Like I said, I don't know much about bows, but to me, my role would need to be filled by something that is very simple (design and use) and easy to maintain.

IE: If a recurve bow is equivalent to the "KISS" method for AR's, but moving up to a compound bow is equivalent to slapping on an Aimpoint, then I may be leaning more towards the "KISS" method. Now, if the difference in shootability/usability between the two options is much greater than the difference between "KISS" method and the "Aimpoint" method, then I may want to rethink going the recurve route....hope that makes sense.

Also, SHIVAN, did you end up going the recurve route? Sounds like you might have...oh, and I don't want to DPMS it either

Edit, saw your next post. Thanks SHIVAN.
    Last edited by Ironman8; 02-29-12 at 14:53.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast