Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lets Talk Bows!

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

Lets Talk Bows!

First off I'll say that I pretty much know nothing about bows. I know a few of the types of bows out there, but not much else. At least not enough to be dangerous. I was going to do some of my own research, but I figured I would start here instead of unknowingly coming across "TOS version for archery" forum . I figure that if guys here know the difference in quality between firearms, then they would about bows if it interests them.

What I am looking for is a bow that is simple in design, simple to learn and shoot well, easy to maintain, and hopefully won't put too big a dent in my checkbook. I dunno, maybe I'm asking for too much, but like I said, I don't know what I don't know about bows.

This is something that I would use to hunt with primarily. And as you guessed, I put it in this forum due to this being something I would like to add to any "preps" that I may or may not have . There is something to be said about the ability to take game silently.

So have at it fellas, teach me!

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    If this is strictly a "society is intact I can get odds and ends" bow, a Bear Archery and Mission bows are hard to beat for the price. The absolute best being Mathews, Hoyt, PSE and others. Before my shoulder injury I was using an Archery Research AR31 (now defunct) with good results.

You will find that Archers maybe as vicious or more so about their gear than gun owners.

I would think that a true survival bow would be one that could shoot handmade arrows without turning them into splinters. A good Bear or Hoyt recurve (traditional) would suit this purpose.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    I'm only 1/4 step ahead of you, but do own a bow, have killed animals with a bow, and have shot 3-D archery courses with a bow.

I'm not sure if you need to spend a lot to fill the niche/need of a bow.

I filled all the needs of a bow by spending about $500 on a PSE, arrows, broadheads, target points, a fitting/tuning, a quiver and some string "silencers".

A friend of mine has a top of the line Mathews, and I'll be damned if I can find a reason to jump up to that level for my very, very basic needs. This coming from a guy who tries to own the best, in most things.

If this means I am DPMS'ing it with a PSE, I'd like to know to stay in my lane.
    "I'm not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The... tactleneck! - Sterling Archer"
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important
    than one's fear. The timid presume it is lack of fear that allows the brave to act when the timid do not."

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    One more thing, bows (compounds) are extremely user sensitive. They have to "fit" you, meaning draw length, draw weight, peep sight placement, etc.

Do not buy a used bow that "feels" right, go to a Pro shop and get fitted, shoot several different examples they have on hand.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    I bought mine more than 10 years ago, but this would be about the equivalent to what I got at the time:

http://www.pse-archery.com/products/...26.54387.0.0.0
    "I'm not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The... tactleneck! - Sterling Archer"
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important
    than one's fear. The timid presume it is lack of fear that allows the brave to act when the timid do not."

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVAN View Post
    I bought mine more than 10 years ago, but this would be about the equivalent to what I got at the time:

http://www.pse-archery.com/products/...26.54387.0.0.0
    Considering that thing slings arrows @ 300+ fps its a certified deer killer, remember the Native Americans did it with 100-150 fps .

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    You probably want either a compound bow or a crossbow. I used to have a crossbow and now have a compound bow. So much fun. I like the compound bow more. It's sooo different from a rifle. There's a lot more to it.

A crossbow is pretty much what it looks like. You pull the string back to cock it, load the arrow, point, and pull the trigger.

A compound bow is a little more complicated. You have to pull it back, hold (which just about all bows have a "let off point," not sure what its really called, but it reduces weight so you can hold it back easier), look through the peep sight line up the pin you need to use, and release. All the while not shaking from holding the string back too long.

-I have a Diamond Outlaw. Cost like $499. Then when you add the skb case, arrows, field points, broad heads, a release, speed bag, etc. the cost goes up pretty damn quickly. I got lucky, I needed a bow, "lost" my crossbow and in a pinch, went to gander mtn. (what was close) and the guy there actually seemed to know his shit and helped me a lot. He let me test a bear and the diamond which were tuned to the same pull weight and the diamond felt faster and better overall. And the bear was $100 more. Hope this helps some.

And i know there are guys that know far more than I so don't take everything I say as absolute perfect info. Thing this has been my experience.

ETA: NEVER DRY FIRE A BOW! It can break the limbs which will void the warranty and you might as well throw it in the trash.
    Last edited by loganp0916; 02-29-12 at 14:51.
    “WE THE PEOPLE are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

~ Abraham Lincoln

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    Just wanted to jump in and say that we're headed on the right track here...I will always primarily use a firearm for defensive or hunting applications (read: stabilized society), but it would be nice to have the option of a bow (read: un-stabilized society), for WAY more than just a couple reasons.

Like I said, I don't know much about bows, but to me, my role would need to be filled by something that is very simple (design and use) and easy to maintain.

IE: If a recurve bow is equivalent to the "KISS" method for AR's, but moving up to a compound bow is equivalent to slapping on an Aimpoint, then I may be leaning more towards the "KISS" method. Now, if the difference in shootability/usability between the two options is much greater than the difference between "KISS" method and the "Aimpoint" method, then I may want to rethink going the recurve route....hope that makes sense.

Also, SHIVAN, did you end up going the recurve route? Sounds like you might have...oh, and I don't want to DPMS it either

Edit, saw your next post. Thanks SHIVAN.
    Last edited by Ironman8; 02-29-12 at 14:53.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Recurve doesn't have pulleys, and it means you are basically holding the full draw weight or damn near the full draw weight until you release the string.

I went compound and aluminum arrows. I wanted durability, and at the time carbon arrows were still kind of fragile. Or at least not as durable as aluminum, that may have changed.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I have carbon arrows. They work well.

When you first buy a bow, get cheap arrows. They have arrows from $30 to like $80 and above for 6 arrows. It sucks shooting at targets in your back yard on the edge of the woods, ****ing up, shooting a little high, and losing a damn expensive arrow, or a few of them
    Last edited by loganp0916; 02-29-12 at 15:08.
    “WE THE PEOPLE are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

~ Abraham Lincoln

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast