Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Lets Talk Bows!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ryan View Post
    One more thing, bows (compounds) are extremely user sensitive. They have to "fit" you, meaning draw length, draw weight, peep sight placement, etc.

Do not buy a used bow that "feels" right, go to a Pro shop and get fitted, shoot several different examples they have on hand.
    Ryans right on the money here. I can't stress it enough. The best bang for the buck out there is the new offering from bowtech. My buddy just picked up a complete setup for around $675.

On another note when I bought my new bow (Martin exile) I thought the same thing you have. The pros of course is that's its quiet and fairly cheap to operate. The downside is that its big and goofy to carry around if it were a shtf situation. It doesn't seem so but its awkward. Takes up alot of room considering. Them there's the problem of where I find arrows or broadheads if I lose them and can't go to a store. How do I restring it if it would need down the road.

I'm not trying to detest you from getting one because honestly I absolutely love mine. I shoot it as much as my ar. One of the most rewarding things to take an animal with and just plain try to master. Just wouldn't be on my list to grab when the world is ending unless I absolutely know it won't be a burden.
    "I know enough about a lot but enough to get me in trouble none the less." Me

Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post

Believe me, I know about not doing the "popular thing." Be a gear and gun dealer, go onto a tactical gun forum and tell folks to STOP buying crap they don't need.

C4

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost__1 View Post
    Ryans right on the money here. I can't stress it enough. The best bang for the buck out there is the new offering from bowtech. My buddy just picked up a complete setup for around $675.

On another note when I bought my new bow (Martin exile) I thought the same thing you have. The pros of course is that's its quiet and fairly cheap to operate. The downside is that its big and goofy to carry around if it were a shtf situation. It doesn't seem so but its awkward. Takes up alot of room considering. Them there's the problem of where I find arrows or broadheads if I lose them and can't go to a store. How do I restring it if it would need down the road.

I'm not trying to detest you from getting one because honestly I absolutely love mine. I shoot it as much as my ar. One of the most rewarding things to take an animal with and just plain try to master. Just wouldn't be on my list to grab when the world is ending unless I absolutely know it won't be a burden.
    +1

The only way I would really take my bow in shtf would be if I had a vehicle and plenty of room for it. And that is only because it would be nice for hunting because of the quiet factor.
    “WE THE PEOPLE are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

~ Abraham Lincoln

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by loganp0916 View Post
    +1

The only way I would really take my bow in shtf would be if I had a vehicle and plenty of room for it. And that is only because it would be nice for hunting because of the quiet factor.
    Or unable to own firearms (hey I wanna believe I would fight it out with the feds to keep my guns too, probly not gonna happen tho).

Snap shooting, traditionals do it compounds dont.

Feedback Score
    Or unable to own firearms (hey I wanna believe I would fight it out with the feds to keep my guns too, probly not gonna happen tho).

Snap shooting, traditionals do it compounds dont.
    By all means. If its the only and best weapon I can manage i'm gonna use the shit out of it. If I can choose my ar tho. Its a no brainer.

Believe me, I know about not doing the "popular thing." Be a gear and gun dealer, go onto a tactical gun forum and tell folks to STOP buying crap they don't need.

C4

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    By all means. If its the only and best weapon I can manage i'm gonna use the shit out of it. If I can choose my ar tho. Its a no brainer.
    Yes sir, sorry for derail OP.

Get carbon arrows no matter what you get, bend a carbon arrow then bend an aluminum arrow...

Feedback Score
    If this is strictly a "society is intact I can get odds and ends" bow, a Bear Archery and Mission bows are hard to beat for the price. The absolute best being Mathews, Hoyt, PSE and others. Before my shoulder injury I was using an Archery Research AR31 (now defunct) with good results.

You will find that Archers maybe as vicious or more so about their gear than gun owners.

I would think that a true survival bow would be one that could shoot handmade arrows without turning them into splinters. A good Bear or Hoyt recurve (traditional) would suit this purpose.
    Op sorry if we did get out of whack. I will second this for you tho. This is pretty sound advice if that's a route your interested in. recurve bows have been used to kill things for centuries. At the archery range I go to I've seen guys be pretty deadly with them. Granted that's target shooting and I haven't witnessed any game taken with one but its completely plausible. They master them to the point where they are not even holding then back. Because of the smoothness of the draw on a recurve they can keep the sight on target and let go when their draw is complete. I'll post a video of an impressive lady for a reference to what I mean. A recurve will save you some wait as well and because they have a lower velocity a handmade arrow isn't out of the question.
    Last edited by Ghost__1; 02-29-12 at 16:08.

C4

Feedback Score
    Op sorry if we did get out of whack. I will second this for you tho. This is pretty sound advice if that's a route your interested in. recurve bows have been used to kill things for centuries. At the archery range I go to I've seen guys be pretty deadly with them. Granted that's target shooting and I haven't witnessed any game taken with one but its completely plausible. They master them to the point where they are not even holding then back. Because of the smoothness of the draw on a recurve they can keep the sight on target and let go when their draw is complete. I'll post a video of an impressive lady for a reference to what I mean. A recurve will save you some wait as well and because they have a lower velocity a handmade arrow isn't out of the question.
    Kind of weird quoting myself but here the link to that video as promised.
    http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_u...?v=kjuwL3kiXOw

C4

Border Rat that returned to Indian Territory.
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVAN View Post
    Recurve doesn't have pulleys, and it means you are basically holding the full draw weight or damn near the full draw weight until you release the string.

I went compound and aluminum arrows. I wanted durability, and at the time carbon arrows were still kind of fragile. Or at least not as durable as aluminum, that may have changed.
    True as far as the pulleys. However, on a compound you have to pull full lenght to make a shot. On a recurve you can short pull for a quick shot in the brush. Most bow hunters end up trying to stalk deer as well, and if they bust up a deer in the brush making a quick shot is key.
    As far as quality look up Black Swan archery. They make some very fine recurves. The type your kids will be fighting over when you pass or are no longer able to bow hunt.

Carbon arrows these days are well worth the money, and not as brittle as they used to be.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    Thanks for the reply guys, and no worries on the short thread drift. Just know that there is no question as to what I would pick if I had an AR and a bow laying in front of me lol...this is something I am looking into for fun/hunting right now and something that can fill a particular "niche" if the future demands it...

There's alot to consider, but after a little more research, there are alot of things that I like about the recurve that sounds like it might be the right choice. I realize a compound might be faster, but about the only thing I can find as a "con" on the recurve is the "OAL" of the bow...I would prefer a more comopact package...

How about the accuracy/shootability of recurve vs. compound? Can anyone shed some light on that?

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ironman8 View Post
    Thanks for the reply guys, and no worries on the short thread drift. Just know that there is no question as to what I would pick if I had an AR and a bow laying in front of me lol...this is something I am looking into for fun/hunting right now and something that can fill a particular "niche" if the future demands it...

There's alot to consider, but after a little more research, there are alot of things that I like about the recurve that sounds like it might be the right choice. I realize a compound might be faster, but about the only thing I can find as a "con" on the recurve is the "OAL" of the bow...I would prefer a more comopact package...

How about the accuracy/shootability of recurve vs. compound? Can anyone shed some light on that?
    Traditional takes ALOT more practice, any body can shoot a properly tuned compound.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast