Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Lets Talk Bows!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ironman8 View Post
    Thanks for the reply guys, and no worries on the short thread drift. Just know that there is no question as to what I would pick if I had an AR and a bow laying in front of me lol...this is something I am looking into for fun/hunting right now and something that can fill a particular "niche" if the future demands it...

There's alot to consider, but after a little more research, there are alot of things that I like about the recurve that sounds like it might be the right choice. I realize a compound might be faster, but about the only thing I can find as a "con" on the recurve is the "OAL" of the bow...I would prefer a more comopact package...

How about the accuracy/shootability of recurve vs. compound? Can anyone shed some light on that?
    The lower velocity of the recurve means that you have to be on point accuracy wise. Like I said people have been using them to kill things for centuries. Compounds make the process simpler somewhat. Puts the learning experience on a sharp curve if you will.

I will say that you won't regret buying either as they are an absolute blast to shoot. I'm sure everytime I go to the range I can't pull another arrow.

Question for you if you don't mind. Do you have a long armspan?
    Last edited by Ghost__1; 02-29-12 at 19:28.
    "I know enough about a lot but enough to get me in trouble none the less." Me

Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post

Believe me, I know about not doing the "popular thing." Be a gear and gun dealer, go onto a tactical gun forum and tell folks to STOP buying crap they don't need.

C4

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost__1 View Post
    The lower velocity of the recurve means that you have to be on point accuracy wise. Like I said people have been using them to kill things for centuries. Compounds make the process simpler somewhat. Puts the learning experience on a sharp curve if you will.

I will say that you won't regret buying either as they are an absolute blast to shoot. I'm sure everytime I go to the range I can't pull another arrow.

Question for you if you don't mind. Do you have a long armspan?
    No I wouldn't say long, I'm a 5'8" bulky, compact kind of guy lol
    Why?

Feedback Score
    No I wouldn't say long, I'm a 5'8" bulky, compact kind of guy lol
    Why?
    Some of the numbers are kind of confusing about compound bows to new shooters. I'll try to go over some basics.
    For example a bow that's tuned at 65lbs with 80% let off will feel like 17 to 20lbs when fully drawn. Making precise shots easier. Draw length is horizontal length from your bow hand to your draw hand at full draw.

The longer the draw length the higher potential for higher velocity. For another example my bow is tuned at 65lbs with a 28" draw length. I may be pushing arrows at 300fps. My buddies is 60 lbs with a 31" dl and his is pushing around 320fps. Basically the more time on the string let's it push it for more time.hope that helps understand a little better.

Believe me, I know about not doing the "popular thing." Be a gear and gun dealer, go onto a tactical gun forum and tell folks to STOP buying crap they don't need.

C4

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    Some of the numbers are kind of confusing about compound bows to new shooters. I'll try to go over some basics.
    For example a bow that's tuned at 65lbs with 80% let off will feel like 17 to 20lbs when fully drawn. Making precise shots easier. Draw length is horizontal length from your bow hand to your draw hand at full draw.

The longer the draw length the higher potential for higher velocity. For another example my bow is tuned at 65lbs with a 28" draw length. I may be pushing arrows at 300fps. My buddies is 60 lbs with a 31" dl and his is pushing around 320fps. Basically the more time on the string let's it push it for more time.hope that helps understand a little better.
    Ahh ok that definitely helps me make sense of the numbers I was looking at. Thanks for the explanation.

I guess I'll be looking more into the compound bows then...

Feedback Score
    Ahh ok that definitely helps me make sense of the numbers I was looking at. Thanks for the explanation.

I guess I'll be looking more into the compound bows then...
    No problem. Also fyi most outfitters like Cabellas Gander mountain bass PR shop have onsite 10yd ranges where you can test Amy bow you would like recurve and compound. I suggest doing this. There are alot of brands and if the guy at the counter is good they can set you up real good. Beware of internet purchases because like ars you don't always know what bubba did to his hoyt.

C4

Border Rat that returned to Indian Territory.
    Feedback Score
    No problem. Also fyi most outfitters like Cabellas Gander mountain bass PR shop have onsite 10yd ranges where you can test Amy bow you would like recurve and compound. I suggest doing this. There are alot of brands and if the guy at the counter is good they can set you up real good. Beware of internet purchases because like ars you don't always know what bubba did to his hoyt.
    This is big... Go shoot a bow, I wish I could have done that with some of my gun purchases.
    However, gunshops generally wont let you shoot the new pistol made by company X, you can at lest see what you like and dislike with a bow.
    Last edited by arbninftry; 03-01-12 at 08:03.

Feedback Score
    I bought a Hoyt compound about 6 years ago and love it! My grandfather is scary good with a bow and he got me into it. You can get "sights" for a compound as well as trigger release. After about 3 months of training I went from never had shot a bow to taking the feathers off arrows at 25 yds. The first time you shear a feather off an arrow already in the target (on purpose) your like hell yeah I am Robin Hood, the second time you do it your like damn it now I have to bust out the repair gear and put on a new feather.

Feedback Score
    I have been looking into bows myself. I am somewhat interested in the modern horesebow interpretations such as Kassai. My desire was basically to KISS and have another tool around. My priorities were
    1-ability to use improvised/non specific arrows
    2-no "parts"(I had a compound when I was a kid that I got all out of wack)
    3-something I could learn without need of technical knowledge or any desire to stay "up" on bow culture.

Is this the wrong way to go?
    You can never make anyting idiot-proof, whenever you get close they just build a better idiot.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by threeheadeddog View Post
    I have been looking into bows myself. I am somewhat interested in the modern horesebow interpretations such as Kassai. My desire was basically to KISS and have another tool around. My priorities were
    1-ability to use improvised/non specific arrows
    2-no "parts"(I had a compound when I was a kid that I got all out of wack)
    3-something I could learn without need of technical knowledge or any desire to stay "up" on bow culture.

Is this the wrong way to go?
    Not at all. I think different strokes for different folks. Sounds like you have a plan.

C4

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    OP,
    Definitely get a bow and shoot the hell out of it. Today's compound bows are fantastic! The combination of of parallel limbs and single cams have made fast and forgiving possible in the same bow. You no longer have to tune your bow and a long brace height is easily attainable even in the fastest bows out there.

I haven't done much in the last few years but, I have been an avid bow hunter(deer) for 20+ years. My first deer was taken with a hung cam, birch limb compound from Bear Archery. I have done a bit of traditional recurve target shooting but have never done any instinctive shooting, IE I have always used some sort of mechanical sights.

I started shooting 3-D for fun about 10 years ago and wound up matching with the same two fellows quite regularly. One was a high dollar corporate lawyer who shot an English long bow instinctively(no sights) and the other was an Amish gentleman who had the best Hoyt setup that could be had at the time. Both could out shoot me without effort but the guy with the long bow put both me and the Amish fellow to shame. Without sights or any mechanical advantage at all.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast