Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Lets Talk Bows!

Feedback Score
    After being an archer for years I have two recommendations.
    First, do not get too heavy a draw weight. I’ve seen people who go out and buy a 70+ pound draw weight who can barely draw it, and then only going through some sort of convulsion dance. Trust me; nothing good is coming from that. Compound bows usually come in a 10 – 15 pound range which allows you to start at a lower end and as you progress, develop good form and get the basics you can increase the draw weight.

Second, if possible find someone who is experienced archer that’s willing to mentor you. It’s often easier to develop good form and understand all the nuances if you have a coach. Most experienced archers I know would be happy to do that. Archery shoots and bow shops would be somewhere to look.

You don’t have to spend a mint on a good compound bow. I think a mid-priced bow from a reputable company is all you will need to get started. Good luck and beware, archery can become an addiction.

Feedback Score
    Ok since this is in the fieldcraft and survival section I have a question.

If you were not trying to fit into any perticular hunting season/legal peramiters would it not make most sense to go with a traditional/recurveish bow and have a crossbow for the more technical/capable option? Do the crossbows have more performance due to the ability to use a lever to cock them?

Just questions.
    You can never make anyting idiot-proof, whenever you get close they just build a better idiot.

Feedback Score
    i own a Hoyt Rampage XT and it has done right by be. i would recommend it to anyone that wants a good bow and thats on a budget

Feedback Score
    Also, you don't have to buy a new now to get a top quality shooter. Lots of guys get a new bow every year and sell the old one for a lot less than new.
    I'd go with a Hoyt or a pse, they are rugged and reliable. 50-60 lbs is plenty fast and easy to draw

Feedback Score
    I have been bow hunting sense I was about 8 and I started out on a recurve which my daughters still shoot. For a survival situation I would go with a recurve perferably a takedown. This allows you to make your own arrows out of wood but it does take more practice to learn to shoot instinctively than a compound with sights. I currently hunt with a PSE compound but I shoot my recurve allot during down time out at the hunting lease just to stay in practice. If you want to get proficient quickly go with a compound.

I always suggest people start out with a low end PSE because I have seen dozens of people start out all gungho but then pretty soon the bow is hanging in the garage collecting dust. The low end PSE bows today were top of the line 5-10 years ago so even the lower end bows are still fast and accurate.

The biggest hurdle when it comes to acuracy is getting the bow set up correctly for you and your style Cabelas usually has some pretty good guys working in their archery section that will set up any bow you purchase I have never dealt with Bass Pro but I would guess they have the same type personel at their stores

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ironman8 View Post
    First off I'll say that I pretty much know nothing about bows. I know a few of the types of bows out there, but not much else. At least not enough to be dangerous. I was going to do some of my own research, but I figured I would start here instead of unknowingly coming across "TOS version for archery" forum . I figure that if guys here know the difference in quality between firearms, then they would about bows if it interests them.

What I am looking for is a bow that is simple in design, simple to learn and shoot well, easy to maintain, and hopefully won't put too big a dent in my checkbook. I dunno, maybe I'm asking for too much, but like I said, I don't know what I don't know about bows.

This is something that I would use to hunt with primarily. And as you guessed, I put it in this forum due to this being something I would like to add to any "preps" that I may or may not have . There is something to be said about the ability to take game silently.

So have at it fellas, teach me!
    Go to Local Archery Shop find out your draw length and draw strength. While your there shoot the different bow styles there.
    Ask first to shoot a Traditional bow...
    Then shoot some compounds...
    Just do yourself a favor while your there dont buy...
    Do some shopping...

If you want to keep it cheap and low cost easy to use fun and low maintenance its going to be hard to bet a Recurve...
    If you go this path remember a few things.If you buy used.
    Asked the bow owner if he kept it stringed if yes don't buy it.
    Look for limb damage if the limbs are cracked or delaminated don't buy it.
    Place the bow on its back side to see if they limbs are straight if not don't buy it.

If you go with a compound look for damage on the limbs pulleys and look for cracks and delamination if so dont buy it..
    I would look for the newest used compound you can find that is set up. With sights and rest and quiver.

With any bows you buy used before you use them just go back to the store and have them give it a once over.. If you chose a compound have them tune it and fit it to you and your style of shooting.

Arrows go Carbon no matter your bow choice IMO sounds crazy with a traditional bow or compound bow they fly faster, stay straight, durable and accurate. You can shoot them thousands of times and not worry about them as long you dont damage them.
    I also like my arrows to run on the heavy side for bow set up but thats just me...

I would also look at getting a fishing set up for any bow you choose...
    There well worth the money and time.. Its hell a fun and will be quite a challenge for you. Again this is one of the funnest things to do with a bow... Buy one..
    Last edited by SilverTongueDevil; 04-15-12 at 17:28.
    "The police cannot protect the citizen at this stage of our development, and they cannot even protect themselves in many cases. It is up to the private citizen to protect himself and his family, and this is not only acceptable, but mandatory"
    Jeff Cooper

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    I have been shooting bows since I could walk, only got into the compound thing about 10 years ago.

If this is for survival I would look at the PSE coyote its alluminum and fiberglass and it is a take down recurve. Buy extra strings for it and a shit tone of arrows and go practice it will last for ever. You dont need the 55lb draw weight thats for monsters like me go with the 45lb.
    Last edited by ICANHITHIMMAN; 04-15-12 at 17:41.
    "After I shot myself, my training took over and I called my parents..." Texas Grebner

"Take me with a grain of salt, my sarcasm does not relate well over the internet"

Jonathan Morehouse

Feedback Score
    is there a good place to get arrows and targets cheap online?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I ordered a PSE Stalker recurve about a week ago and am looking forward to getting back into shooting a bow. I used to shoot my dad's recurve up until I was leaving for college and always had a great time. Never hunted with a bow, just target practice. Should be a fun little distraction on warm summer days.

Picked it up for $116 from Sportsman's Guide. I'm gonna have a buddy of mine help me with arrow selection, quiver and the rest of the accessories. Nice part is, his back yard and my back yard are about 50 meters from each other and he has targets all set up and available to me whenever I want, so that will save me a bit of cash until I decide to go full tilt.
    Time flies when you throw your watch.

Feedback Score
    My son's and wife have expressed a desire to get into archery. The appeal of being able to setout in the backyard and shoot, as a family, has alot of appeal (always looking for another family activity)
    For a Survival bow I looked at recurves. I wanted something that I could service/care for with a minimum amount of fuss, and as stated above I wanted the flexability of shooting homemade arrows in a pinch. After some advice from several on another Survival site I think that I have settled on the Samick Sage takedown bow. 3rivers sells them as well as Cabelas and our local Sportsmans Warehouse for $140. In case you want to go up in drawl weight later on they sell replacment limbs. It is tapped for sights/on-bow quiver and the limbs are toolless takedown. Search the net and You Tube there are a bunch of happy owners (some are guys that have much more expensive setups but bought these as a backup bow or for putting under the seat of their truck for hunting on the fly).
    http://www.3riversarchery.com/product.asp?i=2490X
    Last edited by LonghunterCO; 06-04-12 at 22:39. Reason: add link

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast