Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Two-tone Colt 9mm...

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Two-tone Colt 9mm...

I’m a sucker for two-tone guns... and I’ll admit it, I just like the old school look and feel that a two-tone gun seems to communicate almost better than any other finish. So when it came time for me to finally (and I say finally ‘cause this project sat on my back burner for something like 3 years or so) build this gun I new the modifications had to support the old school two-tone look and feel.

The gun started with an older and non-caliber designated Series 80 carbon steel slide with a 9mm breech face. The slide was fit to a brand new stainless steel Colt frame via our standard weld-up frame and slide fit. The gun has a Kart barrel mated up to a stainless EGW barrel bushing. The slide top was flattened and serrated, fit with a Gold Line front sight, and a re-contoured original Heinie rear sight to keep with the old-school theme. The rear of the slide was serrated to match the Heinie sight and the front of the slide was ball-cut.

On the bottom half of the gun the lines were straightened and the front strap was high-cut and checkered by hand at 30lpi. The mainspring housing is a Legacy Custom product that I checkered at 30lpi to match the front strap and then cut and blended into a large opening for the mag-well. Swinging from the Colt commercial thumb safety is an EGW machined grip safety that was reshaped for an overall reduced profile. A tool steel Commander style hammer help keep the theme of the gun going and, in addition to a complete functional detailing and reliability job, only the best quality internals were used throughout the gun. Finishing the gun off is a set of Spegel Makassar ebony stocks.

Pretty cool to finally have got this gun finished up just in time to display it at this years SHOT Show. At one time I was dead set on making it a 9x23 but after all is finished I’m quite pleased with it as a 9mm and I certainly enjoyed the range sessions I got to have while building and testing this gun. Enjoy the pictures!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Wow!!! A true classic and beautifully done!!!

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Took my breath away.

Jason, what's going on with Heirloom's website? I can't get in, did you and Ted ban me or something.

Riots are like sports, it's better to watch it on TV at home.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Beautiful! Classy old school leather IWB holster, too, by the way. Is that a High Noon?
    Oh no, not another lube thread! Read this first: Lubrication 101.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    It just never ends. So
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Love those ebony grips, they just go so well with everything!

Wonderful job.

Feedback Score
    Absolutely fanastic looking pistol.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Awesome as always Jason!
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kartoffel View Post
    Beautiful! Classy old school leather IWB holster, too, by the way. Is that a High Noon?
    Not a high noon. It is a 5shot leather by John Ralston, his copy of the Sparks Summer Special.

Riots are like sports, it's better to watch it on TV at home.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Hey guys... thanks for the comments and kind words. I’m a died in the wool 45ACP kind of guy when it comes to 1911s but I could learn to really love shooting a 9mm.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    Not a high noon. It is a 5shot leather by John Ralston, his copy of the Sparks Summer Special.
    You’re close my friend, this one is a Summer Special style rig from Matt DelFatti.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast