Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help decide which upper

Feedback Score

Help decide which upper

Guys - Can somebody tell me the differences between these uppers.
    I copied the name exactly as is from the PSA website.
    I think I understand the difference between the light weight -vs- normal upper, but what about the chrome lined -vs- MP -vs- Hammer Forged. Uses of each or pro's and con's of each would be great.

I am planning on buying a complete upper and lower from PSA in FDE.

1. PSA 16" Mid-length Chrome-lined Upper

2. PSA 16'' Hammer Forged Midlength Light Weight upper

3. PSA 16'' Hammer Forged Midlength Upper

4. PSA 16" Mid-length MP Upper

Thanks,

Butch

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    As a noob to this site myself, you will get a lot more out of the knowledgable folks here if you use the site's search function and read all the stickies before asking too many questions.

As to your specific question I'd say your best bet will be to contact PSA directly.

Happy searching!

Feedback Score
    What is your intended purpose for this firearm? This is an important question as it will help us give you the pros and cons based on your needs.
    "Arms are the only true badge of liberty. The possession of arms is the distinction of a free man from a slave." - Andrew Fletcher, 1698

"You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass." - Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto

"Among Other Evils Which Being Unarmed Brings You, It Causes You To Be Despised." - The Prince, Nicolo Machiavelli

Feedback Score
    I would recommend that you visit G&R Tactical where you can get a BCM midlength upper receiver with a hammer forged barrel and BCM charging handle. If you don't want a BCM it is still a great place for pricing on a number of different AR15 parts.
    Yes, I like pretty ponies.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Read the existing threads on the various options. My preference is for the lightweight CHF middies, since it will work well across the greatest range of applications, but that doesn't make it the right choice, just the most likely to be right one.
    عندما تصبح الأسلحة محظورة, قد يملكون حظرون عندهم فقط
    کله چی سلاح منع شوی دی، یوازي غلوونکۍ یی به درلود
    Semper Fi
    "Being able to do the basics, on demand, takes practice. " - Sinister

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    do your research get a midlength
    brands like bcm daniel defense noveske colt threes a lot of good ones out there just do your research so you dont regret what you buy

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    chrome lined -vs- MP -vs- Hammer Forged

Those are not all mutually exclusive.

I have a Palmetto upper on my AR 15. I don't shoot in competitions or take carbine classes so I don't know how it'll hold up but I can tell you that holding it and looking at it, it's very clean and solid. If I ever get a job where I need an AR and get to provide my own than I'll get a Colt or something. More of a handgun guy.

Also, they have absolutely awesome customer service. I called with some questions about my order and their system was down. It took two days before they fixed it, so both those days I got a call in the morning and evening letting me know she'd call me and let me know when the system was up again. Third day she called me and got everything taken care of.

Feedback Score
    I will be using this for general shooting, not hunting. 50 yards or less less than 1000 rounds per year. Thanks for the recommendations on other brands but I have decided to go with PSA. What I am trying to understand is what exactly is the difference between the uppers and what are advantages or disadvantages of each. Is it mostly cosmetic?
    I was planning on talking to PSA, but thought I would ask here to get more opinion and some info prior to calling.
    Thanks,

Butch

Feedback Score
    PSA 16'' Hammer Forged Midlength Upper
    PSA 16'' Hammer Forged Midlength Light Weight upper
    ^These two are the same except for the latter of the two having a thinner profiled barrel. Hammer Forged barrels are well suited for people who shoot a LOT of rounds frequently (thousands of rounds a year.)

PSA 16" Mid-length Chrome-lined Upper
    PSA 16" Mid-length MP Upper
    ^These two are the same except the latter has been HPT tested (the other was only MPI'd.) Of these two I would choose the MP upper.

With that being said, I wouldn't buy any of these. BCM is a superior brand that uses much better materials and testing. They can be had at the same price range as these and are TRULY Mil-Spec'ish.
    This would be your best option http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-1...urg-mid-16.htm
    Last edited by J_Dub_503; 03-03-12 at 00:05.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Butch,

You're not going to get too much love for PSA from M4Carbine. Why? Because we prefer brands that have been vetted for this community and our needs. I'm not trying to speak for everyone, but the general attitude here is that proven brands designed for self-defense, patrol, SDM, etc. are preferred over newer "best bang for the buck" options.

That attitude might change once someone comes forward with quantifiable evidence that PSA meets this requirement. Being that most people who buy PSA aren't willing to shell out the coin for professional training and the related costs, I wouldn't hold my breath.

For the sake of objectivity, I'm considering picking up a PSA upper and running it through the motions and putting my thoughts here and other places. That won't happen for a considerable time though, being that I'm on Uncle Sam's time at the moment.

You're not going to be happy hearing this, but I'm gonna echo the sentiments of others. BCM is the best bet for ya Bud.

Cheers,
    Dan
    Luke 2:14
    USMC 03-08

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast