Quote Originally Posted by Ned Christiansen View Post
I suddenly and for the first time am interested in putting an offset MRDS on a scoped rifle having an LPVO on it. The world seems to be telling me that having an offset MRDS mount that puts the dot at the standard 2.5 / 2.6 offset over the bore is a dumb idea. I can't find anyone that makes it or has considered it. Am I really crazy for thinking:
1. Mounting an MRDS ~an inch higher than anything else makes it that much more vulnerable to knocks and damage;
2. Mounting it that high means all the accustomed-to close range offsets are now slightly different;
3. Mounting it that high means there is no chance of co-witnessing with offset, flip-up, BUIS. I actually almost got the product-inquiry equivalent of rolled eyes on that one. Like, "why would you want that?" My answer would be, MRDS are delicate to start with, plus.... you know, batteries. For a < 2 oz weight penalty, I might like to have some irons.

What I want specifically: a 45 degree offset MRDS mount that has protective wings and puts the MRDS (at this point, whatever MRDS but looking to start with a Vortex Venom) at a height that allows a centered co-witness with flip-up, offset, BUIS. I have not measured everything out there but my impression and belief is that all or most such BUIS put the sights at the "usual" height over bore. Strong pref that it not be QD, it adds weight. It seems like I may have found some out-of-production offerings, they looked lower but no info WRT dot height over bore.

Also: an associate recently bought the new S&W 2.0 "Metal". No plastic frame, it's aluminum and sofar it seems like a great pistol. It's optics ready coming with multiple adaptor plates. The one that fits the Venom is parallel and will not allow him to get the dot adjusted down to the point of impact. We have looked at a few aftermarket ones and the same problem applies. By my reckoning it calls for maybe 40 minutes of "downslope". 20 or 30 might do it. Not sure but I'm surprised if the Venom has "less" adjustment to it. Any comments / help? As with the above I've tried a few and don't want to keep buying and trying, I want to just find one that has actual info like, "X-MOA of downslope" or, "made to work with Venom / S&W combo".
https://www.jprifles.com/buy.php?item=JPOINT4-WPG-ROS

This is the only one that I know of with the "wings" to protect the optic but I believe is only for the J-Point Optic. One of the guys I've shot with has this on his 3 gun AR, I've reached out to see how he likes it.