Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: FYI for smart phone users

Feedback Score
    Like I stated earlier I knew the medivac nine line request by heart. Had I ever needed to be the one to call it up I feel I would have done great. Never know though. Either way it was there for everyone. Ive seen joes, squadleaders, and plenty of butterbar's do it flawlessly in training and freeze up to be fixed by a crusty E7.
    I was glad it was his job and he did it all the times I've been involved in medivac's however it could have been him hit and pressure to someone else may have been bad.
    "I know enough about a lot but enough to get me in trouble none the less." Me

Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post

Believe me, I know about not doing the "popular thing." Be a gear and gun dealer, go onto a tactical gun forum and tell folks to STOP buying crap they don't need.

C4

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost__1 View Post
    Like I stated earlier I knew the medivac nine line request by heart. Had I ever needed to be the one to call it up I feel I would have done great. Never know though. Either way it was there for everyone. Ive seen joes, squadleaders, and plenty of butterbar's do it flawlessly in training and freeze up to be fixed by a crusty E7.
    I was glad it was his job and he did it all the times I've been involved in medivac's however it could have been him hit and pressure to someone else may have been bad.
    As the team leader for my small embedded training team in Afghanistan I did all the medevacs, I did so many I had dreams about them, but I always went to the same page in my book when I wrote out the 9 line so I wouldn't forget anything.

I'm surprised how many people are getting wrapped around the axle about a check list.
    Todd
    Colt/BCM

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Reagans Rascals View Post
    considering most everyday people have no idea whatsoever how to change a tire or how to start a fire properly... its not too far fetched to think they really won't remember the 15 minute CPR lesson they got in 8th grade.... under stress...

reminders help... step-by-step's improve the help.

I don't need a check-list to pre-flight my plane... but I won't do one without it.... the human mind usually remembers 7 steps in order... after that its usually the very first and very last few that make it through.... I think if someones life is in their hands I'd rather them use all the help they can to get it right the first time
    CPR has changed a lot since 8th grade. Heck it was 5:1 when I was younger. Now its 30:2, and it assumes there is an AED somewhere.

To be fair, my ealier smart comment was making fun of the CYA on everything medical. When i was on a mission trip to Larado, we had a HgA1c machine (cool as snot btw) so we could do spot checks. The first line of the manual, "this machine is not for the diagnosis or the treatment of Diabetes."

I've got epocrates, Sanfords, UpToDate, and the red book as my peripheral brain, too.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    If the information is good - where's the harm? I don't think you can ever have too much good information. It is simply a tool that may benefit someone that needs help at some point in time.

Feedback Score
    Having taken basic first responder training in 2009 and Sept/Oct 2011, I can tell you I don't remember everything from that class with everything else we've had to learn lately. I haven't had enough practice at any of it to be totally comfortable either, which is why I'm glad I'm taking another medical class this weekend.
    “Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does.” - William James

"I believe the appropriate metaphor here involves a river of excrement and a Native American water vessel without any means of propulsion."

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Pax View Post
    Sounds brilliant. They ought to make apps for disaster preparation and personal defense as well.
    Make one that instructs the user to duck, tuck, and kiss butt goodbye.
    Last edited by feedramp; 05-09-12 at 01:12.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by drrufo View Post
    Not to be a smart ass, BUT if you have to look aid response on a phone app, you should be the one giving aid. Unless you are the only one and that person is going to die.
    I would take a basic first aid course with your local Red Cross or CERT training cadre. I've taken both and know enough to know when to help and when not to help.We had a woman go down at qwrk the other night with" an elephant on her chest". EMTs were called and someone with better training than I had was watching over her until they arrived.
    If you want to review the app in your idle time then it would be very helpful, just not when someone is having a heartattack.
    a "heart attack" is not First aid...

CPR,ACLS isnt first aid, it's an entirely different ball game.
    Also what if someone has a boo boo, and you have plenty of time to use your app to make a sling, to create a splint from random objects.
    A person will know when or when not to look in the book or app at any given situation.

don't be so harsh.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas42 View Post
    CPR has changed a lot since 8th grade. Heck it was 5:1 when I was younger. Now its 30:2, and it assumes there is an AED somewhere.

To be fair, my ealier smart comment was making fun of the CYA on everything medical. When i was on a mission trip to Larado, we had a HgA1c machine (cool as snot btw) so we could do spot checks. The first line of the manual, "this machine is not for the diagnosis or the treatment of Diabetes."

I've got epocrates, Sanfords, UpToDate, and the red book as my peripheral brain, too.
    For the most part, I agree - peripheral brain is needed at times. It certainly is quicker to check things online than in the book (ie drug interactions).

First aid? What's it hurt? I agree it should be an adjunct, not primary training, just like I don't think that having Epocrates on your smart phone makes you a certified pharmacist or physician. It's 99 cents. So what if it's never used? Or if it is used, then it's a buck well spent.

Get some training, get the basics down, and have a back up if you need it. How many people out there have a spare bolt or hammer stuck in their hand grip?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Caduceus View Post
    For the most part, I agree - peripheral brain is needed at times. It certainly is quicker to check things online than in the book (ie drug interactions).

First aid? What's it hurt? I agree it should be an adjunct, not primary training, just like I don't think that having Epocrates on your smart phone makes you a certified pharmacist or physician. It's 99 cents. So what if it's never used? Or if it is used, then it's a buck well spent.

Get some training, get the basics down, and have a back up if you need it. How many people out there have a spare bolt or hammer stuck in their hand grip?
    I agree, but was surprised how many people on this forum argue, blow things out of proportion, and make assumptions.
    Last edited by Todd00000; 02-18-13 at 09:18.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    something is better than nothing ! I can see it could help someone in some situations ,Having taken First Aid in the Military and a couple of classes .
    any tool that will help is a plus .I would hope someone did not get this app and think they are super medic without any idea of Basic first aid

NRA Member

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast