AWESOME class coming up with a very professional instructor cadre...

Class description:

The LMS Defense Team Tactics course will teach teamwork, weapon manipulation, teamwork, combat stress management, teamwork, movement, teamwork, 2 man team use of cover, fighting from unusual positions, cognitive combat skills, teamwork and basic CQB skills, all with a teammate. This fast paced, challenging course will better enable you to use the handgun and rifle as effective fighting tools as part of a two man team. We strongly recommend you take this course with your partner or friends with whom you work or are often out in public.

Duration: 2 days

Equipment needed:

*500 rounds of pistol ammunition
*Holster and magazine pouches
*Rifle and 3 magazines
*700 rounds of rifle ammunition
*Sling
*Cover garment
*SureFire or similar personal light
*Pen and notebook
*Hat or other head covering
*Knee and elbow pads
*Eye and ear protection
*Sunscreen or raingear (as applicable)
*Adequate personal water supply
*Sack lunch and snack food (We do not leave the range for lunch)

AAR from the last Team Tactics class:

Fortunately everyone in the class has had formal training. I have attended classes with everyone that was in class and knew that their weapon handling skills were good to go, that definitely allows you to attend class knowing you would not incur or leave with any extra holes...

Day 1:

Since there were no, "rookies in class", Ken got right into the meat and potatoes:

Always, always, always first: Safety briefing...the 4 rules that govern the day, no one is exempt, were covered first. Medical plan: Luckily we had an EMT in class, Dooly, and multiple BOK's. Everyone had their assignment in case there was an accident, which there would not be.

I have taken many, many, classes but one dedicated exclusively to Team Tactics was on my short list. We talked about the difference between tactics and shooting. Tactics: Gaining and increasing your advantage in the fight while taking away your opponents. Shooting: Pulling the trigger. Big difference.

My personal objective was to have to THINK on the fly and have my partner on the same page as quickly as possible. Ken emphasized the following points: Shoot, move, communicate...the 3 essentials when working with a partner. Communication was the order of the (2) days. Let your partner know whats going on. Through oral comms, non-verbal communication, or touch. Speaking during a gun-fight is not always an option. Tunnel vision, adrenline, or sheer noise can impede a persons ability to take in or give out information. How is this overcome? Training!

On to the beloved dots...everyone in class was a good shooter, and my death dealing, man-vaporizing, DNA erasing 1911, served me well on the dots. (Ken can shoot the hell out of a 1911, more on this later...) I personally like dots, because they "ground" you.

Partners in class were basically determined by who was standing closest to you when he called out to partner up. Day 1: I was with Anthony. Dooly with Andrew.

One physical characteristic that MUST be taken into account when you have a partner is size. I am 6'1 207lbs while my partner on day 1 was 5'7 160 lbs. This comes into play when you must keep in physical contact and or physicaly guide your partner where you want him to go. Slinging them around can cause him/her some serious sight/ target acquisition problems. The iron fist-velvet glove approach is critical. Be firm, but not over-bearing.

Cognitive targets: I like having problems ::Ken calls them "wrinkles", hogwash! He is trying to jack up your OODA loop!:: that you must work through, under stress.

The drill that stood out for me consisted of (2) cognitive targets side by side. Your "primary" target depended on which side you were on: Right to right, left to left. While is physical contact with your partner, regardless if he/you moved or not: Stay in contact.

Ken would call out a color or a shape, the shooter on each team who identified the corresponding # of that color or a shape on his target FIRST, would call it out and then his partner called out the other for his target and placed (2) rounds in said #. This took some serious teamwork and comms if you have not done it before. Reload as necessary and cover your buddy while he was doing so, if necessary, you were required to put (2) ronds into his target (covering him, malfunction, he is "hit" but can fight or "out" and cannot fight. Regardless, you have to COMMUNICATE!!)

Day (1) was short, but sweet and we covered a great deal of material.

One important aspect was that Ken had a relevant and applicable story for every tactic. The majority based on his own experience as an LEO. No fluff, only substance.

Ken is a GREAT instructor who not only guides the class, but wants feedback. Dooly is very good at this...he often asks questions that give all of us clarity of thought.

Day (2). Bright and early...We started at 8am sharp...

A bit of a curve...day (2) switch partners...I was with Dooly and Anthony with Andrew.

I have taken numerous class with Dooly and he and I being on the same page was easy. He often has tid-bits of information for me that keep me lined up.

I will elaborate on the drill(s) that made me made "think" just a bit more.

4 targets, bad guys, 50 yards out, labled #1-4. Two shooters, patch to patch (shoulder to shoulder). Shooter #1 and #2, remember what shooter # you are...Ken would take us in and would shout out: shooter #, target #, and "chest" or "head"...reload as necessary, communicate ALWAYS, cover your partner.

#1: Shooting on the move is hard, but doable...(The EoTech is GREAT for this..)

#2: (4) hostiles keep you from having tunnel vision

Dooly was a great partner and we were in sync all day.

I cannot say enough about Kens professionalism and clear teaching style. LMS has a superb instructor cadre that is dialed in. Everything taught has an application...
Link to sign up: http://www.lmsdefense.com/lms/home/courseinstance/88

Mace