Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My custom build 7" M4 piston

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zambowhite View Post
    To C4, Turdbo to answer you question, I found that most people when in the prone position have a tendency to raise their head a few inches when they have to manipulate the charging handle on a stock M4, because of the way it is positioned. I know it's that way to accommodate both left and right handed shooters, since I'm a righty no biggie. I think Keeping your profile low and having the rifle up closer to eye level while working the handle has its merits. I feel the mod works in this respect, it's just something I'm tinkering with. Thank you for your interest.
    Gotcha. Can you tell me why you would need to work the CH in the prone position??

C4

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    The next time you want to "quote" something I wrote, please do so in it's entirety.

To all concerned.

The custom build area is a place to show off and or ask questions about your custom build. If you are going to post pictures of your build, please post a complete picture not just your parts, partial lowers, etc....

Also, buying an upper separate and then a lower and throwing them together does not constitute a custom build. It would also be nice if you took time to explain how you came to your decision and explain your set up. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by devinsdad View Post
    To all concerned.

The custom build area is a place to show off and or ask questions about your custom build. If you are going to post pictures of your build, please post a complete picture not just your parts, partial lowers, etc....

Sorry, but the instructions of the custom build forum IS to post pics of new builds. To go on about make, model, manufacturer is a suggestion...not a requirement.

Nice build Op, What piston system did you end up using? Like others, I'm curious to know what lower that is? Sure is interesting.
    Nice 180 by the way, is yours a full auto? I kick my but every time I see one for not buying when I had the chance.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    C4,

I tested this configuration on my SBR just to see how it would hold up to a lot of rounds, since this is the rifle I shoot most. And also to see how bad the gassing would be when using a suppressor, so far it's tolerable and seems sturdy enough. The next step is to install the side CH permanently on my 20inch M16 which has a scope, for long range work. I forgot to mention that, myself and a lot of my buddies felt the scopes we use kinda get in the way of the regular M16 CH since they sort of co-exist near the same plane. I also don't have to lose my cheek weld as I charge the rifle. I don't think it will be something that everyone will want or like, but for my use it has some advantages over the regular CH. Hope this answers the question.

Feedback Score
    It is an interesting set up for sure! It is good that you are testing out what works for you. I think if it helps you shoot better and works for you do it! That is what custom builds are for!

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    C4,

I tested this configuration on my SBR just to see how it would hold up to a lot of rounds, since this is the rifle I shoot most. And also to see how bad the gassing would be when using a suppressor, so far it's tolerable and seems sturdy enough. The next step is to install the side CH permanently on my 20inch M16 which has a scope, for long range work. I forgot to mention that, myself and a lot of my buddies felt the scopes we use kinda get in the way of the regular M16 CH since they sort of co-exist near the same plane. I also don't have to lose my cheek weld as I charge the rifle. I don't think it will be something that everyone will want or like, but for my use it has some advantages over the regular CH. Hope this answers the question.
    Have you ever tried to chamber a round with the bolt catch (VS the charging handle)?

C4

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    Have you ever tried to chamber a round with the bolt catch (VS the charging handle)?
    That's what I was thinking. If you do a tactical reload you already have a round in the chamber. And if you do a speed reload the bolt should have locked to the rear, allowing you to just press the bolt release.

Feedback Score
    C4, Hayden

Yes I also use the bolt catch on succeeding magazines or for admin reloads, more so on my M4, but when I charge the rifle the first time, I feel the side CH is more ergonomic. C4 I fire from prone quite a bit with my M16. I tried sending a higher rez pic of the range, but this app keeps resizing it.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    C4, Hayden

Yes I also use the bolt catch on succeeding magazines or for admin reloads, more so on my M4, but when I charge the rifle the first time, I feel the side CH is more ergonomic. C4 I fire from prone quite a bit with my M16. I tried sending a higher rez pic of the range, but this app keeps resizing it.

Good, glad to hear you use the bolt catch. So with that out of the way, why the side charging handle?

C4

Feedback Score
    Who made your sights?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I think a folding non reciprocating charging handle on the left side of the AR would be an improvement, assuming the execution does not create new problems. I find the side CH of the Fal much more natural to use than the Gunfighter Mod 3 or Mod 4 I have on my ARs.

Of course the CH of the Fal sees more use because it's better to sling shot the Fal as steady use of the BHO causes undue wear
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast