Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Esstac/Jones shotgun cards

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Esstac/Jones shotgun cards

Who is running these? I haven't seen any really detailed reviews, though what I have seen has been pretty positive.

Was curious how they compare to the sidesaddles, for those with experience with both. I like the idea of slapping a fresh card on the receiver over refilling the individual sidesaddle slots. Also like the fact that these fit in AR-15 mags.

Would be to good to hear how these hold up over heavy use (like a Rob Haught class).

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    I've never used one, but there are a shit ton of reviews here:

skd ninja syndicate

I know there aren't a lot of detailed ones, but maybe you'll find what you're looking for.
    Last edited by Wake27; 03-06-12 at 21:49.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    I like the idea, but I wonder about the durability of velcro over the long term, and how well it would stay attached to the receiver as it heats up with use (or in a hot environment, like a desert or tropical area).
    Cyril: Oh now that's a breach of trust!

Lana: Do you really want to open this can of trust-breachy worms after I just found you and my ex-boyfriend with a dead hooker in the trunk?

Cyril: ...I do not.

A Dream of the Dark Continent

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by LHS View Post
    I like the idea, but I wonder about the durability of velcro over the long term, and how well it would stay attached to the receiver as it heats up with use (or in a hot environment, like a desert or tropical area).
    I think that's an accepted trade off with price and ease of installation. Personally though, I think I'd prefer the plastic or metal so its easier to have positive control over each shell. Whether this is a problem, I don't know.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    FWIW, you can get loop velcro cut for your shotgun from http://3gungear.corecommerce.com/Sho...cment-p32.html

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by pdb View Post
    FWIW, you can get loop velcro cut for your shotgun from http://3gungear.corecommerce.com/Sho...cment-p32.html
    That's pretty handy--thanks for the tip!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have worried about extreme heat affecting the performance of adhesive-backed loop material as well. Come this June I plan on heating up my receiver on the hood of my truck in the sun and seeing if I can induce failure.

Shotshells do stay in place MOST of the time. Under prolonged abuse, they will move, like with any other saddle. I have tried to devise several ways to improve retention. Ill get back to you guys if I come up with anything effective, durable, cheap and easy to install.

Complete review of EssTac Shotgun Cards:
    http://paxgear.blogspot.com/search?u...&max-results=1

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Thanks for the link, Pax, perfect!

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    I have been using over a dozen of the Esstac cards for my duty shotguns for a few years now and have had no issues other than the mentioned cuts from the sharp corners during training. It only took me few training days to be annoyed by this at which point I just cut all the corners off and smoothed them out with a mini blowtorch and a wet fingertip.

As far as glued on velcro holding tight to your gun I have found that "Extreme" type velcro will hold very well, and if it does peel it will do so slowly so you will see it start well before it just falls off.

Of course, when gluing preparation is EVERYTHING so make sure your receiver is super clean first with at least rubbing alcohol. I actually still use a sidesaddle of some sort of my receivers and use the Esstac cards on my buttstocks. I mount velcro directly to the stock after roughing up the surface a bit with sandpaper and cleaning it well with rubbing alcohol. Rounding the edges of the velcro will help resist corners coming up as well as just using real contact cement instead of the sticky velcro.

Good Luck!

Dennis.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Thanks, Dennis!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast