Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Esstac/Jones shotgun cards

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    I have been using over a dozen of the Esstac cards for my duty shotguns for a few years now and have had no issues other than the mentioned cuts from the sharp corners during training. It only took me few training days to be annoyed by this at which point I just cut all the corners off and smoothed them out with a mini blowtorch and a wet fingertip.

As far as glued on velcro holding tight to your gun I have found that "Extreme" type velcro will hold very well, and if it does peel it will do so slowly so you will see it start well before it just falls off.

Of course, when gluing preparation is EVERYTHING so make sure your receiver is super clean first with at least rubbing alcohol. I actually still use a sidesaddle of some sort of my receivers and use the Esstac cards on my buttstocks. I mount velcro directly to the stock after roughing up the surface a bit with sandpaper and cleaning it well with rubbing alcohol. Rounding the edges of the velcro will help resist corners coming up as well as just using real contact cement instead of the sticky velcro.

Good Luck!

Dennis.
    Would you mind posting or directing me to a picture of that set up? I think that would be a very interesting idea of play with, as well as a more secure way to carry extra rounds then the slide over elastic holders, and may be something to play with before deciding to buy a speedfeed stock, on an upcoming 870 build I am wanting to do.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kain View Post
    Would you mind posting or directing me to a picture of that set up? I think that would be a very interesting idea of play with, as well as a more secure way to carry extra rounds then the slide over elastic holders, and may be something to play with before deciding to buy a speedfeed stock, on an upcoming 870 build I am wanting to do.
    Check out the buttstock of the Benelli M4. The 870 still has a strap on buttstock platform with velcro which accomplishes the same thing with more bulk, but it's part of my rear sling configuration.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Check out the buttstock of the Benelli M4. The 870 still has a strap on buttstock platform with velcro which accomplishes the same thing with more bulk, but it's part of my rear sling configuration.

Thanks. I like the set up, though any lefties I work with may find it less then satisfactory. I'm going to end up with a spare buttstock regardless if I do decide on a speedfeed stock so this will give me something to play with and work with it from there. Really like the idea of being able to quickly switch out what kinds of reloads I have on the gun for situation and bump ammo to the gun quicker. Plain Jane stock isn't that much either. The M4 looks nice, just don't have the money to justify one as of yet.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Thanks. I like the set up, though any lefties I work with may find it less then satisfactory. I'm going to end up with a spare buttstock regardless if I do decide on a speedfeed stock so this will give me something to play with and work with it from there. Really like the idea of being able to quickly switch out what kinds of reloads I have on the gun for situation and bump ammo to the gun quicker. Plain Jane stock isn't that much either. The M4 looks nice, just don't have the money to justify one as of yet.
    I also put some velcro on my external vest carrier as well so I can slap reloads on there as well.

I have not heard anything good about speedfeed internal carry stocks and they are specifically prohibited by my dept. regardless.

Dennis.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Personally in what I have run i have never had an issue with the speedfeed stocks, all the guys I work with and know who carry shotguns in their patrol cars, department issue shotguns Mossberg 590s all have speedfeed stocks standard, have never complained about them, nor has anyone else who I have talked with about them, you being the first, though feeding from a side saddle is faster, and that is what I am looking for with the shotgun cards more then anything, being cheaper is a nice bonus as well.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Personally in what I have run i have never had an issue with the speedfeed stocks, all the guys I work with and know who carry shotguns in their patrol cars, department issue shotguns Mossberg 590s all have speedfeed stocks standard, have never complained about them, nor has anyone else who I have talked with about them, you being the first, though feeding from a side saddle is faster, and that is what I am looking for with the shotgun cards more then anything, being cheaper is a nice bonus as well.
    Glad the stocks work out for you, just passing on what our firearms unit found in that rounds could pop out under recoil.

The Esstac cards aren't cheaper when you buy a dozen or so of them

Dennis.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Glad the stocks work out for you, just passing on what our firearms unit found in that rounds could pop out under recoil.

The Esstac cards aren't cheaper when you buy a dozen or so of them

Dennis.
    I'll buzz them, most of the guys I hang out with are SWAT or former, and I have never heard them complain about them, though I can see them popping out under recoil. Then again I've seen shell fall out of POS sidesaddles as well.

As far as a dozen cards, damn, I'll likely pick up five or so and go from there. Build ain't high on my list, but its there, a long with two dozen other builds.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    SOE has shotgun cards as well. I am a firm believer of the velcro side saddle, makes to much sence not to
    C Co. 509th ABN/PFDR
    83-85

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Took the 590s out a couple days ago. Temps around 90 degrees. Easily got a corner of 3M Velcro brand adhesive strip to come off the gun when pulling the EssTac shotgun card off. Only the corners melted off and the card held firmly in place through ~100 rounds mixed bird and buck. The corners are easier to peel off now but the card is still firmly in place. Other brands or types of adhesive-backed loop material may perform differently. This performance is disconcerting and I doubt the adhesive's ability to effectively function in hot environments.

On a slightly related note, I would be interested in a rigid side saddle featuring a cantilevered mount that clamps onto the barrel. No issues with shearing pins or adhesives melting, theoretically.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pax View Post
    Took the 590s out a couple days ago. Temps around 90 degrees. Easily got a corner of 3M Velcro brand adhesive strip to come off the gun when pulling the EssTac shotgun card off. Only the corners melted off and the card held firmly in place through ~100 rounds mixed bird and buck. The corners are easier to peel off now but the card is still firmly in place. Other brands or types of adhesive-backed loop material may perform differently. This performance is disconcerting and I doubt the adhesive's ability to effectively function in hot environments.
    Try rounding the corners of the velcro as well as using real contact cement.

However, it all depends on your usage and requirements. I am sure the velcro wouldn't come off within a few uses in high heat if properly applied, but if you want something absolutely permanent with minimal maintenance then velcro may not be what you need.

Dennis.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast