Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: military cases vs. .223 questions...

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by demigod View Post
    I've not heard bad things about GUAT. I think GotM4 said it flashes like a camera. But I never read any complaints about its performance. Radway, Early PRIV M193 under the Wolf Name, and Igman come to mind as some of the piss poor propellant leaders.
    ah well that's good to hear. I actually enjoy a good muzzle flash...

with the price of .223 what it is lately i think most of what i shoot will be loaded by me.

thanks for all the help btw on my various threads.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Besides the GUAT M193, which I love to shoot, as it leaves my XM193 for classes, I also picked up 2k of the brand new, virgin GUAT brass from Wideners earlier in the year (gone now...)

Besides the smaller flash hole, GUAT brass is nice...

Rmpl
    "Our destruction... will be from another quarter. From the inattention of the people to the concerns of their government, from their carelessness and negligence..."
    ...Daniel Webster, June 1, 1837

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by demigod View Post
    You won't have ANY issues with your loads. I've been mixing mil and commercial brass for ever without any problems at all. My most common load is 3100 fps out of a 20 inch barrel... hotter than commercial .223, yet milder than 5.56 military ammo. I've never had so much as a popped primer.
    I concur. I've found it to be a real PITA to keep your brass sorted so that it doesn't have a little of this and a little of that.

This being said, my plinking ammo is mostly Military cases, and a few commercial cases (5%) mixed in. I load to the "Mid Velocity Level" (Check the manuals) for any type of Powder for my 55 gn. FMJBT w/c bullets with very good results. There is no reason to load "Hot"! All it does is wear out your Upper and Barrel Throat sooner. As long as the weapon functions with the BCG and Springs that are in it for SHTF...I think you're GTG.

You won't notice a difference in POI on 6" plates at 100 yds. with mixed cases. Until you're trying to put 5 shots through one hole like the Bench Rest Shooters, the gun and ammo will shoot better than you will from an unsupported position.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12