Thread: $500 ACOG TA01NSN...?

Feedback Score

$500 ACOG TA01NSN...?

I got a call from a buddy today saying a local surplus-type place had some military Trijicon sites for $500. I have a Reflex on my Colt 6921, and based on the price I figured they had something similar. I had no intentions of spending $500 on anything today, but I drove over for a look-see.

I have no experience with the ACOG's, but they certainly looked like what I now know is the 4x32 TA01's with back up "iron" sights on them. As I was trying to decide if they were legit or not, a guy bought the remaining 5-6 they had.

So, while I was not in the market for one, couldn't have described one to you until I came home and Googled "ACOG", and can't switch out the Reflex on my issued duty rifle for one, I still drove away feeling like "What the Hell did I just miss out on?"

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Get serial numbers and call trijicon. Also... check date codes.
    Acta Non Verba

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Try to get a date of manufacture from Trijicon based on the SN's in order to see how much time the tritium has got left. I think the cost of tritium / prism replacement is around $250, but don't quote me on that. Tritium has a half life of 12.5 years. This information should help you make a decision.

ETA: Just saw this is all hypothetical anyway, since the guy bought them all.
    Last edited by a0cake; 03-07-12 at 22:18.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by New Centurion View Post
    As I was trying to decide if they were legit or not, a guy bought the remaining 5-6 they had.
    RIF..
    Certified Glock Armorer

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    You may have missed out on a $500 headache. There are a lot of "former" military ACOGs on the market, while the fact is every ACOG that Trijicon has sold to the military is still military property. Regardless of who told whom that they could keep it, any government owned ACOG on the market is considered stolen. Always call Trijicon with the serial number of an optic before you buy it to confirm that it is not government property. If you acquire one that is government property and send it to Trijicon for a repair, you will not be getting it back. If the government decides to track down one of their optics they will take it from you and you will be left trying to get your money back from wherever you got it.
    It is extremely easy to call Trijicon and run the number and they can tell you instantly if it is government owned.