Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: advice for a 3 gun shotgun

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

3-Gun shotty

I absolutely agree with Rob S on this. Use what you have and decide what you like and what you don't. I started of shooting USPSA steel matches with the Glock 23 I happened to have. I never planned on being a competitive shooter, doing it more for fun. The Glock 23 is my carry gun and these matches let me manipulate that gun under pressure which is great practice! Not an ideal gun for the situation but it's not like I was going to be top 5 even with a race gun strapped to my hip

We have TAPS matches which I also do for fun more than anything. There are some matches that we do 3 gun. I showed up with my Glock, a pimped out Larue build with ACOG DOCTER combo and Remington 870. It was ridiculous... I like my Glock, the Larue was cumbersome the ACOG combo was slow and the 870 was okay although I would generally prefer a semi-auto. I discovered this by shooting what I had and changed my setup accordingly.

We only do an occasional 3 gun match but I now use my Sig P-226, BCM middy with Eotech and Remington 1100. I'd love to have a Benelli M2 or a FNH SLP but the 1100 is more than adequate. Long story short, go out and have fun and don't worry about the latest and greatest gear. Consider an upgrade if you find something detrimental to your performance.

Feedback Score
    I was going to buy a SLP MKI, but ended up modifying my SX3 field model for use for 3-gun. 28" barrel is really long, but if I do well, I will invest $300 for a 24" barrel.

Feedback Score
    I have thought about that as well. Do you know if an slp barrel fits it? Midway has 22" slp barrels for like $350

Feedback Score
    Alot of people are raving about the Mossberg 930...I just can't jump on that train!! I shoot an FN Mk1 22" it has a few modifications that make it easier to load and a few other goodies...after all in three gun, loading and choke selection are the name of the game. If the gun you have suits you, stays within class rules and keeps the playing field level for you go for it!! I have seen alot of guys shoot 1100's and 1187's that have been tricked out. IF the gun runs good just practice loading and patterning your gun at varied distances.

Also...check out Brian Enos's forums and website...another good site is boomershooter.com

Feedback Score
    I have shot a couple 2 gun matches, pistol/shotgun, and the first two I didn't even own a shot gun. I showed up with a box of shells and walked around asking who would let me shoot their gun. The first match I wound up shooting a FN SLP now sure the exact modle but it was bad ass. I would buy one if I had the coin and still may. The second match I took shells, asked around, ended up shooting a 1100 and I did pretty dam good with it, it worked just fine long barrel and all. Just shot a match yesterday and I took a barrowed 870 with me. I had better times than several guys who were running autos. If you want to be fast learn to put shells in your gun faster than the other guys.

Feedback Score
    Just say screw it and go all out on your end game shotty!!! :Moil:

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123