Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: M855A1 article

Feedback Score
    7 (89%)
    hey doc can you clarify on these points you posted on TOS

1. M855A1 is a good general purpose load for MG's
    2. M855A1 is definitely more accurate than recent M855, about par with Mk318 and 70 gr Optimal “browntip”
    3. From a general soft tissue terminal performance perspective, M855A1 is better and more consistent than M855 and Mk262, offering similar terminal performance to Mk318 and 70 gr Optimal “browntip”
    4. M855A1 is definitely not barrier blind when punching through automobile windshields—both Mk318 and “browntip” are better at barriers like automobile windshields. M855A1 does penetrate steel and cinder block better than M855

you say its a horrible round, yet you also say its a great general purpose round.

it has better accuracy, better barrier penetration, and better terminal ballistics than M855.

according to you, accuracy and terminal ballistics are similar with MK318 and brown tip optimized?

sounds to me like a great general purpose round.
    Last edited by sinlessorrow; 03-11-12 at 23:26.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    ...except for the small, pesky fact it burns out barrels twice as fast and will likely be snapping bolt lugs like pretzils.
    My brother saw Deliverance and bought a Bow. I saw Deliverance and bought an AR-15.

Feedback Score
    7 (89%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Heavy Metal View Post
    ...except for the small, pesky fact it burns out barrels twice as fast and will likely be snapping bolt lugs like pretzils.
    i have to agree with you there, i just found it odd to talk about how poorly its performance is in one sentence and the next say its similar to the top bullets out there.

also what makes it burn out barrels faster?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    The same cause for both. Higher chamber pressure.
    My brother saw Deliverance and bought a Bow. I saw Deliverance and bought an AR-15.

Feedback Score
    M855A1 is NOT a great carbine or rifle load for the M4. On the other hand, M855A1 is a good LMG load, just like M855. Cost and pressure are significant issues.

Feedback Score
    7 (89%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    M855A1 is NOT a great carbine or rifle load for the M4. On the other hand, M855A1 is a good LMG load, just like M855. Cost and pressure are significant issues.
    thanks for clearing that up, I had not taken the pressure into account which I will admit is far to high.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    I'd still like to point out that they've managed to produce a round that costs more than Mk262, and for the most part it seems like the bullet construction does little quantitatively better than the old M855 projectile.
    عندما تصبح الأسلحة محظورة, قد يملكون حظرون عندهم فقط
    کله چی سلاح منع شوی دی، یوازي غلوونکۍ یی به درلود
    Semper Fi
    "Being able to do the basics, on demand, takes practice. " - Sinister

Feedback Score
    Like DocGKR says it seems like a good LMG round, specially if LMGs are more tolerant of high pressure rounds (but are they?).

What is the cost difference between 70 gr browntip and M855A1? Browntip seems better suited for rifles and carbine use, and the bullet is also "green" (all copper).

Doc, how is the windshield performance of browntip vs Mk318?

What are the pros and cons of browntip vs Mk318?

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    The article refers to the increased pressure of the M855A1 round, and it's corresponding decrease in service life of various parts of the M4 carbine. So the M4's will need to be rebuilt or replaced at a faster rate than if using the MK318 round.

It also hits upon the increased cost of the round itself when compared to the MK318 loading.

Both of these cost factors when compared to the Marines choice of MK318 should be enough to make people stop and think for a minute, considering the current budget cuts at DOD.

If the accuracy, barrier penetration and terminal effectiveness is less than the MK318, to my simple mind, I can't understand the push for the M855A1. Bunny huggers be damned.

I got no issue with my tax dollars buying the best ammunition for the mission at hand. I have a huge issue if the end result is being pushed because it's someone's pet project that they're using to advance their career.

I am going to write my Congressman and ask him the same questions. He likes to stir things up, and it's an election year...

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by lanesmith View Post
    I guess this means that the BRM standards will soon be changing. Good luck scoring "Expert" with those 300 meter targets and that 5.5 MOA standard.
    It was hard enough when you've only put 160 live rounds downrange. Only 40 of which were in actual kit. Sad to think that was 11B OSUT this past summer... But back to OP.

Quote Originally Posted by Beat Trash View Post
    The article refers to the increased pressure of the M855A1 round, and it's corresponding decrease in service life of various parts of the M4 carbine. So the M4's will need to be rebuilt or replaced at a faster rate than if using the MK318 round.

It also hits upon the increased cost of the round itself when compared to the MK318 loading.

Both of these cost factors when compared to the Marines choice of MK318 should be enough to make people stop and think for a minute, considering the current budget cuts at DOD.

If the accuracy, barrier penetration and terminal effectiveness is less than the MK318, to my simple mind, I can't understand the push for the M855A1. Bunny huggers be damned.

I got no issue with my tax dollars buying the best ammunition for the mission at hand. I have a huge issue if the end result is being pushed because it's someone's pet project that they're using to advance their career.

I am going to write my Congressman and ask him the same questions. He likes to stir things up, and it's an election year...
    I feel like a lot of what the [Army especially] does is more for political reasons, sadly. And I'm glad to hear he isn't afraid to.
    Last edited by Wake27; 03-12-12 at 11:21.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast