Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Where can I get a good small stove for camping/emergencies?

Feedback Score
    you know, I've played with the fancy gas canister stoves and the multifuel stoves like the Optimus, used the old school Primus military stoves, and currently carry a collapsible titanium wood burner in my pack for testing, but to be honest, the one stove that always worked, was reasonably compact but not flimsy, was very affordable and just flat out worked and heated fast at all sorts of altitudes and all sorts of conditions ...

the Coleman single burner dual or single fuel white gas stove from walmart.

http://www.amazon.com/Coleman-1-Burn...2427908&sr=8-1

For emergencies the old school coleman dual burner stove used with the coleman white gas fuel always does the trick, and that fuel keeps for a REALLY long time. I still have a can from 1995 that I use.

I know that aint the most high tech answer or the most lightweight, but the design has been around for a long time and it still works great. The caveat with the dual fuel thing is dont mess with unleaded unles you have no other choice. it's a pain and doesnt work as well as the coleman fuel.
    Last edited by Jack-O; 03-22-12 at 09:53.
    My capacity for self deception is exceeded only by yours.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack-O View Post
    you know, I've played with the fancy gas canister stoves and the multifuel stoves like the Optimus, used the old school Primus military stoves, and currently carry a collapsible titanium wood burner in my pack for testing, but to be honest, the one stove that always worked, was reasonably compact but not flimsy, was very affordable and just flat out worked and heated fast at all sorts of altitudes and all sorts of conditions ...

the Coleman single burner dual or single fuel white gas stove from walmart.

http://www.amazon.com/Coleman-1-Burn...2427908&sr=8-1

For emergencies the old school coleman dual burner stove used with the coleman white gas fuel always does the trick, and that fuel keeps for a REALLY long time. I still have a can from 1995 that I use.

I know that aint the most high tech answer or the most lightweight, but the design has been around for a long time and it still works great. The caveat with the dual fuel thing is dont mess with unleaded unles you have no other choice. it's a pain and doesnt work as well as the coleman fuel.
    Can you explain more on what kind of reliability issues you were having? Weather at the time? High altitude?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ovlov28 View Post
    Can you explain more on what kind of reliability issues you were having? Weather at the time? High altitude?
    not exactly sure which stoves you are talking about, but the coleman just flat runs better and is easier to light using the white gas. the unleaded is a bit finicky and needs to be really fresh IME. the white gas keeps longer and you dont have to worry about it leaving residue as bad as gasoline

as to the other stoves, the multifuel had some issues with warming up the preheater well enough with deisel, and in cold or high altitudes the gas canisters can get a bit weak. in normal summer temps and altitudes under 8000 the gas stoves with the bottles run great but some are bit flimsy (a needed sacrifice for weight and well worth it). I'm not sure they save much space, as the cannister kinda balances that out. I still have and use one on occasion.

I have a military primus white gas stove that needs to be heated up properly and when it is it runs great, when it's not it's slow to heat. It is a bit bulky compared to some other options. the procedure to get it heated is to fill a indentation in the outside of the fuel tank with a bunch of gas then basically you set the whole thing on fire. looks kinda freaky but it works if you can get the fuel from IN the tank to ON the tank.

The coleman isnt the lightest or the most compact but it does work really well and the liquid fuel isnt as messy as you might thing when packed properly. bang for the buck is really high with that little coleman tho if you can deal with the extra few ounces. you really dont give up a whole lot going with one.

right now I'm keep a Vargo titanium wood burner in my day pack, but weight is a primary concern and this thing doesnt weight much, takes no extra space and is better/safer than the small open fires I'd been using to heat water.
    http://www.amazon.com/Vargo-Titanium...2444146&sr=1-1

IIRC my buddy says one tank of fuel lasts him for about 3-4 days.

you'll save space by getting a pot that fits over your stove, or vice versa finding a stove and canister that fits in your pot.
    Last edited by Jack-O; 03-22-12 at 14:34.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    MSR Pocket Rocket has served me well for a long time now, just enough stove to boil water for coffee, mountain house entrees etc.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack-O View Post
    not exactly sure which stoves you are talking about, but the coleman just flat runs better and is easier to light using the white gas. the unleaded is a bit finicky and needs to be really fresh IME. the white gas keeps longer and you dont have to worry about it leaving residue as bad as gasoline

as to the other stoves, the multifuel had some issues with warming up the preheater well enough with deisel, and in cold or high altitudes the gas canisters can get a bit weak. in normal summer temps and altitudes under 8000 the gas stoves with the bottles run great but some are bit flimsy (a needed sacrifice for weight and well worth it). I'm not sure they save much space, as the cannister kinda balances that out. I still have and use one on occasion.

I have a military primus white gas stove that needs to be heated up properly and when it is it runs great, when it's not it's slow to heat. It is a bit bulky compared to some other options. the procedure to get it heated is to fill a indentation in the outside of the fuel tank with a bunch of gas then basically you set the whole thing on fire. looks kinda freaky but it works if you can get the fuel from IN the tank to ON the tank.

The coleman isnt the lightest or the most compact but it does work really well and the liquid fuel isnt as messy as you might thing when packed properly. bang for the buck is really high with that little coleman tho if you can deal with the extra few ounces. you really dont give up a whole lot going with one.

right now I'm keep a Vargo titanium wood burner in my day pack, but weight is a primary concern and this thing doesnt weight much, takes no extra space and is better/safer than the small open fires I'd been using to heat water.
    http://www.amazon.com/Vargo-Titanium...2444146&sr=1-1

IIRC my buddy says one tank of fuel lasts him for about 3-4 days.

you'll save space by getting a pot that fits over your stove, or vice versa finding a stove and canister that fits in your pot.
    Good copy, that is what I was after, just looking to see what you were using and where it was working.
    It is pretty well known around the PNW that White Gas is the king for anything high altitude, but the canister stoves work well for general back packing and the like. Thanks for your follow up reply! Cheers!
    Last edited by ovlov28; 03-22-12 at 19:39.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    And for real KISS, I give you the Dakota Fire Hole:

http://www.survivaltopics.com/surviv...kota-fire-hole

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Armati View Post
    And for real KISS, I give you the Dakota Fire Hole:

http://www.survivaltopics.com/surviv...kota-fire-hole
    sweet, I'll have to try one of those sometime!

Feedback Score
    can you post up a pic or link to info on them?

Feedback Score
    Have this for hurricane preparedness. Two large fuel bottles and two small fuel bottles.

http://cascadedesigns.com/msr/stoves...erlite/product

Feedback Score
    I found the Coleman exponent stove on Amazon for ~$28 shipped used. Looks like they may be the original peak 1 stoves mixed in. there are still some available if anyone wants. helluva deal.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o00_s00_i00

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast