Thread: Magazine dropping problem

Feedback Score

Magazine dropping problem

New to 1911s, picked up what started out as a PT1911 but has some different components here and there, such as a different hammer, magwell, mainspring housing and sights. It's fun to shoot, but magazines don't drop free.

Or atleast, none of them drop free with the slide open.

How do you handle this during competitions? With the slide shut, it drops right now.

I also don't understand why people cover up the beautiful checkering on the front of the grip with wrap around rubber grips...this gun is crying for those little touches to be showcased with some nice wood grips!
    Last edited by JahJahwarrior; 03-12-12 at 20:55.

Feedback Score
    I'm thinking it has to do with the slide stop. When the slide is forward the slide stop is down and exerts more pressure on the magazine's follower, pushing the magazine out. When the slide is locked back by the slide stop it is up and not exerting as much pressure. With the slide locked open, see if there is positive engagement b/w the ss and the mag follower. Is the ss factory or been replaced? What kind of magazines are you using? Does this do it with all types of mags you have?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigmund Freud View Post
    A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.

Feedback Score
    Factory, no name mags. Does it with them all.

Does this typically happen with good magazines? Or how do you manage this in competitions?

Feedback Score
    taurus 1911's are not the best quality, ive seen numerous upon numerous come back from customers complaining about mags, the trigger, hammers, internals breaking, ect.....

it goes to show you what kind of company advertises a 1911 with over $2100 worth of extra and sells it for $500 and still can make money on it

Feedback Score
    steevo's response is quite accurate.

You didn't answer all my questions. Please do so we can further help you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigmund Freud View Post
    A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.

Feedback Score
    I know a lot of people dislike Taurus. I've been very pleasantly surprised by Taurus quality in mouseguns (tcp, compared to Keltec and Ruger) and 9mm (the Taurus version of the Beretta 92). I also did a lot of research before plunking down the money on this, and I'm convinced it's worth the money...but I didn't pay retail

I'm fairly certain the slide stop is factory.

I dug out all the magazines, most of which are no name. But I found one that is stamped....manufacturer 30745. I threw in in because it was the only one I can identify as coming from a specific company, and it does engage the slide stop, and it does seem to fall out correctly with the slide locked back.

I guess that I helped answer my own question: unmarked, no name magazines aren't useful when you want a magazine to drop free Now I see why people recommend high quality magazines!

Next step: identifying the magwell and mainspring housing.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    The 2 factory mags that came with my new Colt are a lot harder to simply insert and get past the mag release than the Chip McCormick I bought with it. I'd heard Colt mags suck, though I think the catch needs to be worn in a little. Still, some quality mags like those or Wilson's go far in 1911's, from what I understand.
    Sic semper tyrannis.