Thread: Springfield loaded model: extra 'click' in safety

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Springfield loaded model: extra 'click' in safety

I've searched for a while but can't find this answer anywhere. I've got a used , full size Springfield 1911 with only a few thousand rounds through it. Carried much, shot 'a bit'. However, when I move the safety down (to the off position), there's an extra click. Its not a hard stop like my other 1911. Its like there's overtravel.

Is this normal with use? Time to replace the safety?
    The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws. - Ayn Rand

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Check the "divot" in the safety.. Where the plunger rests. You might need to shape it a-bit.. Ron
    Ain't no pockets on a shroud..

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    It's just shoddy fitting that won't hurt anything, but annoys the hell out of me. My one real complaint with RIA guns is that they often exhibit this.

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    When do you hear the click? With the hammer cocked and the safety engaged, do you hear the click as the safety is being disengaged? or does it click after the safety is disengaged and you're able to move it down a little?

If you hear a click while disengaging the safety you might need to have it looked at. If it clicks after its already disengaged, it is just a matter of overtravel and isn't anything to worry about.
    Quote Originally Posted by RichDC2 View Post
    That rifle has won trophies for its game face alone!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Thanks much for the responses. I'll look into the fitting tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by amd5007 View Post
    When do you hear the click? With the hammer cocked and the safety engaged, do you hear the click as the safety is being disengaged? or does it click after the safety is disengaged and you're able to move it down a little?

If you hear a click while disengaging the safety you might need to have it looked at. If it clicks after its already disengaged, it is just a matter of overtravel and isn't anything to worry about.
    It's the bolded scenario. The safety is functional and secure, it's just the 'over travel'. Not the end of the world if it doesn't affect function, but I'd rather fix it if possible.
    The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws. - Ayn Rand

Feedback Score
    I've had a few safeties that did this. A couple ways to remedy: reshape the detent on the safety when in the off position so it doesn't spring back upwards. I've also used other grips which prevent this 'overtravel' when the safety lever hits the top of the grip. You could also replace the safety. I never cared much for the Springfield safety lever shape and always replace mine with Cylinder and Slide models. But this issue should not cause your pistol problems otherwise.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigmund Freud View Post
    A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    You have a couple options. The first thing I would do is detail strip the pistol. Then I would replace the slide stop plunger / plunger spring / and safety plunger with new factory parts from a good reputable manufacturer. (It might make more sense and cents to purchase a spring kit and pin set and replace all the springs and pins) It might be as simple as that.

If the previous owner fiddled with the safety (to make it move more easily between engagement and disengagement) you might need to invest in a new thumb safety.

The last option would be to do a lot of research and then alter the geometry of the recess on the side of the safety that presses against the safety plunger.

But I don't think there is too much trouble with it.

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    Or, you can do what I recommended and/or purchase a Colt matte blue thumb safety from midwayusa. It was only like $25 and dropped in. I didn't like the sharper edges of the stock springfield safety so I switched it out, along with the hammer, sear, disconnector, and mainspring housing.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Do you know if the previous owner went frankenstien on it?

Ive had this happen twice. One was detent spring and the other I just replaced the saftey, spring and detent because I knew the guy who owned it liked using his dremel. And he did.