View Poll Results: Which upgrade will improve accuracy more?

Voters
72. You may not vote on this poll
  • new trigger

18 25.00%
  • new stock

54 75.00%
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Change Trigger or Stock on Rem 700 SPS

Feedback Score

Change Trigger or Stock on Rem 700 SPS

I have a Rem 700 SPS Tactical (I dislike using that word) and I want to increase it's accuracy.

I want to change to a Timney trigger or a B&C stock. Yes I know I should do both and probably will at some point.

My SWAG is a smoother trigger will effect accuracy more than a new stock.

So my vote is a new trigger will improve accuracy more than a new stock.

Yes training/practice will improve my accuracy more than any hardware and I'm working on that.
    Last edited by NavyDavy55; 03-14-12 at 18:44.
    "You won't rise to the ocassion, you'll default to your level of training." Barrett Tillman

NRA LE Handgun/Shotgun Instructor
    Pa ACT235 Firearms Instructor
    Certified Glock Armorer

Feedback Score
    Change the stock...

The SPS stock leaves a lot to be desired. The stock is about as rigid as a Tuperware bowl. Get a new stock and float and bed the action and barrel. You first need to start with a stable platform. The trigger is not going to do this.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by The Surgeon View Post
    Change the stock...

The SPS stock leaves a lot to be desired. The stock is about as rigid as a Tuperware bowl. Get a new stock and float and bed the action and barrel. You first need to start with a stable platform. The trigger is not going to do this.
    Guess that goes to show how much I know about rifles, but it does make sense.

Looks like I'll be ordering a new stock if this poll is accurate.
    "You won't rise to the ocassion, you'll default to your level of training." Barrett Tillman

Certified Glock Armorer

Feedback Score
    I agree on new stock. I have a Savage 10FCP in .308 which came with their new accustock. It was a decent shooter and got me through basic LE precision rifle class. I then upgraded to an HS Precision stock before the LE Scoped Rifle Operator class and it made a world of difference. Trigger control is going to make or break you more than the trigger itself. Maybe just have the trigger worked on by a good smith if you're still set on a new trigger after going with the upgraded stock.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jrb78usaf View Post
    I agree on new stock. I have a Savage 10FCP in .308 which came with their new accustock. It was a decent shooter and got me through basic LE precision rifle class. I then upgraded to an HS Precision stock before the LE Scoped Rifle Operator class and it made a world of difference. Trigger control is going to make or break you more than the trigger itself. Maybe just have the trigger worked on by a good smith if you're still set on a new trigger after going with the upgraded stock.
    JrB is right about the trigger. You can get one reworked whole lot cheaper than buying a upgrade. Depending on the smith doing the work, the re-worked trigger can be very good. I have a factory Rem that has been re-worked and its great. Its no Jewel, but its a great little trigger now.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    The Hogue stock is a major impediment to the performance of this rifle. I changed both the trigger (to a Timney) and the stock to a B&C Medalist before I fired the first shot through it. The stock trigger was really not that bad, but a tad heavy. But my vote is the Hogue has to go first!

See link in my sig below.
    EDC Light Builder | No Nonsense Everyday Carry Flashlights

Feedback Score
    I ordered a Bell & Carlson Remington 700 Light Tactical Stock from Brownells. Got free shipping cause I'm Irish!

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=2...TACTICAL-STOCK

Why do manufacturers have to call so many parts tactical?

I also ordered a Timney trigger. Thank God it's not tactical.

Certified Glock Armorer

Feedback Score
    That is a nice stock! You'll love the trigger also.

They label stuff "tactical" because it sells. With games like Call of Duty, Battle Field, etc and Movies like Shooter, BlackHawk Down, and the new Act of Valor people (Mall Ninjas) are wanting tactical and mil-spec equipment. You would be surprised as to how many folks want tactical equipment.

I'm guilty of it, to some degree. I have an McMillan A5 tactical stock on my 308. Do I want to "Be Like Mike"? No, but I damn sure like the stock.
    Last edited by The Surgeon; 03-17-12 at 05:49.

Feedback Score
    Oh, by the way. Be sure to bed and float the stock. Some folks do not necessarily think you have to, but I do this on all my factory and aftermarket stocks. It will indeed stabilize the stock and action giving you a better overall group.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Gotta do both. I chose trigger first. It really depends if you lean on your stock a lot. It really is hard to say which sucks worse.

I guess it depends on $$$, the trigger is much cheaper.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast