Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: MRP 18" SS vs. custom SPR upper

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

MRP 18" SS vs. custom SPR upper

OK - tired of ****ing around with guns that won't shoot.

I'm looking for a no-shit half-minute or better upper. Would it be better to have ADCO or BCM build me a Mk12-style upper, or will the MRP with the 18" 1:7 barrel do what I need to do? I would prefer the monolithic upper, all other things being equal, but if the gilt-edge accuracy isn't there with that barrel then I can go another way.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Larue? Aren't they supposed to have an accuracy guarantee?
    Semper Paratus Certified AR15 Armorer

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by QuietShootr View Post

I'm looking for a no-shit half-minute or better upper. Would it be better to have ADCO or BCM build me a Mk12-style upper, or will the MRP with the 18" 1:7 barrel do what I need to do? I would prefer the monolithic upper, all other things being equal, but if the gilt-edge accuracy isn't there with that barrel then I can go another way.
    Man, that's a pretty tall order. My BCM MK12 is in the arena but it's a 1/2 - 3/4 MOA gun. Hell, my real MK12 was a 3/4 to 1 MOA gun (although that was probably due to being limited to MK262).

The BCM SS410 barrels are great, but if you are looking for ultimate accuracy, you really need to look at an actual match grade barrel, which even BCM, Noveske, etc., do not offer.

If you have the money and don't mind waiting on a custom barrel, talk to the guys at Krieger ( http://www.kriegerbarrels.com/ ) about what you're looking for and figure out a contour. The BCM SS410 contour is great for a tactical rifle, but if you want absolute accuracy you'll need to go a bit heavier, especially with an 18'' barrel.

Once you get the barrel in hand, mate it to a VLTOR VIS, Ranier Ultra Match Billet Upper, or a Larue Billet upper and you should be in business.
    Last edited by a0cake; 03-15-12 at 11:59.

Feedback Score
    I have the Rifle lenght MRP with the 18 inch SS barrel. I've had rifle out at a local FL SPR shoot about a year ago. It performed, accuracy wise, very similar to "correct" Mk12 clone rifles built by the usual names in the SPR biz (Wes of MSTN, ADCO and some others that I cannot recall). There was one competition where we had the best 10 shot group at 100 yds. This was a group of at least 30 rifles. All of the groups were very close to each other and it was more user error that prevented a better showing on my part. I was satisified with the hardware's performance.

I don't know if you are trying to build a clone or not though. i.e OPS Inc break and collar, correct gas block....so on and so forth. The LMT is not that.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    If you've already got the MRP upper, the 18" SS barrel will do it. Spend the rest on whichever match trigger works best for you (SSA-E comes to mind).

If you're looking at a whole new upper - Any of the BCM, Noveske, Centurion, HighCaliberSales, or ADCO units will do, and 18" or 16" are viable options. The Centurion and HCS are a pretty beefy barrel, but it's not the thickest setup, just a medium contour compromise for tactical use with some accuracy.

As far as twist rate, I haven't seen anything conclusive to be concerned with 1:7 or 1:8, as far as the other parts, the LT Upper, RA Ultramatch, or MUR-1A all come to mind, and I'd probably toss a DD handguard on there (a long Lite rail or RIS-II M4).

I have a thicker contour 16.5" Douglas barrel from ADCO - it keeps up with the Mk12 Centurion upper I have for accuracy, and I don't think 77gr .223 pressure BH is that upper's favorite load. It may be worth considering the shorter barrel if you're not pushing it past 600m ever, or aren't as concerned about wind over hundreds of yards, since the shorter barrel is a more rigid one.
    عندما تصبح الأسلحة محظورة, قد يملكون حظرون عندهم فقط
    کله چی سلاح منع شوی دی، یوازي غلوونکۍ یی به درلود
    Semper Fi
    "Being able to do the basics, on demand, takes practice. " - Sinister

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I didn't realize you already had the MRP upper (do you?) Isn't there a place that will take standard barrels and convert them to work on the MRP? If so, seems like having that done to a Krieger would be an optimal solution.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by a0cake View Post
    Man, that's a pretty tall order. My BCM MK12 is in the arena but it's a 1/2 - 3/4 MOA gun. Hell, my real MK12 was a 3/4 to 1 MOA gun (although that was probably due to being limited to MK262).

The BCM SS410 barrels are great, but if you are looking for ultimate accuracy, you really need to look at an actual match grade barrel, which even BCM, Noveske, etc., do not offer.

If you have the money and don't mind waiting on a custom barrel, talk to the guys at Krieger ( http://www.kriegerbarrels.com/ ) about what you're looking for and figure out a contour. The BCM SS410 contour is great for a tactical rifle, but if you want absolute accuracy you'll need to go a bit heavier, especially with an 18'' barrel.

Once you get the barrel in hand, mate it to a VLTOR VIS, Ranier Ultra Match Billet Upper, or a Larue Billet upper and you should be in business.
    Do you not like the Rock barrels? I have seen some pretty impressive groups out of them but this is your area of expertise so I'm curios what you don't like about them.... I was under the impression that his barrels where highly regarded in the precision arena.

My standard MRP barrel is an inch or slightly better with 69gr SMK's...

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by a0cake View Post
    I didn't realize you already had the MRP upper (do you?) Isn't there a place that will take standard barrels and convert them to work on the MRP? If so, seems like having that done to a Krieger would be an optimal solution.
    No, I don't have the upper. I was just thinking all other things being equal the MRP would be easier to get the same end result.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by d90king View Post
    Do you not like the Rock barrels? I have seen some pretty impressive groups out of them but this is your area of expertise so I'm curios what you don't like about them.... I was under the impression that his barrels where highly regarded in the precision arena.

My standard MRP barrel is an inch or slightly better with 69gr SMK's...
    Are the Rock barrels for the LMT MRP's the cut rifling match grade barrels or the pull buttoned OEM production grade barrels? There's a difference. It's the same thing as the difference between Krieger and its sister company Criterion (BCM SS410). If they are in fact the cut rifled match barrels, or if those barrels can be fitted to an MRP, I'd call that a great solution also. I don't own an MRP nor do I have a ton of trigger time, but they are clearly accurate guns. My recommendation wasn't a condemnation of the MRP at all. I've just traditionally used Krieger and its my first instinct to go that route when going for accuracy above all else.
    Last edited by a0cake; 03-15-12 at 15:07.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by QuietShootr View Post

Did you try handloading for the barrel you already have.
    "After I shot myself, my training took over and I called my parents..." Texas Grebner

"Take me with a grain of salt, my sarcasm does not relate well over the internet"

Jonathan Morehouse

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast