Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: anybody using russian optics on their AR?

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    Not on my AR, but I do have a PK-01 on one of my AK's. It washes out on a moderately sunny day. I know a few guys who swear by the Kobra. It's decent, but not in the same league as Aimpoint. Personally I'd save the cash for an Aimpoint if I were you.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    any consensus on a decent 4x scope? no red dot, nothing fancy.

maybe a 3-9.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    It all depends on what you want to do with it. A magnified optic is great for bench rest shooting, but anything dynamic and it will SUCK, unless you get a low powered set up, something like a 1.5-6x.
    Employee of colonialshooting.com

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Templar View Post
    It all depends on what you want to do with it. A magnified optic is great for bench rest shooting, but anything dynamic and it will SUCK, unless you get a low powered set up, something like a 1.5-6x.
    i'm basically talking bench rest. or some offhand range use. i'm pretty committed to trying to master the irons, but i'd like a scope as well for some fun plinking and stuff.

i just can't justify any of the higher end combat sights for current situation. hell i honestly don't believe in batteries for a SHTF situation.

1.5-6x would be a nice range though. if i dropped like 150 or something on a bushnell or similar scope would that hold up ok?

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    It should hold up fine for range use.

I wouldn't go below a Bushnell 3200 series, or a Nikon ProStaff.

If you go with an Aimpoint M2, M3, or M4, the batteries last YEARS, even with the optic left on.

Quote Originally Posted by skyugo View Post
    i'm basically talking bench rest. or some offhand range use. i'm pretty committed to trying to master the irons, but i'd like a scope as well for some fun plinking and stuff.

i just can't justify any of the higher end combat sights for current situation. hell i honestly don't believe in batteries for a SHTF situation.

1.5-6x would be a nice range though. if i dropped like 150 or something on a bushnell or similar scope would that hold up ok?
    Employee of colonialshooting.com

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Templar View Post
    It should hold up fine for range use.

I wouldn't go below a Bushnell 3200 series, or a Nikon ProStaff.

If you go with an Aimpoint M2, M3, or M4, the batteries last YEARS, even with the optic left on.
    thanks man. i guess i coulda just asked on akforum.

Feedback Score
    I have the AA battery version of the kobra on an AK47. I really like the sight. I have had no problems with it and my AK is much more fun to shoot now, especially since scoring hits on targets is alot easier. I use mine for range shooting and hunting.

I have looked through the high end optics, EO Techs, Aimpoints, ACOGS, and they are nicer. The ACOG is definitely more durable than a Kobra, too. Those high end optics have sharper and clearer glass, too.

The Kobra is also heavier than those optics, even in the weaver rail version. I like my Kobra on my AK, but I'm not sure I would run it on an AR.

If you want a cheaper option on an AR, check out the C More sights www.cmore.com , the Burris Speed Dot http://www.burrisoptics.com/tactical2.html , or the SPOT aimpoint-like sight.

I currently really want an ACOG or a high end 1-4 variable scope with illumination for my AR15, which simply has flip up iron sights right now. But I will most likely go with that Burris Speed Dot. I have 2 Burris variables on some hunting rifles, and they are great scopes for the money, in my experiences. Plus they are American made and have good warranties.

Feedback Score
    If you're looking for a red dot type, you can score used Aimpoint M2's for about $300. I'd much rather spend that than half as much for a non-Aimpoint/Eotech.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12