Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ok, so I'm getting a Colt...

Feedback Score

Ok, so I'm getting a Colt...

Let me start out by saying that I have never owned an AR style rifle. I am an ex SASS shooter and have always traded in single action revolvers and lever action rifle, plus the occasional coach shotgun. This is brand new to me, forgive my ignorance on some things.

After a couple weeks of research on this site, numerous other searches online and trips to vendor sites, I have decided to purchase a Colt M4. The local Helmart has an unbeatable price and I can't justify paying more for the same rifle anywhere else. Correct me if I'm wrong, the Colt will be an excellent all-around weapon, hunting, target shooting and when the SHTF I can protect my family from mutant zombie bikers.

My question to everyone, after I buy the rifle and zero it in what else needs to be done to it? Nuts tightened, staking, naked fire dancing, sacrifice to the gods? I appreciate all comments and information.

Thanks
    Last edited by LoTech1138; 03-18-12 at 08:56.

Feedback Score
    Your decision to purchase a Colt should have been made to avoid having to do anything to make it a reliable weapon. Buy a bunch of ammo and shoot it extensively and get some training classes to go along with it.

Feedback Score
    shoot and enjoy it, a lot .

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by emt370 View Post
    Your decision to purchase a Colt should have been made to avoid having to do anything to make it a reliable weapon. Buy a bunch of ammo and shoot it extensively and get some training classes to go along with it.
    This is what I have been reading, but being totally new to this style of weapon I wanted to make sure I'm not missing anything. Thanks for the comment.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by philipeggo View Post
    shoot and enjoy it, a lot .
    That's the plan!

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Your Colt won't need anything, really. Everything should already be properly staked, etc. If anything, get yourself a quality sling. I just bought the Vickers Sling from botachtactical.com for $40 with free shipping. I know some people don't like Botach but you can't beat that price for one of the best slings available, and shipping was fast/free.

Otherwise, get some Pmags and lots of ammo; preferably NATO spec 5.56.... If you truly have some extra money to put into it then I'd consider taking a carbine course. After some range time and a class, I don't think you'll be asking this question because you'll already have a pretty good idea of what's going to work for you.
    Last edited by djmorris; 03-18-12 at 09:10.

Feedback Score
    Great rifle. I echo a good sling, lots of mags (good gi's or my preference pmags. If obummer gets reelected I worry about aw ban again and no mags available. Plenty of ammo, shoot decent stuff though. Good 5.56 is the way to go. and everything else will be for preference or fit not function. Great choice and congrats on the rifle

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Good choice. There are several items you can buy.

Mags at least 20 but 40 is better.
    Cleaning kit.
    Good two point sling.
    Red dot sight plus a mount.
    Ammo and most important is training.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by chamber143 View Post
    Great rifle. I echo a good sling, lots of mags (good gi's or my preference pmags. If obummer gets reelected I worry about aw ban again and no mags available. Plenty of ammo, shoot decent stuff though. Good 5.56 is the way to go. and everything else will be for preference or fit not function. Great choice and congrats on the rifle
    Quote Originally Posted by SpankMonkey View Post
    Good choice. There are several items you can buy.

Mags at least 20 but 40 is better.
    Cleaning kit.
    Good two point sling.
    Red dot sight plus a mount.
    Ammo and most important is training.
    Thanks for the comments. I am planning to buy as many mags as possible, reading good things about Pmags. Also looking at a new guard with rails as the the LE6920 has none. Is Magpul good stuff? Eventually I would like to remove the carry handle and install a good back sight. I'm checking into available training in my area. What costs can I expect for training?

Thanks to all for taking time to help me out!

Feedback Score
    Most magpul stuff is vErY nice. I don't like the mbus or the ASAP or a few other things. But the handguards are very sturdy the miad grip is great and there ctr stocks are solid. As far as training it depends it can run from a couple hundred to close to a grand. It all depends on the class. But I recommend training over all other things. Its the only thing that will make you a better shooter. Have fun and be safe

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast